RENO where to ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Chilipepper, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Chilipepper

Chilipepper Baja wannabe

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be in the Reno area Sept 5-12 I think it is and I'm wondering about good offroad riding areas.
    I have a Husaberg fe570 with a BC plate on it and I'm looking for good places to go play and maybe if there is some training going on at the time then join in with that too.

Anyone have some advice, rumours or innuendo on where to go ride?

Thanks
  2. bwellard10

bwellard10 n00b

Oddometer:
    The Ride Reno 200 Is happening on that weekend. you should also go the Dustdevils motorcycle club website www.dustdevilsmc.com. Check out the fourm and inpromptu rides. I live in reno and love to ride the area. You can't miss the Ride Reno 200 and banquet on Saturday.
    Hope to see you there and tell your friends.
    Barry
  3. BSchu

BSchu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you decide to travel a little further south.....Mammoth Lakes area....I would be more than happy to show you around...We even have a extra room to stay if you wish....let me know:1drink
  4. Chilipepper

Chilipepper Baja wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys. The 200 mile ride is the weekend after and would probably be an easier ride than what I'm looking for.

Mammoth lakes might be further than we can make it from reno. I have some things I need to do in town. Unfortunately it's not a complete tourist trip.

Are there any designated riding areas around the Reno area? I don't want to trespass if there's a good area to go to that's legit.
  5. 211john

211john Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/nevada_list.htm

This can point you to some good riding areas. Lots of places to ride in any direction. You can try searching here also. Moon Rocks, Hungry Valley, Pine Nuts, Dog Valley. The area around Virginia City is good if you like rocks.

If you don't want to do both days Reno 200 you can still come to the banquet or ride one of the two days. Day two is supposed to route near the air races this year.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/Participant/ParticipantFlyer.aspx
  6. white nuckle toy

white nuckle toy Self taught

Oddometer:
    The Moon rocks area north of Reno has miles of trails to ride. Theres some good single track out there, some of it very challenging. If you take SR 445 ( Pyramind Hiway) north out of Sparks, go out to Winnemucca Ranch Rd. take a left there, go until you come to the dirt road. You can ride anywhere out to the west from there for miles.
  7. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    If you want some nice mountains, go west on I-80 from Reno, up to Truckee, and head north on Hwy 89. 16 miles up, turn left onto Henness Pass Road. Go about eight miles, turn left at the sign pointing to Meadow Lake. It's about 12(?) miles or so up there. Pretty lake at 8000' with a nice campground next to it. All kinds of trails up there.

Or, closer to Reno, as somebody said, the Moonrocks area. If you go up there, there's a nice trail that runs up on the ridge of the Virginia Mountains, which are directly north of Moonrocks. It's not on the indian reservation, but is due south of Winnemucca Ranch Road. I've done this ride on ATVs a number of times and it's fun.

A pre-addition to this ride would be to start in either Lemmon Valley or Spanish Springs. Get out into the valley between the two areas (called Hungry Valley) and follow the trails north. You will eventually end up at Winnemucca Ranch Road and can follow it to the turnoff to Moonrocks.

Rob
  8. Chilipepper

Chilipepper Baja wannabe

Oddometer:
    Great guys thanks for the pointers. It should be a good trip.

Cheers