How Much Better is the New GS?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Cricket100, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Cricket100

Cricket100 n00b

Oddometer:
    I am graduating from a 650GS (lost in a flood - a long story) and going to buy a 1200GS. I can get a low mileage (10,000km) 2010 or 2011 for about 75% of the cost of the new water cooled model - a fairly serious saving. I am the kind of person that keeps his vehicles 7-8 years. Probably will ride only 5-6000 km on a good year (short summers in Canada). Some back roads and logging roads but 90% or better on the street or highway.

So is the new GS that much better and any advice to someone in my position on which one to go with? Thanks.
  2. Girthy Knobkers

Girthy Knobkers Running on reserve

Oddometer:
    Depends which kind of oil you are using...

This will be answered from many angles by many different inmates.

The new (water cooled i presume) GS is a completely different bike from the oil/hex head era. Throttle response and street feel is very... well, street. If I were you I would buy a 2008-2012 R1200GS if you are looking to upgrade. Ride it and wait for the second wave of water cooled bikes to hit the scene.

The first version of the R1200GS wasn't perfected (nor were the later versions) but it got better and better through an aesthetics and valve train change. This water cooled thing was rushed on many fronts. Crates were shipped here with documentation that the product wasn't sound. Largely (completely) a result of BMW NA pressure on Germany to get the model here to be sold.

I hope that helps :1drink
  3. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    I have a 2005. Most trouble-free bike I've ever owned. Just sayin'.

I would get a WC without hesitation, not because I'm clairvoyant and know it will be perfect, but because I'm willing to take the risk to own what is likely the finest motorcycle ever made.
  4. Girthy Knobkers

Oddometer:
    I respect your opinion Ikon, you got a stud of the batch. But the risk you take is not something most can. Time and money wasted while making monthly lease and insurance payments ain't good.

Have you rode one? Experienced coolant/oil leaking from the weephole? Odd clunky shifting? Noises in the final drive? Awkward wobbling in the front end? Sure it may be a lemon.. However why are these prevalent problems not worked out and delivery pushed back a month or two?

I'm happy you have such confidence in the brand, I have owned only BMW's for most of my riding years. But you should realize the push of BMW NA as soon as us Americans want a product we read about.
  5. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Well, I think it's a lot better.

No BMW boxer motor has as much snarl and bark as that watercooled model. It wanted to wheeling like I couldn't believe, it was lighter, it was much thinner at the saddle than I'm used to, which was very nice, and had great ergos otherwise.

The multiplate wet clutch is a selling point as well.

But you can and should hop down the local BMW dealer and ride a 13 GSA and a 13 LC GS if they have one of each. It isn't hard to spot the differences.

(for the record I wouldn't buy the first year of a new motor either)
  6. Girthy Knobkers

Oddometer:
    Agreed Bobby.

Wet clutch doesn't overheat and act differently off road. The engine is snappy and barks like a guard dog. Love that. I am probably just harping on the "1st tee jitters" that I feel are unacceptable, yet occur with virtually every new model.

When will I learn... :ear
  7. rusty1945

rusty1945 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the source of this info? I haven't heard this before.
  8. Girthy Knobkers

Oddometer:
    You gotsta know people. Sources are very limited for good reason. I'm not speaking solely on this model but any time something is released to consumers. Sorry, it happens with our beloved BMW motorcycles too...
  9. nzpete

nzpete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 1200GS and do about 10,000km/year. Would love to do more but just don't get the time. Have test ridden the new one and it is a noticeable difference to my one and feels if a bit more fun could be had on it. My point is that if your kms are limited, you want the best bike possible as you want to get the most enjoyment out of every single km you do. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy my bike heaps but when the time is right I will be getting a GSW.
  10. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    crates of documentation that the product wasn't sound :huh I smell BS. So it's the Americans fault for rushing the Germans? haha, right. Didn't you read they did a million miles of testing!
  11. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    I traded in my 05 (built 5/04) with near 110k miles for a new GSW, never a regret about either machine.
    I guess I don't know those special people who don't know shit but like to act like they do.
  12. SDDinNH

SDDinNH Ridgerunner

Oddometer:
    Your chances of finding a left over 2013 are probably zero so if you ordered today, you'd get a second year 2014. They made very few changes and the fact that the 2013 sold out should tell you something about the new LC boxers.

Now, having said that, can anyone guarantee you a bike with no problems? I doubt it. But, having had both I can tell you that the LC is light years ahead of the older versions. Enough so that after riding a demo, I went ahead and put my "money where my mouth is" and bought a 2013.

Ultimately the choice is your's, but I thought the difference was enough for me to write a check for.
  13. gSreen

gSreen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    .. the finest motorcycles ever made are probably still the 2012 R1200GS series. The WC will take this thrown as soon as it survived its childhood diseases. The clutch and gearbox are issues.
  14. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    The engine response of the LC boxer is much sharper compared to the Hex/Camhead motors. While that makes for a impressive test ride, ooh it wheelies, and fuels exciting magazine reviews, It has diminished the bikes ability offroad. The previous bikes ability to hook up on slippery terrain , or crawl along at low RPMs is gone. For riders who actually use the GS offroad, that's a shame. Here's to hoping BMW delivers the new Adventure model with engine characteristics suitable for a riding a large bike offroad.
  15. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

But in actual reality, I've ridden both my 05 and GSW offroad and while there is a difference its nothing that can't be overcome with a little more clutch work in the slower technical spots and you won't smoke the clutch on the GSW, otherwise the GSW is a better mount for most dirt/fire roads and 90% of the other offroad riding I do, for anything above about 8-10mph the GSW is more pleasurable.

In a nutshell; any skillful rider will have no problem doing on the GSW what he was able to on the previous version and in most situations do it better.

A lower first gear would be a plus and I expect to see either that or a lower overall final drive ratio on the upcoming ADV model.
  16. fivetimeson129

fivetimeson129 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    with all due respect BMW does not make a water cooled GS.
  17. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    This dead horse has been kicked so many times on this forum already.
  18. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am riding about 400klm a week more on my 13 GSW than I did on my previous bikes. Anytime there is a club sportsbike run I am in. I can keep up with and outperform a lot of them on this beast. I mainly ride road and often inner city congested traffic and do spirited weekend rides with minimum offroad. Saying that I did 60-80 klm of gravel and mountain last week and it was relatively easy to handle and comfortable for an offroader with minimal experience.

I agree that the gearbox is clunky when warm but that is no big deal once you expect it.

This bike is an absolute sizzler and still manages to perform all expected GS duties such as off road travel and pack mule loading.

If they release a much improved model in 2015 or when ever and I give a shit then i will trade it in but at this stage I see no reason to change it.

This bike is a watershed in motorbike history.
  19. Cricket100

Cricket100 n00b

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the replies, and maybe a little more background is required to address the obvious question - why don't I just go down and try both at the BMW dealer? I am planning to do that next week, but to be honest, because I am a real newbie on big bikes, I doubt I will be able to tell the difference on a test drive. Back in the 80s I put 50,000 miles on a Kawasaki 400, but only got back into biking a couple of years ago on my 650GS. From the real veterans here it sounds like, except for initial quality concerns, cost and (arguably) some types of off-road riding, most think the new model is a pretty big leap forward. But the 2008-2012 is a great bike and would do me more than adequately for a few years as well as leave a fair chunk of change in my pocket for other bad habits.
  20. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    You'll be able to tell the difference, not just in the performance but in the overall design and features, I'm also more comfortable on the new bike, better seat, not as fat and more legroom.
    For me the GSW was well worth the extra expense, for others its not.