Possible to make a Ducati Sportclassic comfortable?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by optimum_malarky, Jan 2, 2011.

1. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    Been loving the looks of the Ducati Sportclassic 1000 recently, but only read about how uncomfortable the bike is. Anyone owned and modified one to make it less of a torture rack? I know about the GT 1000, but there's something about the SC1000 that speaks to me a little more. Then again, I don't know if Ducati is even making these bikes anymore...
  2. mammal

mammal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ducati discontinued the SportClassic last year, and the GT this year, but it's not too hard to find decent, low-mileage SCs still. I've read of a few people using risers or conventional handlebars to improve the ergonomics successfully. I'd check out the SportClassic section of ducati.ms...lots of good info there on just this sort of thing.
  3. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey there...they're only making the GT1000 these days, but yes, you can make the SC a bit more comfortable than the oem setup. they definitely make/made a higher clip-on for that bike, and I'm sure there are aftermarket offerings as well. The end result is probably a 3/4" rise that vastly improves the comfort factor of the SC.

Good luck with the hunt.
  4. Audacious Nick

Audacious Nick Forever indecisive

Oddometer:
    Replace the seat with a rock would be an improvement.
  5. pm9654

pm9654 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't even see them on the Ducati website anymore. Too bad, they were a nice looking retro...
  6. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    I like the sport classic and Gt as well and seeing as Triumph, Harley, Guzzi etc all live off the classic look you'd think there would be a place for at least one classic model in the Ducati line up.

Shame! Hope they bring something out again.
  7. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not just buy a 90's carbed 900 Supersport? You can get a perfect, low mile bike for under $5k, and they're very comfortable. It's also one of the best looking bikes ever made. I've ridden the the Sportclassic and wouldn't even-trade either of my carbies for one. The 900SS is a modern classic. You can also make them quite quick with big pistons and flat slide carbs.
  8. High_Side

High_Side Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same question a few years ago, and ended up buying the GT. It was a much better bike to look at than ride. Some people love them, but I strongly suggest that you try to ride one before you buy. I wish that I would have had the chance, because there is no way in hell that I would have bought it if I had. Monsters are far better bikes for less money.
  9. tailspin74

tailspin74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried and tried. The problem with a risers is the fairing. You can raise the stock bars about 3/4 of an inch. More then that and the bars start to interfere with the fairing.

The SC1000s was the best looking/sounding bike I have owned. Also the most painful. Look around. There are plenty of cheap low mileage ones around. There is a reason.

Best to find one and sit on it or better yet, take it around the block.
  10. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    +1, but only if your actual riding habits warrant more (than a GT).
  11. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    +1/-1

if you can find a low mileage 900ss for low $ it tends to make some sense. if you can only find higher mileage ones, then be prepared to spend some serious money on them if the previous owner didn't. regardless, parts and the like will not be easy to come by, at least not as easy as the more modern day GT1000.
  12. Toompine

Toompine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No they cannot be made comfortable, they are Italian and made to be looked at and ridden fast for short distances. It is genetic.

Gold Wings are comfy and can be ridden fast but they are like taking your whole living room with you
  13. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely buy the best one you can find, even if you pay a lot. It's always cheaper in the end.
  14. mikenpalsie

mikenpalsie mikenpalsie

Oddometer:
    yep, just eat some valiums or alot of asprins , youll be fine. or maybe take up yoga and get real flexable:clap
  15. Sugar Pig

Sugar Pig almost certain...

Oddometer:
    My Multistrada 1000 really is all day comfy with a Sargent seat.

Its not nearly the looker the SC and GT are though.
  16. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    I think it's kinda funny...hipsters are going nuts for cafe racers. Old, underpowered bikes with crappy suspension. They spend into 5 figures restoring and tricking them out. Simply to sit out in front of Starbucks in West LA...

Ducati makes a modern cafe racer that is a state-of-the-art machine...and can't sell enough to keep the line in production.

Strange world...
  17. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    I go around and around with this one. I love the look of the Triumph line -- Bonnies, Scramblers, Thruxs -- but I just want more motor, more performance. I tried the Thunderbird Sport, but didn't connect with it, especially with the S3 in my garage. Maybe the sport classics aren't the way to go...
  18. mammal

mammal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest the GT if you like the looks of the SportClassic but hate the position. I've done a couple multi-day rides on my GT (to Lake Placid,NY and Deal's Gap, from Ohio) with an aftermarket windshield, and the position was just fine. It's no Goldwing, but anybody who buys one of these knows that.
  19. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    :deal
  20. mammal

mammal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know, but figured it was worth pointing out. From photos, I think, the GT doesn't have quite the sexhay that the SC does, but I do still get a lot of admiring questions for my GT from everyone from mohawk-helmeted CBR riders to greybeards on vintage Harleys. To me, it's got enough of the cafe-styling of the SC with much better ergonomics.