Jackson MS riders?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by eeore39648, May 30, 2009.

1. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Looks like it has some aftermarket accessories.
  2. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe but the gaurd dog should keep prowlers away -------------from both :lol3
  3. MSrider

MSrider Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer:
    Heh, make sure to go at lunch time so you can have ChyKnee for lunch. that'll take the "guard dog" outta the picture :D
  4. Paddle007

Paddle007 Gun Toting Vegetarian. Supporter

Oddometer:
    When taking a long route back from Woodville I stumbled upon Mt. Olive Rd off of 33 south of Centreville. Looked like single track trails heading into the woods. It was late and I was flying solo so I pussed out and turned around at the end of the road. Anyone ride/know that area?
    PS Looking forward to the DFR and EBW getting back on his feet.
  5. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kyle, the guy who is selling this bike had a large landscaping business. He handles the Quarter grounds on Lakeland. He bought two identical bikes at the same time (one for him and one for his brother) and only needs one for himself. I haven't seen it but from what I hear, it's in great shape, just doesn't get ridden.
  6. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:

My next door neighbor told me last night that he knows a guy with a KLR just like mine for sale. I replied is it RED? He said yes... Sure enough, it's the same bike! :lol3
  7. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kyle seems like a great guy. I'd like to get him to ride one day in a group ride. I'd bet he's close to you Brandon guys.
  8. DavidQ

DavidQ We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding Saturday?
  9. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    ok peoples I'm finely going to get a new tire for the FZ-1. no where in town does motorcycle tires. I've changed plenty of dirt bike tires but never on or a street bike. i don't like paying a shop to do what I can my self. so question one. How many of y'all mount your own street bike tires. Second I can build a balancing rack and I've heard that if you balance the rim you really don't have to worry about the tire.

Yes Tslaw speak up you know whether the wheels are balanced or if they where balanced after the tires where mounted. And I'm going back with the same type tires that are on it now.

i'm going to fix this problem because I'm going to make adapters for the tire changer at one of the local car tire shops. and i may buy them the adapter for there balancing machines.

anyway I'm asking is this something that i can do by hand or am i going to have to bind over and let a shop screw me because I'm not buying a tire form them.
  10. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You balance the wheel and tire together. Tire on rim then balance. Static balance, gravity will bring the heavy spot to the bottom. You add weight at the 12 ockock position once that happens. It's trial and error so some old weights held on with duck tape will get you headed in the right amount needed then peel and stick on new weights of the same amount you roughed in with old weights and tap. Typically 3-6 1/4 ounce pieces does teh trick ant more than 6 and you need to break the tire down on the rim and rotate it 180 degrees. As far as mounting you moutn them the same as dirt tires but be more carefull not to scratch the wheels.
  11. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Just use rim protectors! Either the fancy store bought ones or you can channel you inner KLR and use some fuel hose like I do. Don't want to go scratching up pretty street bike rims. It's doable with tire irons, but not nearly as easy as dirt bike tires.

Every time I do it I say to myself "Why in the world didn't you just pay the guy at the shop $25 to do this :baldy"
  12. tslaw

tslaw aged n00b

Oddometer:
    What Roy said.

...and Switch's rims are already scratched since the PO didn't have rim protectors the first time he changed the tires without making use of his brother's NoMar set up (it's the bomb btw).

The only difference from what you've done before on dirt bikes is that the bead is a little tougher to break, and it's handy to have a strong air supply to seat the bead when you air it up. I was surprised that I could do it with a 12v compressor and a rachet strap - thought I would have to drive to a service station.
  13. Paddle007

Paddle007 Gun Toting Vegetarian. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ever notice how slippery an antifreeze bottle is. I've cut the sides off of them and used them as rim protectors.
  14. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Good idea! I'll have to remember that.
  15. Switchblade315

Oddometer:
    I can get the local tire shop to break the bead for me. And if I can get the adaptors made for the mounter I can get them to do it all for $25. They will break it for me for free. We tryed there mounter when the valve steam broke off and it won't expand out wide enough. The adaptors are $200 I thought about just ordering them. And I may yet. I don't remember how much the balanceing adaptor was. Sounds like I can do it myself. And ied have to drive to starksville or jackson to get a shop to do it so I'm looking at a tank of gas on top of what they would charge.
  16. tslaw

tslaw aged n00b

Oddometer:
    It will be easier than you think. If I can do it you certainly can. Just remember: lube is your friend.:lol3
  17. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tip number 1:

As you work the bead in around the wheel make sure to keep the bead you have already inserted into the wheel stays pushed down into the center groove of the wheel. That makes it easier to finish inserting the last 1/3 of the bead over the wheel lip. Extra pair of hands is good for that but school the helper before starting the procedure.

Tip number 2:

Be carefull not to put any pressure down on the front brake rotors. You'd be suprised how easy they are to warp/bend with the least bit of sideways pressure. Best way is to use and old tire to keep the rotors off a flat surface while working on the wheel. I've seen guys laying front wheels on the ground flat with them on top of it, bad practice and rotors are not cheap to replace. Same goes for the rear but it is a little harde to get at to bend verses the front.
  18. Switchblade315

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have actual tire lube. A whole tub of it. And I know the trick of keeping the tire in the groove and I never put the roter side down. Learned that years ago dirtbikes. And the only two people that I will let help me with this have been there for many tire changings. But thanks for the advice.

I'm really looking at makeing the adaptors for the local tire shop. Maybe not this time but before the next time.
  19. tslaw

tslaw aged n00b

Oddometer:
    Use Roy's advice when you do the front or you'll have a hard time laying it down.:lol3 (I know you are only doing the back, but the old tire underneath works well to keep everything off the ground) I use an old FZ1 tire that's probably better than the one you're taking off.:lol3
  20. Switchblade315

Oddometer:
    I forgot its got roters on both sides. Duh moment. Forgive me. Ill hold on to this rear for that use. Lol I'm going to replace the front soon as well just can't aford to do them both right now. Lol. Like I said I hope to have it where the tire shop can do it real soon.