Graphic Artist talent for designing some KTM decal?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by pfb, Oct 12, 2008.

1. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a full set of 950 Super Enduro decals. I plan on having vendor (likely garabato25) make some custom tank and side panel decals, available to whomever wants them.

I'm looking for something much cleaner than the stock SE graphics,maybe orange on black (then on the orange fairing panels) fairly large KTM with a slightly smaller "Super Enduro", with the side panels having "950", but again much cleaner than the stock...

Anybody got some skills and interested in working up a couple of designs?
  2. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
    I would be interested in buying some if this project gets off the ground..

Joe

3. Soberman001

Soberman001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know any KTM specific dudes.. but the guy who did many of the decals for my Aprilia has a username of CRUZEL and he is often found on ApriliaForum.com

Nice work and a nice guy.

If you can't find him, PM me and I will help.
  4. apeirce

apeirce Two ears, one mouth.

Oddometer:
    You're riding a orange framed 950 dirtbike that should be covered in dirt or mud and you're worried about the decals? :D

Seriously, the pain about making graphics for bikes is getting accurate die-lines for cutting them out. After that all someone has to do is "color within the lines." To do it right takes a fair amount of effort though. Are you looking for amateur hour or a professional job?

Finally are you looking to commission someone or a freebie?
  5. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Amateur hour, freebie...

Of course the idea is that this will be available at cost, hopefully a pretty low cost, to anyone. Not looking for profit, not looking for investment. Just cool graphics!
  6. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    A design that like would have to be vector-based in order to be properly processed into a vinyl decal...

This requires a significant skill-set and time investment.

Just FYI... what you're asking for is much different than opening Photoshop and slapping together a logo created with other images found on the web.
  7. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea
  8. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious as to what u don't like about the stock stickies....
    I think they look prety good:D
    [​IMG]
  9. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    No, not really.

A couple of hours at most in Illustrator with a raster based ktm logo to trace into a vector graphic and a modest amount of graphic arts natural talent, (of which I have none). Pick some nice fonts/lettering./layout for the '950' and 'Super Enduro' text and some bold new graphic shapes.
  10. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:

It can't possibly be that easy.

Remember, Honda has spent virtually all of its R&D budget in recent years on designing and producing new decals! :lol3
  11. rider707

rider707 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I had the same idea. I just want my bike to stand out from the crowd.
    Here's my design. If you can have it made, I'll take a set.:thumb

[​IMG]
  12. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:

Oh ok. Well I eagerly await your "no skill / little time investment" production. I'm sure it will look very professional!
  13. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    What can ya lose? Go for it. I'd draw inspiration from the 08 SXF and the blacked out 09 EXCs look really sharp. My SMR with black shrouds & orange details is a real looker where the SE has a kind of goofy look with the orange shrouds. I'm thinking that a blacked out decal would be sharp.
  14. Mosseltje

Mosseltje Alive

Oddometer:
    Hehe, I had almost the same idea.

[​IMG]
  15. Worone

Worone Rock Slinger

Oddometer:
    I would like a set like the 2007 950 SMR to go on black panels. Instead of saying supermoto, change it to superenduro, I like the orange KTM R on it. Simple....

[​IMG]
  16. KTMSMITH

KTMSMITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love to see something along the lines of the new 09 690R graphics on a white background.
  17. DeBandi

DeBandi Exploring Alabama

Oddometer:
  18. KonradKTM

KonradKTM Yes! Let's go!

Oddometer:
  19. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Rider 707 and Warone......either of these would be cool. I prefer the SMR-like graphics since it will go well with a new aqualine tank I'm buying. I'm in for a set if the idea gets some traction.
  20. River6822

River6822 Fat kid on a 950 SE

Oddometer:
    I've looked into this on several levels and the issue is really for the vinyl manufacturer. Dirtbike graphics in general are NOT your run of the mill vinyl sign maker type vinyl. I've tried this kind and it just doesn't hold up. (on my son's DRZ125) I know a few vinyl guys and no one I know can get the same stuff that you can get from a place like Ride PG. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just not simple. To compound the issue, the newer style graphics are a sort of printed vinyl. If you could get all that in line then you have the art work to do.

As some one posted above a big part of the job is making the cut lines. Although they do not get die cut, they are still done from a vector base, not a photochop deal. From there it's a matter of coloring within the lines. The easiest way to get this done is to order a set of stock graphics, and draw them up. (Probably some copy right infringement there.) You could also scan them in if you have access to a large scanner. Then they need to be vectorized and worked over.

It's not impossible and I'd be willing to help out with the artwork, but it's not an easy task.