KTM topbox & backrest pad - any good?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by bakerlonglegs, May 11, 2006.

1. bakerlonglegs

bakerlonglegs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello -
    Mrs BLL likes to have a topbox or something to lean against when riding pillion. I've got the H&B KTM panniers (the big grey plastic ones) and was thinking of getting the topbox to match.

Has anyone got the KTM topbox with the backrest pad? Is it any good for pillions? Please could someone post a picture?

Any advice/experience welcome!

Many thanks.

:D
  2. FasstCole

FasstCole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just installed the small (37L, I think) KTM top box with no pad. We did 600 miles over the weekend and the wife loved it. She didn't feel the pad was needed. Her only question was why we hadn't got one sooner! doh.
  3. mastiffdog2

mastiffdog2 A Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    I have been waiting nearly 3 mos. for my H&B KTM Topbox from my local dealer. Scuderia had them in stock when they first came out and I should have grabbed one then. KTM has moved the delivery date twice for the topcase on my dealer.

One of these days I'll have my box, mounting plate and latch hardware from my dealer and I'll post a photo of it installed unless someone else can show the set up first.
  4. Pedro Nelson

Pedro Nelson Brazilian KTM Pilot

Oddometer:
    Please check the KTM Website and look for hardequipment lugagge and will find a brand new model from KTM which match the platic lateral cases.

I have already ordered one but did not arrived yet

Good Luck

Pedro Nelson
  5. BOB RAMSAY

BOB RAMSAY Not in the Clique -

Oddometer:
    Just sifting through the ADV site and ran into this. Last post 2006. . .

Being Geezer age (58), I bought the top box like my father did 30 years ago at his Geezer age for his BMW.

I bought the OEM (optional) box - Gobi model, like the panniers.

Now, I never take it off - although it's a very functional quick-release. Real easy.

The box is heavy as is the mounting bracket (you NEED the KTM bracket). When I say heavy, it's plastic, but heavy-duty. Will probably come out on top in the event of a crash. The mount is easy, just un-bolt the existing, stock, rear plate/rack. The kit gives you longer bolts - drop them in an torque them down. Done deal.

Down sides, the lid at times needs a little extra pressure to get into place to snap down. When it's 90 degrees out, it' falls into place. Also, I have an Arai XD-3 helmet - which will fit if the lid is pressured downward and snapped. Of course, this means there's no room for anything else.

I think the box was about $300, and the mounting hardware is another $100. But I don't leave with out it - no more tank bags and gets me on the road without the full (wide) rear panniers.

Hope this helps someone.
  6. zen rider

zen rider veteran rider

Oddometer:
    My 2008 990 Adventure has the 42L KTM top box (made by H&B I believe). I like it so much I will be selling my Givi V46 monokey top case which is also a nice piece. Neither top case benefits from the pad. In fact the pad on the Givi pushes the pillion to far forward IMO. Better to make sure the pillion has a (don't laugh at this) back pad built into their riding jacket.

I believe that a pad on the 42L KTM top box would also push the passenger too far forward.

I don't plan to take mine off ever.

Pluses: 1) durable very thick plastic like 10x thicker than Givi, 2) flat top with two metal rails is ideal for locking a helmet when parked or strapping sleeping bags when camping.
  7. drued

drued Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The backrest for the Gobi top box is a little stiff. It should have been just a bit softer. Other than that, it seems to be fine. Just make sure that when you install it you make sure the template does not move. I had to enlarge one hole because it shifted about 1/8". It still sealed fine, just annoying.
  8. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    Top box is great, although over time the plastic has deformed a bit and it takes some wiggling to get the top properly aligned & closed so that the latches engage properly. I can attest to the durability.

No need for the backrest ... my wife's riding gear seems to offer enough bulk that it's not uncomfortable when leaning back against it.

FWIW, our bigger comfort issue is the stock seat, which is sloped forward and slippery enough that she's constantly needing to push against her footpegs to keep from sliding into me, which bums her out and makes her legs really tired on long rides....which in turn makes her irritable and grouchy :lol3
  9. drued

drued Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shuffler,
    My friend got herself a Butty Buddy. She uses it on long rides with me. We got back from a 1500 mile ride and she said she was ready to go on another. She now swears by it. Once you have it adjusted for the seat, it hooks on with two clips. Goes on and off in seconds. It comes in three parts the two 'wings' snap on to the middle seat portion. They are angled up in such a way that it cradles the passenger's rear end. Give it a try. Can't hurt.