XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    Details please.... :tb

You're such a tease... :lol3

:beer
  2. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I managed to get my grip heaters installed today. Never being one to leave anything alone, I decided that they needed improvement.:lol3 I wired a relay into the circuit so they are only hot when the key is on (I know I will forget and leave the toggle switch on:evil) and I ditched the resistor and wired in a turn signal flasher in its place. I had several extra flashers in the tool box, so I figured I would give it a try. After all, I read about it on the Internet, so it must work:wink:. The driveway test indicates that it does, indeed work! Hopefully tomorrow will yield a more thorough test.:D
  3. award900

award900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be careful with how the throttle side wires exit the grip. I broke a wire last weekend. I had been using the heaters for a few weeks, and loving them. I read about zip tieing them to the grip, to protect the contacts, so I did it, and it broke three hours later. I think I had put too much of a bend at the soldered contacts, and broke one. Im thinking there might be enough room to slide the heater down the grip a bit so the wire exits the grip away from the contacts, then zip tie it. Just something to look out for. It sucks bringing the thin gloves, and the losing a heater.
  4. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, your carbon fiber looks simply badass!!!! This will be a super sweet build when it's complete!

Your skills are quite impressive! I love the dash, front fender/fork slider protection, the side panel/rear fender assembly.... SWEET!!!!!! This deserves its own thread..

Please keep the updates current?
  5. 3girlsdad

3girlsdad aka FiddyK Supporter

Oddometer:
    shultz - i've been looking at oil coolers from about 50 different bikes. can yo provide any pics of your oil cooler install?

thanks, and can't wait to see your finished product :1drink

paul
  6. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    That front fender is amazing! any details?:freakyThat rear fender is really nice as well, any chance you would be making some for sale??
  7. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is the signal flasher better than the resistor?
  8. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    The resistor is famously fragile and also reduces the power to the heater by turning it into heat. So... you have to be careful where you put it. The flasher simply steps down the juice to the heater by cycling it on and off repeatedly. Besides... if you haven't figured it out yet. I have to try shit just to see if it works:lol3
    Fortunately that spirit of experimentation never found its way into other parts of my life (kind of hard to stay married it if did!):eek1:wink:
  9. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I paid attention to that when I was installing them. I zip ties the wire to the grip as well as ran a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the area where it bends. I wanted to have the wires run straight off the heater pad, tape them to the throttle tube and then bend the wires, but dont have a long enough throttle tube to allow such a thing to happen. We shall see what happens. I'll take my usual heavy and thin gloves, just in case.
  10. Schultz!

Schultz! Recovering Lurker

Oddometer:
    I found one on ebay just now it is a 80ish GS 750 cooler. http://www.ebay.com/itm/83-Suzuki-G...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2325647112&vxp=mtr

The oil cooler was the driving motivation for the low mount fender so i could mount it on the down tube with out interferance from A SM fender i had already made (any one want a CF re pop of a I think ufo super moto fender?).
    With were i have it mounted it will interfere physically and wont provide any airflow unless you chop the back side of your fender off.

here are a few better pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. ReferJohn

ReferJohn 4th Gear pinned> you'll make it

Oddometer:
    Red- in your sig line^ with a few stock parts left---- is your stator stock? is your throttle tube stock?
    my throttle tube is stock and seems slight bit shorter that a regular mx/trail bike tube.
  12. Schultz!

Oddometer:

Thanks for the complements! sadly no I will not trying to be selling any of this stuff as it takes my gimp ass forever to make them. But I will show off the mold for the fender, all it was was a flebay off of a 2007 GSXR 1000, trimmed her up and hogged out the fork holes to fit the showa fork guards in there. then i just went to the local hobby store and bought some tin sheeting ( flexes a hell of lot easier then sheet metal) and hot glued it to the fork cutout holes. i really liked the way it turned out just peeved I wasted a ton of time making a normal sm fender first.

Fender mold, in the background you can see a little of the rear body mold. Made that like old school wooden boats or kinda like the balsa wood airplane kits.[​IMG]
    Fender originally made up
    [​IMG]
  13. Schultz!

Oddometer:

Thanks for the praise! Ive read through that CW bike build of yours a few times loads of goodies on that bad lil oinker, but if every ones ok with it ill just pop in here now and again to say hola and making posting pics. Making a tread requires me to update it often or the other inmate tend to get restless and riotous when there has not been a recent update.

As far as updates goes I removed the anodizing off the fork tubes and front rotor (not a fan of gold ) using good old oven cleaner (some really nasty shit) and a aluminum bristled brush. polished the fork tubes and think ill paint the center of the rotor black to match the rear.

Pre oven cleaner
    [​IMG]

Let soak for about 10 min
    [​IMG]

After scrubbing it with the brush a while (wear gloves i cant stress enough that is some nasty shit) tada most of the anodizing is gone
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the fork tubes, like it allot better
    [​IMG]
  14. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Stator is stock. Throttle tube is not. Throttle is off of a CRF. The CRF throttle pulls full throttle with less rotation than the XRL throttle.
  15. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Oven cleaner's awesome. I have used it several times to strip anodizing off of archery parts (easy way to turn a hunting sight into a polished tournament sight):lol3 You gotta be careful though as it will etch the shit out of the surface if you let it sit too long (YES... there is a story:evil)
  16. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

You in a hurry to get somewhere?
  17. Schultz!

Oddometer:
    When the liquor store closes in 5 min and your out of beer everything helps I suppose :evil:freaky
  18. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    He's probabaly to lazy to have to turn the throttle that much. :lol3 It could be that or he doesn't want to strain his drinkin hand... :1drink

A quick throttle is nice when you use it like a on/off switch thou. :huh

:beer
  19. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, ludicrous $$. They are a lot of us smoker fans. Both Steve and CW have them and I think Spud too!
  20. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know it the timing cover caps from the CRFs fit our bikes? I can get some blingy ones cheap!