Headed for California with a problem!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by folknride, Dec 30, 2012.

1. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I loaded up my KTM 990 to head for 2 months in Palm Desert, I spotted a nice puddle of oil on the swing arm - presumably from a leaking rear shock seal. I loaded up anyway and now will arrive with a busted bike. Any advice from KTM savvy members would be helpful. I've had some previous dealings with the local dealer, and not sure I would let them at the bike - but could be wrong.
    A rebuild is beyond my wrenching abilities and I have no place to work anyway. I could remove it if sending it off is a good idea.
    Arrgh:cry
  2. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER

Oddometer:
    PM sent!
  3. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    I would wash it clean, do a short ride to confirm that is where the oil is coming from first. I guess if it is the shock you will have no other option than remove it and send it to someone who can do a rebuild.
    Bummer !
  4. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Precision Concepts is local to the area, you might call them (if the PM you got doesnt help out) and tell them your situation, might be able to pull ,repair and put back on at their shop.

Good luck.
  5. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the local connection and other suggestions. Yes, diagnosis is my first step. It was too rushed, cold and snowy at home. It could be (hope springs eternal) slopped oil from the valve adjust and oil change I just completed. I ran the bike for 15 minutes after the job to check for leaks - none showed up.
  6. K9SAR499

K9SAR499 I can make that!

Oddometer:
    Inside line moto I trust and they know ktooms
  7. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    My guess then is its a valve cover gasket not seated correctly. Happens often on Aprilia`s too. Dont ask.
  8. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my bike with rebuilt shock today from Get Dirty Dirt Bikes (Morongo Valley), and can't say enough about Dave's help and attitude. What a great guy! Because of complications it took a while, but they went way over the top to get it done right!
    Then even helped me out with my "stupidity problem" - The right gas line was un-attached - culprit was your truly - and when I filled up (luckily right next door), gas peed all over the place. It was such fun :huh reconnecting it - thanks again Dave!

(now if it would just stop snowing so we could ride :lol3)
  9. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:

Precision Concepts worked with KTM to develop the suspension on the big KTM. Nobody knows it better.