Shipping my GS in a Penske

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by troyslegacy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. troyslegacy

troyslegacy PigGS Feet

Oddometer:
    I am moving a few states away in a couple of days and I am looking for a good way to ship my GS in a 26" Penske. I have checked a few websites out. I have heard everything from drilling into the truck floor to place eye bolts, removing the bolts that are already there and replacing with eyebolts, strapping it to the side, and using an original crate to mount it in.

I however had another idea. Why can't I just ride it up into the truck and knock it over on it's side, strap it down to something, and toss some heavy shit next to it? I mean, it's a GS with scuffed up crash bars, I think it would be fine. I know 98% of people wouldn't dream of doing this, but my bike is a machine that carries me from point A to B, albeit a bad ass one. My only concern would be fuel leaking, which I can mitigate by running the tank low.

Thoughts? Dumb idea, or GS shipping innovation?
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about your plan, but mine spent an hour leaning on its side in my garage on a rolled up inflatable raft and my left leg with no ill affects.
  3. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. troyslegacy

troyslegacy PigGS Feet

Oddometer:
    I've seen that tie-down procedure before, followed the directions, and trailered it cross country. However, this time I don't have a trailer with tie down points, but a Box truck with no tie downs whatsoever.
  5. LaurelPerryOnLand

Oddometer:
    I used a 10' UHaul that had 3? horizontal braces running on the outside walls.
    You can loop tie downs behind them as a anchor point.

Perhaps not the best...but you won't have to take a 2 x 4...cut it into 10" pieces and screw them to the floor as anchor points.

Or..if you're going to be frequently transporting...you might consider these:
    http://www.guardianfall.com/perform...ential-anchor-points/ridge-it-anchor-1-d-ring

or the cheaper HD version:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...&productId=203635131&R=203635131#.UOmm4m99LNk
  6. troyslegacy

troyslegacy PigGS Feet

Oddometer:
    Looks like an option. I'm picking the truck up Thursday and leaving Friday so I have a few days to figure something out.
  7. KsFolly

KsFolly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest a piece of 3/4 ply 4x8 sheet.

Install your eyebolts to that with large washers.

Put a non slip mat (maybe that black mesh tool drawer liner stuff) down in the truck. Then put the ply down. Then ride the bike in and anchor to the eyebolts.

It shouldn't be able to tip over at that point. Center stand with a tie down to the front wheel so it can't come off.

Compress suspension with ratcheting tiedowns.

Brace the ply to the corners of the truck or to any available wall clamp points.

K
  8. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I simply tied mine to the rub rails??? You have to tie front tire to rail as well or the set up will turn, allowing it all to get loose..damhik...

moved from Vegas to Vancouver to Kansas and back this way..no problems.
  9. troyslegacy

troyslegacy PigGS Feet

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea! I really didn't want to screw around with drilling into the truck or anything. The plywood will come in useful after the move Thanks!
  10. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking to look around and find some heavy oak pallets, like at a place the makes things out of rolled or square stock steel. Then knock out a center board, to make a space for a wheel and then eyebolts into the main beams of the pallet for the straps. One for each wheel. But the plywood is the same idea (big wide base to stap down to) and easier to find.
  11. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:

I would first suggest going with a truck longer than 26" :lol3

I have seen these used in trucks that brought materials to our place. See if the rental place has them. If they do, with the bike on the center stand and two of these bars [over handle bars and rear rack] should give you the tie down points you need.

http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Load-Bars-Load-Lock-Cargo-Bars-p/10085.htm
  12. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but it's hard to drive the truck that way, no? :evil

I am glad your leg did not mess up the bike.
  13. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Have the wife, a buddy, or even a college student looking for a ride home drive the truck while you ride....alternative idea :wink:
  14. Ride4Coffee

Ride4Coffee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. LaurelPerryOnLand

Oddometer:
    Hopefully, the OP will read the PDF of the BMW recommendation that states:
    "Do not place the motorcycle on the center or side stands", (Page 2)

Good to reiterate the point, though! Thanks.
    Your conscience is now clear...breathe.
  16. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    the plywood is a good idea.

I would run several 2" wood screws through it around the perimeter and into the floor to keep it from sliding around also. ( make sure you dont go into any wiring or fuel/brake lines. haha

and do NOT put the bike on its centerstand for transport!

tie it down as the PDF shows above.
  17. wrysingfeenix

wrysingfeenix Dust off those ashes

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one who picked up on that?

:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  18. backroadbill

backroadbill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put mine on it's side stand, then put twice the cam style straps to the side rails in a penske truck that seemed needed. 700mi, i checked on it a few time. I had some soft house stuff around it.......no problem.
  19. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I give up. I've seen Spinal Tap several times (I even have a dial that "goes to 11" taped above my desk) - but I missed the clue. Care to enlighten the clueless?
  20. Nuclear biker

Nuclear biker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did what your talking about with my old Harley. We used 2x8. One down the center with a wheel stop then three more to brace. One in front and behind the wheel well to keep it in place them put I bolts in the coners for tie down point. I was in a uhaul.

I hope this helps.