If you're in the area, don't stop here...

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Mr_McBride, May 9, 2013.

1. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride 'The Cartographer'

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a four day trip ( ride report forthcoming ), but I wanted to highlight one experience from my trip.

A fellow Canadian reached out to me for assistance with route selection in our area and this request turned into me spending four days with him.

I live in Acworth, Ga and our second day of riding had us traveling north from Acworth up to Tellico Plains, Tn, to the Cherohala Skyway. Any, shortly after crossing over the Tn border we made a gas stop at the Exxon 68 just before the junction with 64 near Ducktown. We pulled in and topped off our tanks. Being courteous, we pushed our bikes into a parking place to make room for other paying customers. I walked inside and asked the proprietor if I could use the restroom. The gentleman stated that the restroom was located outside the bldg on the left and handed me a key. Upon returning I waited for him to finish up with another customer, then handed the key back and said 'thank you.'

Outside, I used my cell phone to send a txt message with a location update for my wife. Suddenly, the door flung open rapidly and the proprietor said "Gentleman, get your gear back on and get your a$$ down the street. This is not a GD rest stop. Unless you're gonna buy something get the hell outta here."

I politely informed him that we had just bought gas. He apologized and stated that from where he sits he can't always see the gas pumps, but he still had a lot of attitude in his voice. I was a bit shell shocked.

Anyway, do me a favor and help spread the word for everyone to buy their gas somewhere else.
  2. DEPARKER1817

DEPARKER1817 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noted.
    You guys probably looked intimidating and cheep.:wink:
  3. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blame it on the Canook. :lol3

4. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride 'The Cartographer'

Oddometer:
    Not very intimidating on two VStroms loaded downed. I was wearing a high-viz Olympia AST jacket and my northern friend was in a yellow Stitch Roadcrafter.

So just two adventure tourers. Not very pirate looking...
  5. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    ya...I will bet he has hundreds of patrons per day wearing the same garb

:rolleyes
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fixed! :evil

I'm surprised he let you use the restroom if he thought you hadn't bought anything. What an ignorant move to pull.
  7. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Lid up or down? That sets my wife off too.
  8. Mtn Man

Mtn Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Must have been the hi-viz ...
  9. DEPARKER1817

DEPARKER1817 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last summer while crossing North Dakota on I-94 I got so sleepy I decided to stop and take a nap. Pulled into a service station and laid down in a shady spot in some grass. Probably only shade in ND. Just got comfortable and the station attendant came running out waving his arms. This is not a GD rest stop.................it is a dog run. Every dog between Bismark and Fargo has crapped there. Come on inside and crash on a bench, we got air conditioning..unless you got dog poo on you.