X-Challenge - Accessories/Farkles

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Redbull Addict, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I have the SW Motech bars. I bought them more for radiator protection than anything else. But when my bike fell over while being towed on a flatbed rollback, the only damage it sustained was a bent shift lever. So far so good . . .
  2. R80 STrider

R80 STrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been there done that.:norton

I thought at one time I saw a thread that covered it but I can't find it !

My memory is that it was suggested by BMWNA that all that would need to be changed was the stator. If my memory serves the only negative comment was regarding the weight of the new stator and the fact no one at BMW had done testing to see if there would be negative effects.

If anyone remembers this thread I'd sure appreciate being directed to it.

Thanks ... Dave
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Don't know how new your bike is, but my dealer told me that adding the F650 alternator would void the bike's warranty for any engine troubles that should appear since the alternator is an integral part of the engine. That actually made sense to me. They said they had never seen it done, nor had they heard on the dealer grapevine of it being done, but on paper it looked like it could be done. They confirmed that the voltage regulator would also need replacing.
  4. R80 STrider

R80 STrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2007 models ... still under warranty. I'm still curious about that thread, if for no other reason then memory varification. So if anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.
  5. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the BMW crash bars. They have paid for themselves many times over so far (unfortunately). I also have the Touratech Radiator Crash Bar as well. It has been worth it already.
  6. olyflyer

olyflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    But do you know if the Touratech 16 liter tank would fit with these bars on?
  7. Dukehunt

Dukehunt .

Oddometer:
    Hey Olyflyer,

Are you running the pre filter with the big tank, I am using the unifilter and cover under the big tank only, have yet to run with the prefilter.
  8. MarcusSDTaylor

MarcusSDTaylor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto on OlyFlyer

I am interested to know about the crash bar applications with the 16L (4.2gal) Touratech Tank specifically. Do the crash bars prevent damage to the tank when dropped?
  9. olyflyer

olyflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not running a pre-fuel filter in Oz but am looking to put one on when I head on my trip to the Americas

are you talking about the air box? not going to touch that as the 1-2hp not really worth risking it for me as I'm in the desert and there is way to much dust to make me want to open it up more

my guess it would take the brunt of the drop and lessen the damage thats if they fit over the 16L (4.2gal) TT tank even though i've dropped the bike a few times already and no dramas yet
  10. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMW bars are down on the bottom of the bike (lower front engine support to the footpegs). The Touratech one looks like the support for the front of the TT tank. I don't think anyone makes one that would protect the outside of the TT tank.
  11. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    The advantage of running the Pre-Filter is that you should be able to do two, three or even four Pre-Filter changes before you even need to touch the main filter. I have been running a Pre-Filter with an open airbox under the TT tank in pretty dusty conditions without ay problems. I have the TT tank connected with quick release connectors and you can just whip it off, change the Pre-Filter and away you go.
  12. olyflyer

olyflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers mate, I thought I saw a bike with protection bars on the outside, must of been custom job
  13. dmcd

dmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you buy the red/blue motorsport decals for the Xchallenge, I think I saw a picture of one on here once but can't find it now?

Cheers
  14. dmcd

dmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops just found what I was looking for page 42 of this thread, sorry:shog
  15. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    i tried modding my headlight. but messed it up. waiting on new one. can anybody tell me how deep the headlight is.( take h4 bulb out measure back of reflector to back of lens.) thankx.
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Put a pair of the Rokstompa pegs on and after a 430klm ride on the weekend these pegs felt pretty good. Much more comfortable than the standard pegs and a lot easier to locate when moving around etc.

[​IMG]
  17. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the filter, gonna add the pre-filter. I'll be riding mostly longer distance stuff (looking at + fuel options) and wondering what you, others have noticed for increase in fuel consumption after Uni install.

Thanks!
  18. MTBiker78

MTBiker78 ENDURO Wanabee

Oddometer:
    2 G650 Xch (1st stock config 2nd modified with unifilter and leovince x3 exhaust).
    On several trips the difference beetween reserve light lit was ~5-15km ealier on modified. I dont know how much of that is influenced by filter and muffler and how much is by "riding style" :evil
  19. SwedeJott

SwedeJott n00b

Oddometer:
    I`m new at this site so I say hello to all.

Im converting my challenge to motard with Aprillia RXV 550 wheel but it is lot of work left but they fits.

But I`ve also checked and measured XR650R motard whells and they fits even better but you have to do following:
    Front
    -Distance for front disk 9mm thick
    -New axle
    -2 new distances
    Back
    -Distance for disk 25 mm thick
    -2 new distances
    -Distance for spocket 8 mm thick

I`ve some cad files if some body needs it.

Pictures with Dallara wheels
    http://ongrus.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=200#p1632

20. The Jester

The Jester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not mine but thought this may interest someone. (I know links to this site should not be posted here so feel free to take it down if it is a problem)

Alternatively a set of used x country wheels bolts right on and works well.