Seward Campgound Recommendations

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by H-Jay, May 4, 2007.

1. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a recommendation for a campground in or around Seward?
    I'm thinking of spending several days in Seward to poke around the National Park and other siteseeing on the peninsula, etc. I'd like someplace I can leave my gear without worry, shower, wi fi. Of course would be nice if its senic. Oh yeah and NO BEARS!!!

H-Jay
  2. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    The main campground is right on the water in town. Lots of people around so if whatever your leaving is out of sight Im sure it fine. Gets very crowded though. Ride through town and down to the point (cant remember the name) there more but again busy. Just outside town (north, youll pass them as you come in) there are a couple of awesome state run campgrounds. I believe the newest/nicest is called the Trail River Campground. Top notch and have yet to see it get to busy. Incredible views of Kenai Lake from some of the sites! A bit farther south on the left is Ptarmigan Campgroud.
    I work alot out of Seward it a great spot to spend some time.
    If it were me, and you didnt mind not being in town, it would be Trail River hands down. Ill see if I can get some more specific info for ya.

Theres ALWAYS bears! Be more afraid of the mosquitoes
  3. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Everything you want right here, H-Jay. Very biker friendly. In fact, they prefer them.

[​IMG]
  4. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    AKTroy - Trail River sounds like what I'm looking for. If you have any other infor it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom S - "Garage Art" worthy. That picture gets better and better. I've printed out and put it on my garage wall -- love it! But sorry you can't discourage us "Outsiders" from coming to AK that easily.

H-Jay
  5. HomerGSowl

HomerGSowl DuH ADV Ridin

Oddometer:
    AK-Troy Thanks for the rec. will put that info in my travel book. See ya at D2D.
    H-Jay you gunna do the artic circle? I'm solo travel-n and so far my only plans are to make it there. Have to be back to Texas by July 8th something about work:lift :dg
  6. AKTroy

Oddometer:
    Well I tried to get some info on the net and theres nothing there. Needed a destination for a ride so........:ricky I'll go find out first hand. Waiting for the Strom to get back from the shop, hopfully today. I'll let ya know.
  7. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna do the artic twice. Up the Haul Rd and the Dempster. I'll also be solo and looking to hitch up with some companions on both roads.

I'll be leaving Michigan June 4 on a red 1200GS. Plan to visit Deadhorse, Inuvik, Kenai Peninsula, Kennecott Mines, Skagway, Telegraph Creek and of course Dawson City for the D2D. Will spend at least 4-6 weeks, maybe more. Mostly camping.

H-Jay
  8. HomerGSowl

HomerGSowl DuH ADV Ridin

Oddometer:
    Be looking for ya. Have the same wish list, not as much time though, be leaving the 14th with Dawson as first real stop for D2D. Be on a Black 04 R1150 GSA. Plan on camping also. I think weather will have a lot to do with my agenda. PM me if you have any burning question.:ear
  9. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Wha-? Oh come on, it's a nice place. I have stayed there several times. Sure-- :uhoh
    [​IMG]
  10. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    AKTroy, Is this the campground?

*******************​
    Trail River, AK

Find other campgroundsView Regional Map
    <TABLE class="tabs sub" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=firstslct>Campground
    Detail
    </TD><TD>Campground
    Map
    </TD><TD>Campsite
    List
    </TD><TD class=last>Date Range
    Availability
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Description:

Campground is located between the Trail River and Kenai Lake.
    Restroom facilities are provided.
    Firewood is sold at the campground.
    Gates are open until snow is too deep to drive in wooded area.
    Campground may be open before and after the reservation season depending on snow.
    <FORM id=bookcampsiteform name=bookcampsiteform onsubmit="return (submitted-- == 0);" action=/campsiteSearch.do method=post><INPUT id=agency type=hidden value=NRRS name=agency>
    <INPUT id=parkId type=hidden value=678 name=parkId>
    <INPUT id=search type=hidden value=site name=search>
    <BUTTON class="all regular" id=btnbookacampsite onclick='showProgressBar("progresspopup","Searching for campsites ...", null,"continuebutton" ); return true;' type=submit value="bookdates">[​IMG] Book Now</BUTTON>

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&agency=nrrs&parkCode=trai
    </FORM>
  11. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    .... Biker's Bears and Buzzards B&B? Got my reservations in.... just hope I don't become the last B.
  12. AKA HAL

AKA HAL workin' on the noob thing

Oddometer:
    If you're military (or can use AAFES for any reason), either the USAF or Army facilities are unbeatable. The USAF one is an actual campground, either for tent or RV.
  13. AKTroy

Oddometer:
    Thats the one. Dont know why my searce engine blew it off. Level landscaped sites with picnic table and grills on the fire rings. The sites that near Kenai Lake all have a short path down to the lake. There the ones you want! Hope I get a chance to say hello when your here.
  14. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    H-JAY,
    There are several NATIONAL FOREST (US Forest Service) campgrounds along the Seward Highway after Moose Pass. VERY popular with locals and travelers alike. Another option is a private campground at Millers Landing. Level spots, showers, beer and food and options for small boat trips out on the Bay. Do not know about wy-fi there, but know the USFS campgrounds will not have that option.
    Hope to see you at D2D.
    Paul
  15. AKTroy

Oddometer:
    Millers Landing is the spot I couldnt recall the name of. It has all the conveniences but is ALWAYS crowded.
  16. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just be sure to bring some of that bear spray they sell all of the tourists...Whenever you run into a bear, just spray yourself all over with it...Nothing the bruins in Alaska like better than a nice spicy meal:lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  17. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trail River campground is great. Get one of the campsites along the lake they are much better than the stuff near the river.

Speaking of Trail River Campground........They have a large section with a large pavilion and fire places. you can use it by reservation only. But it would be a great place for a motorcycle ride in. Any interest?
  18. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Another +1 for Trail River Campground. No running water or wi-fi but it is beautiful.

Now back to Seward. One of my favorite places is across the bay from Seward around 4th of July Creek. To get there turn left on Nash road and go around the head of the bay towards the Prison and the big industial boat yard. Across the street from the boat yard, on your right towards the water is a big clearing where camping is allowed. It's pretty sparse with just an outhouse and a dumpster but I prefer this side of the bay because the sun stays up so much longer.

If you're up for a nice walk on the beach continue on past the boat yard and you'll come to a big chain link fence. It's totally legal to drive the gravel pad all the way around the fence to the left which takes you to a little parking lot on 4th of July beach. Often it's just me and my dog Comet on the whole beach when I go kayaking there. Very nice. And like I said, the sun stays up a LOT longer on that side!

See ya, Mark H.
  19. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Looks like I'll have lots of great options (to sleep with the tommy bears).

Looking forward to meeting up with those of you that will be at the D2D or anywhere else on the road.

H-Jay
  20. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    WTF Tommy Bear did you find someone that would sleep with you.
    [​IMG]

TR:huh