Canol road : attempt #1

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KLR650Canuk, Jun 20, 2009.

1. KLR650Canuk

KLR650Canuk Rasshøl

Oddometer:
    The plan was to ride to Johnson's Crossing in the Yukon from Grande Prairie Alberta, then ride up to Ross River on the South Canol road, then continue on the North Canol road to the NWT border. But due to high spring runoff this year, the rivers are very high and has washed out a few bridges on the south and north Canol roads closing them completely.
    I then rode up to Carmacks and then down the Campbell highway to Ross River continuing on to Watson Lake. I then rode down the Cassier highway with a stop in Telegraph Creek and then east back to Alberta.

Clean and shiny bike ready to go:
    [​IMG]
    Nice view from above Steamboat:
    [​IMG]

Breakfast at Toad River:
    [​IMG]

Some of the local wild Buffalo:
    [​IMG]

Forest fire still smouldering near Liard River that closed the Alaska highway:
    [​IMG]

Another shot of a fine looking KLR650Adventure:
    [​IMG]

Camping in Teslin Yukon, the tenting area was under water due to high water, so I camped in the mini-golf course:
    [​IMG]

Teslin Lake :
    [​IMG]

Found out next that the south Canol road was closed for sure, and maybe the North as well due to washed out bridges. So I rode all day up to Carmacks and then down the Campbell highway to Ross River to check out the North Canol road.

On the beautiful Campbell highway:
    [​IMG]

Really nice Lake with no-one around:
    [​IMG]

Same lake:
    [​IMG]

Next stop Faro Yukon; nice little town with a big zinc/lead mine:
    [​IMG]

Old dumptruck on display:
    [​IMG]

Next stop was Ross River where the ferry takes you across the Pelly to the north Canol road. Confirmed that the north Canol road was indeed closed due to bridge washouts.

[​IMG]

I decided to carry on to Watson Lake as there was no nice place to camp in Ross River. Seeing that I got there about 7:30 in the evening; I had to bug a lot of people to get gas so I could carry on. (pain in the ass tourist!)
    I got out of there around 9:30 pm and rode the 377km to Watson Lake, with a few stops: This outhouse in the middle of no-where was a welcome site!
    [​IMG]

By the time I got to Watson Lake, the sun was starting to come back up at 2:30 am.
    [​IMG]

Got up in a couple of hours and headed down the Cassiar to Telegraph Creek BC; Canada's grand canyon: If you look close you can see a motorcycle on this road.
    [​IMG]

Next to the excellent cafe at Telegraph Creek BC for a good bowl of stew with homemade bread, and made some new friends:
    [​IMG]

Cool old town from the late 1800's:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amazing scenery:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a marathon ride home with a stop in Smithers BC: Home with my three beautiful daughters and very understanding wife!!
    [​IMG]

I will have to try the Canol again another year, but later in the season after the water levels drop.
    :ricky
    CavReconSGT and M.S.R. like this.
  2. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Nice report, I rode the North and South Canol roads in 2005 , The North was a special road , great scenery and the truck dumps were great to see, I had planned to do Telegraph Creek but due to heavy rain had to give it a miss that trip . Cheers Toddy
  3. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the trip and sharing. I just entered a lengthy "thanks" and it disappeared !!!

Enjoyed your trip, sorry you missed the n/s canol road, another trip/another time. I love and I miss those wonderful people and the country/scenery.

Suggested you and your family post your pic in the "adv families' link here .

Thanks again, gale, formally of Tete Jaune Cache
  4. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bummer that you couldn't get thru the Canol rds. I too was up there in 2005 and it is something not to be missed. Hope you try again. Your pics are great and a good choice on Telegraph Creek.!
  5. bullfrog

bullfrog Dismember

Oddometer:
    wow!!!

:bow
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looks like quite the successful attempt :thumb Lovely ride, report and family :clap