Thinking of getting a Harley Fat Bob

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hammerdown77, May 27, 2014.

1. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a big hd fan myself, but man that switchback is one good looking bike. And it looks like it could be pretty fun and nimble since it doesnt have the bulk and weight of the rk. But I bet those bags are tiny and not so useful.
  2. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Bags are a little small.
    But I'm a light traveler.

I had my heart set on an rk
    But at 5'9" it just wasn't comfortable.
    Switchback fits just perfect.
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Low Rider" Is just the name.

The Fat Bob was my favorite Harley until they reintroduced the new 2014.5 Low Rider. :deal

6'5"
  4. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:

Really... hmmm. It's looking very interesting as a daily commuter. It's relatively light, but comfy and seems to be able to pack the basics you need on a daily basis. I can't believe I'm getting mesmorized by an HD of all things. Victory needs to get off their arse and build a lighter bagger. The cross roads is too darn big and heavy. This switchback looks to be just the rigth size for what I'd like to commute on.
  5. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    It's a great bike.
    It was my first brand new bike and I don't have any intentions of ever selling.
    Wanted a forever bike and found it.

Just a word of warning:
    If you're interested, test ride a few and tune into the vibes.
    I rode 2 and one was completely awful, the second was a whole different animal.
  6. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For you Victory guys, have they done away with the Cross Roads with the hard bags and windscreen? All they seem to have now is the 8-ball (no cruise or ABS, no screen, but with hard bags), and the Classic (screen and leather-like, smaller bags).

I thought there was a model of the Cross Roads that was dressed in basically the same config as the Harley Road King, but I'm not seeing it anymore.

I think that's the one I'd want if I got the bigger touring bike. The Cross Country is nice, but I don't know that I'd have the need for the fairing with the infotainment stuff. I like the clear screen and hard bags, like the RK and Switchback have.
  7. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like for 2014 only the 8-ball and the classic cross roads are available. You might be able to find a 2013 left over some place.
  8. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting me know. Sounds like quality control is still an unmastered art at HD. :huh

Me getting a HD is a probably a long shot, but I will be checking the switchbach out when I have a chance, because to me for my purposes it does seem attractive.
  9. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You people have me doing homework on the switchback now. I am finding less and less reasons not to like it. Especially since it looks like everyone who is 6ft( my height) experiences no buffeting with the stock windshield, which really is a miracle, because most times you have to replace the windshield with one that is the correct height for you. Unfortunately for the op it looks like guys at 6.2 and taller were getting significant buffeting on the highway with the stock windshield. Not a deal breaker, just means you'd be buying a new shield off the bat.
  10. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Often when there are vibes at speed on a rubber-mount Harley (which is rare) someone mounting the exhaust pipes have allowed them to touch the frame in a manner that transmits the engine's movement. This is usually a very easy fix.

Nonetheless, your advice to confirm that the vibrations of a motorcycle are something you can live with is very good information.
  11. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    I understand normal HD rubber mount vibes,
    this is not my first.

But nearly all the folks on the switchback forums have had a very irritating high frequency buzz between 2800 and 3200 rmps.

Most have found the cure with a $2 clevis pin.
    some not, and are either experiencing shitty build quality,
    or are just idiots and don't know what a HD feels like.
  12. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that just an issue with the Switchback? With all Dynas? Or with the 103 rubber mounted motors in the Dyna platform in particular?

This Fat Bob I test rode had some really strong vibes through a low rpm range, but it was mainly felt when decelerating through that range. Cruising on the highway, I didn't really notice anything. This FB has the 96 ci motor, though.
  13. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Likewise...I get the history of the name, however this time I wish the marketers would have named it something different.
  14. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    I'm only versed in the FLDs problems.

From what we gather, there is a unique vibe to the switchback @ 3k +/- 200k rpm,
    that most attribute to the bike's rear exhaust hanger.

This isn't the big pumping vibes that HDs have,
    that twist and shout.
    This is more like, all of a sudden someone shoved a dentist's drill up your ass.
  15. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stopped by an HD dealer on my way home to look at the SB. I honestly thought it was very nicely laid out for my frame (6ft). It felt like it could be a very light and capable bike. I cranked it up and suddenly remembered why I am not a harley guy. The vibes seemed overwhelming (to me) and I know what the guys are saying above, around 3000 rpm the bike picked up some kind of an addition rattle/resonance that I hadn't experienced on my buddies fat boy. This was a 2014. Damn... I wanted to like it, but it just wasnt me. I prefer to feel the strong and smooth pull by the torque of the engine when I lay into the throttle. Vibrations do nothing for me to enchance the experience. Must be why I love my Victory.
  16. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    But did you ride it? Seems like a lot of that vibration goes away once you're going down the road. At least that's what everyone says.
  17. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, didn't ride it. It was late and close to closing time. I stopped there only because it's on my way home. I know what you mean though, they smooth out a good bit once you get moving. The thing that's interesting is that I heard and felt that rattle everyone is talking about on the SB, which my buds Fatboy defintely doesn't have. Maybe it's all about how the bike gets assembled at the dealership?! I was stumped. How in the heck did HD not address this on the 2014? Go see for yoursefl.

Also, the question: :why are there low mile SBs available for sale" has been asked on several different boards. Seems people probably don't want to mess with trying to figure out the rattle and just trade theirs in for somthing different.

I think I'm gonna see about renting an SB for the weekend anyway.
  18. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Tons of reasons.

There's a guy on the SB forums that sold his because he couldn't find a seat he liked.

People are idiots.

Post back with your experience.
  19. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think in general, if Craigslist is a good indication, there are always a LOT of low mileage Harleys for sale. Of course for the prices people are asking, they probably stay for sale for a long time.
  20. El Pescador

El Pescador Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It's not just HDs. There are a lot of all types of low mileage bikes on CL.
    I agree with you about overpricing bikes though. I don't know if NADA is way off in my area, but most CL bikes are advertised for something north of average RETAIL.