OLD Riders

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ak bike, Dec 20, 2009.

1. retarded

retarded n00b

Oddometer:
    :rilla I'll be 67 in August and I am trying to find someone to ride along with me to Alaska.I can leave anytime but would like to leave in June.I ride a FJR1300 and a gtx200 cc Honda dirt bike.I started riding at 13 and hope to ride untill at least 80.I live 1/2 the year in the Dominican Republic and the other half in SE Alabama.I still have 20 year old girlfriends in the DR and love every day of living because I live!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Medic

Medic Window licker

Oddometer:
  3. turbodave_98

turbodave_98 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am soon to be 69 riding since 1955. I rode the entire 11 days of the 2009 Iron Butt Rally doing nearly 8000 miles but was not a finishier because of to few bonus points. I had a great time and was never exhausted but did hit some extreme hot(115) days in TX,AZ,CA. I feel satisfied with the results of the finish and hope to get alnother opportunity for a slot in 2011 IBR. Rode a well equipped FJR 1300 AE in 2009 but [plan on riding my 09 Weestrom in 2011 if lucky.

So of us realize that : "We are never to old to ride and not riding does make us Old"

I plan to run my tires till there ain't nothing left except the cords!!:clap :lol3
  4. hockabigloogy

hockabigloogy Got Buddah?

Oddometer:

BUT YOU KIDS JUST KEEP OUT OF OUR OLD GUYS THREAD!!!!
    :gerg
  5. OLDNX

OLDNX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woke up Sunday felt 80, full 9 hour shift at work, plus 3 hours at the airport welcoming home a WW2 honor flight. Had a cup of coffee felt 75, had a second cup felt 70. Looked a honey do list felt 80 again. Better 15/16ths took one look at my sad old face and said go, felt 55. Took 20 min gettin in to FULL ATGATT, pressure suit, knee brace, armored undies, Kilimanjaro, overpants, fly atv boots and X-11 felt 50.
    Fired up the trusty NX650, slipped into gear and felt 45. Got out of town and found a dirt road I havent been on and opened her up felt 35. Went to upshift on a long straight and was out of gears, glanced at speedo and was doing 70 mph on a washed out sandy POS back road felt 25 [as good as it gets]. Put 117 miles on the clock before I rolled back into the barn.

Oh yeah i am 61 and only feel old when I am NOT riding :ricky
  6. rbomb

rbomb Rather Be On My Bike

Oddometer:
    Or what?
    I bet you'll miss her a little bit huh?:rofl
  7. Uhuru

Uhuru Wildest place I've been

Oddometer:
    Bought my first motorcycle just two years ago--at 66. Now I can't figure out how I got by without riding all those years.
  8. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good on you mate, just show's you, it's never too late to start this great life style. I am 61 and been riding well over 40 years, still learning new thing's, still have the urge to ride every day. Best of luck to you, take care!
  9. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    That's all good Uhuru. I saute you.
  10. Grumpy

Grumpy Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Lower South Coast, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa
    Im 69 years, 10 months & 23 days and started riding on a 50cc when I was 16 - I promised myself a K1300S for my 70th to keep the 09 GS company but I could not wait so the K will be delivered next Saturday :1drink :D
  11. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    "Never say die", well until you die that is.
  12. Grumpy

Grumpy Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Lower South Coast, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa
    = + 1 :1drink
  13. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    68, here. I've been riding since age 14, starting out on a 1952 Allstate (Cushman), then getting a new 1958 Allstate Crusaire, which I believe was the happiest day of my youth.

I'm presently touring on a Honda ST1300A, but plan on getting a new 2011 Goldwing when they are available. I normally ride about 20000 miles a year, plus always take my little Pug with me in his Roadhound pet carrier. I've found him to be an excellent pillion passenger.:norton
  14. Uhuru

Uhuru Wildest place I've been

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I think. Namaste to you, from Boulder!
  15. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    Way funny. Namaste to you Uhuru. You shed a fine light indeed.
  16. Jon B.

Jon B. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeez! I feel like a youngster, bein' only 55.

Rode lots, a long time ago (early '70s). Quit in '73, got married in '75, raised a couple kids, etc. Bought a Sportster in '08, traded up to a Road King Classic last summer and brought home a KLR650 ('04) last Friday.

If don't kill myself on the KLR, I hope to ride for another 25 years! Planning a 1600+ mile trip around lake Superior next month with a few other old guys.

Jon B.
  17. ak bike

ak bike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dredging up this old thread , I guess olds the key word , wondering how many older folks are riding bikes , like age into the 60's to 80 plus. Checked out the list of threads and the nearest thread I could find was " Olds Cool " I'm not to sure of that , just wondered how many of us are still lucky enough to still be able to sling our leg over the bike , what you are riding and where are you going ?....
  18. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    Three years older than last time I answered this question. 66 now and still at it.
  19. ak bike

ak bike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, where did those 3 years go I'm wondering.
  20. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just turned 64. I have entered the Alcan 5000 in 2014. I'll be riding a KTM 690R.

I generally ride a few dual sport rides per year and I poke around the southwest aboard a Yam wr250r. The new KTM is probably my last motorcycle, though.