TE610 IMS 5-gallon tank - Fitment Issues

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Cainer, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Cainer

Cainer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else have problems with fitment on their 5-gallon tank on the TE610? As far as I can tell, there's no easy way to get it over the front post if the rear posts are securely seated. The threaded center post on the front appears to be about a half-inch or more too far forward for the tank to settle onto it properly. If I pull on the tank to get it to go forward, it slips off the rear posts. If I fasten the front post first, the rear ones won't snap in...the angle appears to be wrong.

Any ideas here? Is this a common issue with a known solution?

Thanks!
  2. Xcuvator

Xcuvator Justa Venturer

Oddometer:
    The tanks are known to change shape and size depending on temp and storing conditions. Is it a new tank?
    I slide mine over the front post then snap the back down.
    Have you tried warming it up? I think if you can get it on it should conform to the mounts,
  3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Cant comment on the IMS tank. I however had to put a Clark tank (for a Honda) over a vice, then crank open the vice. I put a little baseboard heater beside it and left it for a week. It went on easily after that.

Good luck.
    Worst case, you'll have to deal with returning it.
  4. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    I bought the IMS 4.0 tank for my 2014 EXC 500. Same problem. Did you read the disclosure around the cap? Send the tank back. IMS is having serious problems with manufacturing. Their mold process does not hold the tolerances and your tank is most likely 4-8% too small or too big in certain areas due to shrinkage, per their admonition. I returned mine and bought the acerbis. Too bad, cause IMS used to make a great product. Only tank mfg left that install brass inserts.