East of Phoenix Rider's Group

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 750Volts!, Oct 21, 2010.

1. IBRiding

IBRiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Nice. I may be in for the Mt Lemmon ride this Saturday.
  3. IBRiding

IBRiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great hope you can make it. The weather should be perfect. I sent you a couple emails thru ADV about the coke oven ride, did they do thru?

Later
    Bill
  4. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I hardly ever check that particular email. I hadn't one so in over a month. I got it. I'll respond shortly. If you need to contact me just send me a PM here or knock on my door. :D
  5. WJP4

WJP4 Will work for toys

Oddometer:
    I know a few of you guys have or have had DR650s. I have been looking to get one and I'm going to look at a couple this weekend. Is there anything I should look out for on certain years? Any problems with things that were changed on newer ones? I've only heard of base gasket leaking, and a problem with third gear? Oh and one that had a wiring harness melt down. Any info appreciated. Wade
  6. JayHawk

JayHawk Grandpa to 3, Great Grandpa to 7

Oddometer:
    Wade,
    Here's some info from Jesse at Kientech.
    1998 and early '99 were equipped with a solid idler gear that created a problem when the engine kicked back during shutdown, breaking out the gear bearing bosses. '96 and '97 had the torque limiter gear that is designed to slip due to a preloaded slip clutch arrangement. They went back to this design in mid '99 after vin # X2100561.
  7. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one that is set up nicely and might be interested in selling. It's in perfect mechanical condition, just a few scratches. If interested let me know. It's a 2005 model.
  8. MrGoldfish

MrGoldfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul,

How many miles were on your KLR when your pipe went out on the Toroweap trip?
  9. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    That's about all you really need to know about these DR's in terms of problems. 96+ are solid and have changed very little. The 98-99 idle gear problem was just for those years.

the only other issue is the NSU screws that can be easily fixed with some time and a little loctite. You'll have to do that on any bike you buy so it's really not an 'issue' to look for. More of a maintenance thing.
    Same as the infamous leaky base gasket. Some years came with a paper gasket which wears easily and starts to weep. Easy cheap fix to throw a metal one and be done with it.

DR650's are solid bikes. Good luck with finding one.
  10. WJP4

WJP4 Will work for toys

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys. I am looking at a 2008 In San Diego. It's 3500 But has all the stuff I would want already on. Might have to sell the WRR. or get my wife a second job.
  11. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Misplaced Farmboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    May be interested in seeing your WRR if you decide to sell. I have tried that 2nd wife with a job...no meant to say 2nd job for wife thing... :lol3
  12. MrGoldfish

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I just passed up 30,000 miles on mine. How often do you do the valve adjustments? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on how often you should check them. Everything from you don't to you need to check them every several thousand miles. My plan has been to check it every 15,000 miles. At 15k I took it to ride now and they said that the valve's were in spec. I've been debating whether I should have someone check them for me or do them myself.
  13. CrozB

CrozB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brought the Ural back home today... She is still sick. They are unable to get the carbs tuned in right (especially the left one). Apparently she has a delicate constitution. So now I have ordered 2 new carburetors. Going to take her for a spin Saturday and I would love to meet you guys on mt. Lemon but the Ural is going to stay close to home until she gets over her indigestion.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
  14. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    what about the strom?

Weak excuses for not going on rides is my job.
  15. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    This came up today in the DR650 thread.

http://dr650.wikia.com/wiki/Potential_problems_to_be_aware_of

sums it up nicely.
  16. WJP4

WJP4 Will work for toys

Oddometer:
  17. CrozB

CrozB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buddy is flying in to town and wants to ride around the Ural... He is on the fence about hacking his "extra GS" and want to see what riding a hack is really like. So we will be riding, but only around town.

Better excuse? Your job is secure, yes? :D

-
  18. MrGoldfish

Oddometer:
    Huh. Thanks for the input.

Here is another question for you. My bike seems to smell more than it used to on start up. Like an old pickup truck if you know what I mean. It is also idling a little rougher on start up. I'm guessing that it just needs a new spark plug and maybe the oil burning issue from going to work everyday at 80 mph is starting to affect the plug. Not sure why it would be fumey though. Maybe the fuel to air mixture needs to be adjusted? :hmmmmm
  19. CrozB

CrozB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone looking for a throw away trail camera I just ordered this from staples for $29 + tax

[​IMG]

If interested Use Coupon Code: 49926 and it will drop to $29

For $30 and those specs, pretty hard to go wrong.

-
  20. MrGoldfish

Oddometer:
    Just went to the site and it says they are out of stock... Those went quick.