2013 ama supercross

Discussion in 'Racing' started by ADK, Sep 12, 2012.

1. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    I was listening to an old timer talking about back in the 50's he was watching a scrambles race or whatever they called it at the time. he knew a guy who was on a Adler 2 stroke and he was watching him. guy was up front and went up a hill and then came right back at the pack as if the bike had a reverse gear. I guess the hill was steep enough that he stalled it and before you know it when he rolled backwards he'd bump started it by accident and the engine was running backwards and back at the pack he came, though not for very long as down he went. :deal
  2. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    the YZ 360's must count for something?
  3. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:

Maybe, and the RD500.
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    It wasnt that long ago that it was a big deal if a KTM could just qualify for an SX main event,they have come a long ways in a short while.
    They might not be the best bike out there now but they're improving.

Probably dirtbike sales dont justify Yamaha doing a complete re-design but their 450 has had too many top riders pan it to be seen as a great bike.

Suzuki hasnt changed their bike much but it works fine still.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I was racing shorttrack when those 360's came out,guys would buy the whole YZ360,yank the engine and stuff it in a Champion frame and have the fastest hotrod on the track!

They looked trick,sounded bad ass and went fast.
  6. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    You can make a decent roadracer out of those as well. Stuff those engines in a RD350 or 400 chassis...
  7. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    The tank strap silver YZ's with the red stripe are the shit. The 125's are easy to come by. The 250's are hot items. The 360's are rare and can bring big money. We were at Unadilla when the production YZ's were unveiled, maybe for the first time. Those tiny foot pegs. Everything about those YZ's were trick and:eek1 at the time. Great story about how Don Jones developed it all, even the story about the tank strap is cool. Cool bikes.
  8. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I believe that the green stripe on the 74 CR's were from the Jones family as well, Honda had the tank all silver and while testing Gary or Dwight said the sun was reflecting of the tank and Don had some green paint in the van so sprayed the top of the tank. Honda saw it and it stayed on the production bikes. At least that's the way I remember the story...

[​IMG]
  9. SGrider

SGrider Bob's country bunker

Oddometer:

Ironically, Stewart had won more races last year on the Yamaha at this point in the season than he has this year on the Suzuki.
  10. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it me or is Bubba about the most inconsistent rider out there? Fast as hell at times, barely top 5 at times, and laying on the ground at times. I thought he'd be one of the front runners this year, which he seems to be in qualifying, but he really has trouble putting together a good race every weekend. Ya gotta wonder if he's going to hang it up soon... he seems like the type of guy who loses interest when he's not winning and in the spotlight.
  11. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    He's holding out for outdoors now.
    If he doesn't have a chance to win he's not going to push it.
    Smart riding in my book.
    He's going to be a force to reckon with outdoors this year.

A side note:it's snowing in Minneapolis.
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I ended up with just the back wheel and tire off a silver tank 360 a couple months ago,it had been hidden away in a dark garage since it was new.
    Just the stock nearly unused tire brought 139.00,hub and backing plate went to a guy with a works bike museum,about 360.00 for the bits.
    All the wheel parts were subtly different then the MX'ers.
    The frame is hidden somewhere in this area,Id like to find it.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Oh I think hes pushing it,its natural for James to try to charge to the front whether hes winning a title or not.
    I was really pulling for him and Dungey to have a good tight race in Huston,then JS tipped over again,I kinda felt bad for him.
    He always pushes it but the consistency isnt there.
  14. PTRadam

PTRadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad RV is a more tallented outdoor rider than a SX rider........

I was so bummed when RV tweaked his Knee at the last SX race last year. I'd love it if RV, Dungey, and Stewart battle it out all summer. We'll see.
  15. enduro0125

Oddometer:
    Yup
    RV has it dialed right now.
    They need to get in his head,that's the only way to beat him.

Those three are all so talented the only difference is the mental game right now.
  16. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    RD's consistency amazes me... he's always at the front and able to go really fast, and rarely makes a mistake or crashes. It does happen, but of the top riders he seems to crash the least.
  17. enduro0125

Oddometer:
    No doubt he's there to win.

Once he was out of the points chase though it seems if he's not able to win it he throttles down.
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Its almost in an offhand casual sort of way that he rides,hes fast and smooth.
    If he could just step it up 1 notch,and then get a start, Dungey would be at the front.
    His starts put him in trouble more often then not,battling through a pack of hotshoes with their throttles stuck open has got to be scary at times.
    You never know who might take you out.
  19. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dare I say"wait till the outdoors" where a 5th place holeshot doesn't doom you to a second thru 5th finish?:evil:lol3
  20. Davidjohnson

Davidjohnson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shorts bike after 1tst practice...woops hard on the clutch

Attached Files: