BMW sells Husqvarna to KTM !!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by TTRider, Jan 31, 2013.

1. kdscoates

kdscoates Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl
  2. aviatorbdm

aviatorbdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol... ah yes the black stealth double secret probation top security clearance bikes... I thought those were an urban legend.
  3. kdscoates

kdscoates Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey did you guys hear KTM is buying husky and going into the chainsaw market.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess it remains to be seen what the fallout will be? Have to go see if I can find some oil...:lol3
  5. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the recommended valve check schedule on those?
  6. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well I would like to add my enthusiasm for this news of the new ownership and presumably new leadership of Husqvarna. I love the old metal gas tank, dual rear shocks, air cooled Huskys when I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s and always hoped they would take a less quirky design path. Perhaps Husqvarnas will become cool again? I haven't really wanted to buy anything they made for quite some tome now, I am hoping that will change. I certainly like the styling and performance that KTM has produced in the past decade, especially with the big bikes. I can totally see why the OP started this discussion in Orange Crush, maybe there will be a larger ADV bike from Husqvarna in the coming years? Perhaps the same concept and mission that was used to develop the 1190 ADV will be brought to bear on something over at camp Husky? I certainly hope so.
    But now, where do I leave my comments? Who do ask permission from? Is this the right thread? Maybe I should have posted over at Road Warriors or Thumpers, or somewhere else? Maybe I should have spent the past hour searching and searching with the useless search tool on this site for a more relevant discussion? I was hoping for the OC guys take on this development though so this does seem to be the right place.
    Now maybe I should just shut up? Maybe you should just shut up? No, wait, that's just rude.
  7. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    As to how to search the site, have a look at my post: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20621300&postcount=21 There's a way to get to the threads that you are interested in with no problem at all, so read that post.

As to your thoughts about Husky's future, I think only time will tell. Frankly, I love my 950 but would love to see KTM bring an 800cc online to compete directly with the BMW lineup. I think there are a lot of folks here who are more off-road oriented who would love something more manageable off-road than an 1100-1200cc bike. I guess we'll have to see if KTM can make the new bike as appealing as the 950 with its Dakar heritage. As for me, I'd be all over a 750cc KTM V-twin that otherwise duplicates the exact style of the Cyril Depres 2013 bike. The wife would have to fight me away from the checkbook. :lol3
  8. Flyred

Flyred When you come to a fork in the road take it

Oddometer:
    What kind of bar oil should I use?
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    this article shows VW use of the same modular platform design concept
    http://autos.yahoo.com/news/has-volkswagen-discovered-the-holy-grail-of-carmakers--192022985.html
    that KTM is said to use w/ Husky & it's other brands.

Honda is doing it with it's 700 twin package.
    Expect alot more of this in the future from other mfg.

""Watershed Event

VW's suppliers see MQB as a watershed event, a break with a past when really big vehicle platforms might have yielded orders for as many as 5 million or 6 million identical components over their typical six- to seven-year life cycle.

Now, with the implementation of MQB, "they're being asked for quotes on 35 million parts," says a senior European industry executive.

More importantly, the modularity enables VW to design, engineer and build a wide variety of vehicle size and shapes - from a subcompact Polo hatchback to a full-size, seven-passenger crossover that's due in the United States in 2015.

The flexibility of the MQB system also allows VW to create more cars that are more tailored for specific markets at a lower cost, and it doesn't have to sell so many units to break even, according to Morgan Stanley analyst Stuart Pearson."

so...
    same frame and motor in 3 bikes???

berg is premium components
    ktm is very high quality
    husky is quality but more affordable
  10. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No further rude posts?

I smell one of those oilhead trolls from a parallel universe somewhere......

:hide :hide :D :hide :hide

I can't wait to see the new Husky line over the next few years that's for damn sure.