so... what now? car/bike advice

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by skierd, Jan 2, 2010.

?

i'm a dumbass

1. truck/van+dirt bike, go racing

2. autocross car or truck/van+kart, go racing, no bike

3. buy a road bike, no car, go travelin'

4. get another WR250R, no car, continue as if nothing happened

5. fuck

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->I'm kinda lost on what to do to replace the Yamaha as I'm fairly certain its not going to be recovered.

option 1 - find a cheap truck or van (preferably 4wd), use the rest to buy a used dirt bike (thinking a KDX220 or XR400) and plate it for local trips and messing around the woods, start messing around with hare scrambles and/or enduros too.

option 2 - find a $3000-4000 car, setup for autocross already (there's a couple ES MR2's available right now, as well as a few ST civics and STS miata's and crx's...). Or cheap truck/van + kart and go racing.

option 3 - buy a more road oriented bike and continue along w/o a car. Stay home if the forecast is even remotely predicting frozen precipitation. There's a few bikes I've been somewhat interested in, but nothing I'm particularly enthralled with. Short list includes the 883 Iron, maybe a DR650 or KLR, an older VFR, F800GS, older GS BMW's, etc sport tourer, or possibly an older sport bike.

option 4 - Find another WR250R and continue along w/o a car. I really loved that bike and want it back. I might be able to find one used with the same aftermarket stuff as mine had for what I get for mine from insurance. Still no car with this option.

My commute's about 20 miles into Baltimore 3-4 days a week, and where I work motorcycles park for free and I can find a spot anywhere w/o a problem. I usually ride to campus as again its MUCH easier to park a motorcycle in the designated areas right by the entrance to the buildings my classes are in, and the parking permit is cheaper by half, but there is a campus shuttle that stops at my complex. My apartment complex only gives us 1 space for 2 cars, so with a car I'd have to always fight for a visitor spot, a bike fits nicely in front of my roommates truck in our spot. I do have a place to put a dirt bike and/or a kart.

I'd like to get back into racing somehow regardless. I'd either get a stock class car that someone is selling to move up, try to build a LO206 briggs kart for w2w racing, or build an f125 kart for autocross. I could get by with a plated dirt bike on the local DS rides I do, but would probably not be able to take the longer trips that I'd really also like to keep doing w/o trailering. Considering most of the trips I do are pavement or soft-roading, a street bike would probably work just as well and be more comfortable on the pavement and high speed stuff, but more hell in the dirt, tire selection will be key of course. And I could always just stay the course and get another WR250R. It did just about everything I wanted a motorcycle to do except make my eyes bleed with acceleration without complaint, and I'm having trouble thinking of a car, truck, or bike that I'd rather have instead of it.[​IMG]

Mods - If this belongs elsewhere, please move it.
  2. LongCliff

LongCliff Bagger

Oddometer:
    If I understand correctly, you can take public transportation instead of the bike when the weather is bad?

If so, I would get another WR250R. It sounds like that is what you really want. Then don't even think about riding it if there is any chance of snow / freezing rain ,etc. Better off taking public transportation or just staying home during a bad snowstorm, even if you had a car.

Sorry about the bike getting stolen. I saw the notice you put up on craigslist. Hope you get it back.
  3. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I can get to school, but not to work (at least not easily).
  4. old-n-slow

old-n-slow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I'd like to get back into racing somehow regardless. I'd either get a stock class car that someone is selling to move up, try to build a LO206 briggs kart for w2w racing, or build an f125 kart for autocross."

This sounds like you're jonesing more towards 4 wheels than two.

A few years ago I thought my 2 wheeled days were over and so bought a new '07 Miata. I'm fortunate enough to still have and enjoy my bikes, but that Miata is a certified hoot to drive! Best of luck in your search.
  5. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I've had two miata's in the past and they're great cars. It wouldn't be hard at all to get back into autocross, I liked it a lot. I like riding more, but I'm considering "car only" as the rational "normal" option. I'm pretty sure a miata can tow a dirt bike on a harbor freight trailer...
  6. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Drive on as it was UNLESS you're sayin' been there, had that experience, ready for something new.

Every few years ya gotta take the plunge and reinvent yourself--don't know if you're due for that, but if you are? Do something different, buy that big DS bike and ply the miles and miles or whatever it may be.

Carpe Scrotum!