Borrow Exhaust Wrench in Columbus Ohio this wknd?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by swanker, Feb 22, 2013.

1. swanker

swanker Shadetree Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have an exhaust wrench I could borrow this weekend in Columbus, Ohio?
    I have one on order but had set aside time this weekend to take my heads off and get the cylinders honed.

:freaky

thanks!
  2. erimille

erimille Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'd be more than welcome to use mine, but I'm afraid I'm on the road until next Friday. FWIW, I have one of these [1] and it works like champ. If for some reason you still might need it then, let me know.

--eric

[1] http://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29_33_51&products_id=346
  3. swanker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric,
    I should have mine delivered by then. Wasn't thinking when I told my machine shop guy I'd bring him my jugs this Sunday for him to hone.
    Btw, get together/ride with many CBUS airheads?
    Was thinking of joining the local chapter that meets at King Ave Five.
  4. erimille

erimille Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries. Again happy to offer next weekend (when i return) if for some reason you still need this.

I suspect you know this, but if you're like me at this point you're thinking of alternative ways in which you can get this nut off in time. Resist. This is one place where the right tool makes all the difference (you don't want to know how i know this ;) ).

I don't know anyone else in Columbus riding (old) airheads. Shoot me details, I'd be happy to get together and compare notes.

--e
  5. swanker

Oddometer:
    This place is great!
    robsmoto generously loaned me his wrench and I also got a great amount of information on how to tackle my job. Can't wait to wrench with him this spring/summer (he's got a great stable).

:clap
  6. erimille

erimille Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah excellent! Glad to see things worked out. If a few more columbus airheads surface on this list I think this might call for a tech day ;)

--e (feeling quite alone in CMH until this thread)
  7. d mc gee

d mc gee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When and where?

If your into Face Book Ohio Airheads
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/194571037229015/
  8. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oooo an Ohio Airmarshall sighting!You tell US when and where o mighty one!:deal:lol3

(I'm almost 60 by the way,I dont do facebook!)
  9. robsmoto

robsmoto Motorcycleton

Oddometer:
    For the past several years a feller in Hilliard (west side of Columbus) has hosted an airhead tech session in April. I don't know if he is going to do it again this year, though. I've not seen anything about it - perhaps Mr. McGee knows. Doug McGee is a cool dude - an iceman - No Really! He is the iceman at a number of beeg rallys in hot July.

[I don't do Facebook either.]

Here are a couple of photos from last year's airhead tech day in Hilliard - plenty of space to work on bikes and sit around and chat. A previous owner and current owner of a R100RT work on replacing leaking pushrod seals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know"Mr" McGee,just bustin his balls.Puttin the MOA ahead of the "Airmarshall"duties has been a sore spot with me but I'm comparing him to a great one,Todd Byrum of Pa.Doug and I are cool,for now!:deal:lol3:1drink

By the way ,I have a great candidate for a tech day!

[​IMG]
  11. d mc gee

Oddometer:
    If we could get you to attend the Ohio gatherings, then maybe they wouldn't peter out. Rob remember the "up the creek campout"? Died from lack of attendance. One of the pluses with helping out the MOA is I am generally there early enough to help set up AirCentral. There have been several occasions that I've had to handle the set up completely so it's ready to hand off, once other Airheads get there. I have to agree Todd sets the bar pretty high. Although the didn't have much in the way of beer at Bloomsburg.:evil Sometimes you have to shame people into contributing to the kitty. (beer fund)

Lets set a date and time for your /5. Unless you want me to set up a date and time to work on your bike at your place.:deal Usually takes a month or two to finally see something in the Airmail.

Oh BTW...The Airheads usually have the coldest beer.:rofl:D

[​IMG]
  12. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Just as an aside, all having been said and done, You can just pull the heads with the header pipes intact. Take them off later. The heads have parrallel surfaces so they are easy to clamp to the bench with some sticks and clamps...or just have a buddy hold them. I don't quite understand deciding the barrels need honing before you have looked at them. They only need honing if they are worn enough honing will help and not so worn they need to be bored oversize. It's kind of a fine line in there. Honing when it isn't needed will hurt. You basically do a huge amount of wear (in terms of miles for equivalent wear) for no reason.

There are some methods for getting the nuts off without a proper or properly homemade wrench. They are labor intensive. I want to get one of those compact wrenches to carry on the road---thus far I have been relying on my native wit and leaving the big wrench at home.
  13. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I said dude,I'm bustin your balls.:feelgoodWe'd love to have a tech day,or at your place.I figure there's lots of 'heads with-in a 100 mile radius of either of us.All my bikes could use help!And I remember how cold the beer was @ Lima.:1drinkLets do something this year.I will help.:thumb
  14. d mc gee

Oddometer:
    My place is a cluster f***. I'd have to borrow an exhaust nut wrench too.
  15. erimille

erimille Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey! I was there last year (and in fact helped hang those signs). As I recall, Rick holds this the first week in April ("Frühlings" = "Spring") but I too haven't heard of anything scheduled yet. If he's going to do this again, I'd certainly be interested in attending again and helping out where ever possible. I'm afraid I couldn't stay long, but for the short bit I was there, it was quite a good time.

If for some reason Rick isn't going to hold this, I might be able to offer space. That said, I'm afraid my garage, tools and knowledge are a only the tiniest of a fraction in comparison.

--e

ps: hmm... i can't seem to locate my pictures from last years Frühling tune up fest, but i was the guy riding the toaster

[​IMG]