What is the Best Phone for GPS

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by HappyForNow, Jun 17, 2013.

?

What phone has the best GPS?

1. iphone

2. android

3. windows

4. Quit being so cheap and buy a gps

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. HappyForNow

HappyForNow Banned

Oddometer:
  2. revrandy

revrandy The Riding Rev.

Oddometer:
    Nokia. A GPS is built into the Symbian Operating System, as well as full maps. All of this without needing a data connection.
  3. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    Supposedly smart phones are really cutting into GPS sales. But what do people do when they have no signal? I know this scares some people to the point, they think it can't happen.
  4. revrandy

revrandy The Riding Rev.

Oddometer:
    My Nokia E7 doesn't require data, it is like a true GPS - satellite only. They have switched to windows operating system for their new Lumia line of phones, but other Nokia's still use Symbian. Check the model and see what the operating system is, and you can find out if it has built in maps/GPS or not.
  5. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    I use GPS Apps that cache maps for offline use (GPS chip still works).

iPhone for the win just because I can get a LifeProof case (waterproof/doesn't suck/not bulky)...plus the phone just works the way it's supposed to.
  6. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I use both an Iphone and a Garmin 78. The difficulty with the Iphone is that it chews up battery power with no mercy. Unless it's plugged in, don't expect much in the way of usable battery life. The Garmin, on the other hand, will do a long day on a single pair of rechargeable AA batteries.

The GPS screen tends to be more visible in bright light.
  7. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    I'm using a cheap Android chinaphone, have loaded OsmAnd on it. App is free, unless you want to upgrade to the paid version. Maps are opensource and thus free as well, and can be downloaded via wifi.

However, no smartphone is as robust, weatherproof and as convenient to use as a good GPS.

Sent from my Android chinaphone, please excuse the spelling
  8. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Android based devices. With Google maps, you can choose areas to cache ahead of time so you can access the maps without network/internet connections.

Standalone GPS units are handy too, and somewhat reasonably priced these days. I like having a backup to the phone, whether that's another GPS unit or whether that's reasonably detailed paper maps.
  9. bobnoxious67

Oddometer:
    I respectfully disagree...my waterproof Garmin 76csx hasn't gotten used in years since I put my iphone 4 into a Lifeproof case (waterproof). Way faster and easier to move around the maps, way easier to download and store maps, way more free map choices (satelite to robust topo)...I find using my phone far more robust and convenient while being just as weatherproof.
  10. revrandy

revrandy The Riding Rev.

Oddometer:
    Likewise, I disagree. My Nokia E7 sits in a waterproof Otterbox and has been mounted to my bike, without any problems whatsoever. Battery lasts a long time and if necessary, I can plug it into my 12v socket.
  11. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed with the new TomTom-based Map app Apple is using now, integration is very good with voice prompts and it's reasonably battery conserving with the ability sleep/wake for prompts w/screen lock on. For auto use, it often replaces my Garmin 60csx, but for moto use, I prefer the Garmin, for screen visibility in direct sun, battery life, and the whole touch screen with gloves on and in very dusty environments thing.
  12. BryonLewis

BryonLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Galaxy S3 with Otterbox case and slipgrip mount. Google cached maps for all of Adirondacks and Catskils, most of Vermont and White Mtns in New Hampshire. Also used the S3 in the Smoky Mtns with Cached maps.
  13. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    GPS is for Poseurs. :1drink

:hide
  14. gzr

gzr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a navigation app on an Android phone (Galaxy S2), and previously I had a navigation app on a Windows Mobile phone. Never used the data connection - today's smartphones ALL have a GPS chip, and in a pinch some of them estimate the location according to the nearest cell towers (but use pre-downloaded maps)

The app I use (but I stay on the road :hide ) is "Map Factor Navigator" - a professional GPS app, not some half baked amateur programmer's project (and with this I don't intend to bash or criticize amateur/open source software, but unfortunately most such projects never reach their full potential for various reasons). This app uses free maps derived from the Open Street Maps project, and if you buy the full version it uses maps from Tele Atlas (the same used by Tomtom). I've always found the free version satisfactory for my needs.

IMHO the only advantage that dedicated GPS units have is that they are normally very rugged and designed for outdoors use. Put a smartphone in a good case and you're covered for most applications.
  15. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Have to disagree, although I suspect you're fanning the fire. When signal is low, or you're up north, you really need a real GPS. Phone work fine otherwise, and there are some stunning apps for both Iphone and Android, such as Craftycoder's offering.

16. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    The new Samsung Galaxy S-4.

:rofl
    :lol3
    :eek1
    :ear
    :norton
    :puke1
    :freaky
    :1drink
    :wink:
    :clap
    :D

is a phone! it works about as good as a GPS as a phone! It is also a Camera. It works about as good as a Phone as a Camera:deal
  17. BobPS

BobPS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently I use iphone 4 with motionX GPS and tomtom for iphone. I really like these two apps and haven't have a need to buy a GPS.
  18. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    Compare your phone to a Garmin Montana, not the old 76. I have both those GPS units, and have been using phones as a backup since the days of Windows 6.
    The 76 is a clunky old unit that's long past it's sell-by date.

Currently I'm running an Android phone, been using Google maps and a few other programs as well.

The Montana also has a wide variety of maps that can be downloaded.
    I used mine with no Garmin maps at all in SE Asia.

One thing, battery life and mounts. The Montana goes 16 hours on the rechargeable lithium, and you can use AAs if that runs out of power for an additional 16 hours.

No need for otterboxes or anything else that affects the interface / usability, I use the GPS wile I'm riding and hated the otterboxes I tried.

The Garmin bike mount is pretty solid, no USB connection to wear out like I have had on a phone for bike power.

When I travel, quite often I rent bikes, much easier to get the Montana mounted as 16 hours of battery life means I can ride all day without having to add bike power.

The Montana remains useful off the bike as well. Great GPS for hiking and marine purposes.

You have the option of using marine and waterway maps as well, if you are into things like kayaking.

And the software is still more powerful and user friendly than I can find on a phone.

Plus, the GPS unit is much faster and more sensitive than anything I've seen in a phone, critical if you are navigating a big, built up city.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  19. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Nokia C5 is really good. Very compact, so you can have it always with you, unlike a GPS.
    The maps are good and totally free.
    I've been on holiday in Greece 2 years ago, I just downloaded the map for that region before the trip, no need to have the whole world always in your phone.
    Also, I think that a Nokia is much more reliable than an IPhone. I may be wrong though, I don't like Apple products so I'm biased.
  20. bobnoxious67

Oddometer:
    My experience is the complete opposite...I find the GPS apps for my phone far faster and more powerful than any GPS I can find, and my "interface" is seamless (as if I don't use a case...the Lifeproof is that good).

And when I'm done recording a track, I can edit it right there if I wish (no clunky hooking-to-the-computer interfacing needed), and instantly share it with whomever I like...and I can be sharing real time locations with other users if I wish (on screen viewing of other people's locations in real time).

I can appreciate you just liking to use a GPS, but there is no GPS that can match a smartphone GPS app for power and features.

Canuman: modern smartphones are "real GPS". There is a real GPS communication chip, and maps can be cached for use in "no cell signal" areas.

I use my old iPhone 4 as my iPod and GPS...no service :deal