Why do NA GS have long turn signal stalks?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by teutonGS, Nov 21, 2010.

1. teutonGS

teutonGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It seems that none of the GS or GSA models anywhere but the North American market have those long front turn signal stalks. Anyone know why we got those ugly stalks?

I can't figure out from the part fiche which part no. is for short and which is long. Anyone?
  2. yxome

yxome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My guess is the US Department of Transportation, DOT, requires a minimum separation between the signal lights and that necessitates the longer mounting hardware.
  3. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    IT is to do with the required spacing between the lights to satisfy our laws. A friend had an 07 GSA and BMW recalled his bike and mounted new stalks as you call them to obtain the required space making them legal for Canada.
  4. paulhdick

paulhdick Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The part is called Signal Holder, Short and the BMW part number is 6313 7676 316.

I put them on mine about a year ago and am very happy with them. Cleans up the look of the front end IMHO. They are used on F800GS and several others. About a fifteen minute job to swap them. The right and left are identical. And they are illegal here in the US. "I don't Know how they got so short, officer ... honestly.":rofl

[​IMG]
  5. Disco Dean

Disco Dean Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illegal in Canada too... I had a recall notice to come in and change mine but I didn't because they look better short.

It does have to do with highway regulations and distance for visibility.
  6. Motorman

Motorman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very clean install.
    What type of brackets are you using to mount your driving lights?
    Thanks a ton,
    Motorman
  7. paulhdick

Oddometer:
    The brackets are the OEM BMW one's that are part of the auxilary light kit for the R1200GS (not GSA). I believe it only works for the 2008+ model years.
  8. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    I installed the short L.E.D. flashers for the Beamer from Europe. Look a hell of alot better and much brighter.
  9. FrankS

FrankS ...please wait...

Oddometer:
    Same here…and my GS still passes the annual 20seconds state inspection here in TX

Regards

Frank
  10. motorcyclemark

motorcyclemark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock shorter rear stalks from the r1200gs will work upfront. The only mod is to open up the mounting hole a little. Did this to my 09 as well as 07.
  11. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:

Just ordered a set/thanks for the pics and part #'s.:D
  12. paulhdick

Oddometer:
    I think you will like them, a very cheap improvement IMHO ... here is a better view ...

[​IMG]
  13. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Price was right, $16 each at chicago bmw.:clap
  14. teutonGS

teutonGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!

BTW, I see you have both the GSA beak and the OEM fog light brackets. Did you have to modify either to get them to work together? BMW says they don't fit together.
  15. paulhdick

Oddometer:
    The beak has indentations in it for the Torx screws and the front part of the Aux light bracket fits into it perfectly. The screws that came with the kit were already plenty long. The lights are spread out slightly, maybe a degree or two, but I like it like that. I suppose that is why BMW says not to use them togeter. The beams are very flat and wide anyway. I have them more for daytime visibilty than anything else. At night they are much better than the low beams and I like the extra right/left side lighting.
  16. teutonGS

teutonGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll be ordering both beak and turn signal holders.
  17. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have the part number for the ~2006 R1200GS short turn signal stalks? I'd like the stalks a bit longer than the ones used on the F800GS (#6313 7676 316 is a bit too short for R1200GS).
    The ones on the picture would be the perfect size.

[​IMG]
  18. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    06-07 R12GS/A Parts fiche => Diagram 63_1129 - White Direction Indicator Lights => Item #6 => P# 63137687008

However, you may not be able to purchase them in Canada from authorized stealers as they've been subject to a recall (safety issue, turn signal too close to headlamp) ie. had to be repossessed and replaced with loooooong ones... :deal

But, you can get rear holders, p# 63237707346 (same diagram, item # 7), just a tad shorter, enlarge the mounting hole in order to fit them and off you go :D!!

Good luck!! :thumb
  19. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    This is the number I picked up in Germany for my 2010 R1200GS, now mounted, both sides use the same number, it's from the 2006 model and it looks like the part # is not sold in North America anymore.
    I like the looks, not too close and not too wide.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Django

Django Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for posting the part number! :thumb Anchor hole matched up perfect on my 09 12GS. Easy-peasy, took 15 minutes. I like the look of the front headlight cluster a lot better now.

$16 per short stalk at Touring Sport BMW Greenville SC.