URAL Advice

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by WhoGotYa, Aug 3, 2012.

1. WhoGotYa

WhoGotYa n00b

Oddometer:
    Question for all ya hack riders.

First off, I've never driven a sidecar bike before but I have put my time in over the years on 2 wheels.

Now I'm looking at getting a URAL for a variety of reasons and I want to know if I've really lost my mind and if not (quite) then I'm hoping for some advice on which of 2 bikes to get.

First off, I'm attracted to the utility of 2WD because I would like to be able to explore places where the asphalt doesn't always go. I also like the idea of a sidecar because it simplifies hauling dogs, groceries, camping gear etc....around. Not to mention the uniqueness factor which is always a plus!

The bike itself will be used (Canadian weather permitting)
    - For my daily commute a few times a week which currently is around 35km each way. This does involve some highway driving but averaging 80 km/h would be about it.
    - Weekends will be spent driving up in the country (some flat top, some gravel, some dirt track) and lotsa camping
    - Obviously, bombing around the city in the good weather instead of using the car

There's a URAL Patrol 2009 nearby selling for about $9000 (incl. taxes, fees etc) which looks great in the photos BUT it has only a 30 day warranty from the dealer.

Then there's the 2012 Patrol which will run me about $16,900 (incl. taxes, fees etc.)

Question is, while I like the idea of a NEW & shiny bike, the extra $8,000 is a lot to pay for incremental improvements & a 2 year warranty, is it worth buying new or saving the money in the bank ?

Any ideas ?
  2. matman1972

matman1972 Lost in the woods.

Oddometer:
    How many KM on the 2009? If it is very very low, beware. It would be better if it was one that was occasionally to regularly ridden, and had the bugs (if there were any) worked out. 2009 is a good year, and if it is in good shape, that's not too bad a price. Contains quite a few of the important updates. I personally would be going after that one if I had to choose between the two, and it was well ridden and cared for.
    Have you visited CURD http://curdforum.net/ ?
    I would strongly suggest visiting there, sovietsteeds.com, and/or Russianiron.com. All three are excellent sources of information. The seller may even be on one of them, and you could get some background information. If not, there are many knowledgeable owners there that could help you with the purchase.
  3. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who

Faced the same decision, finally decided on a used 2005 Ural, well broken in and settled down. All the kinks were worked out by the time it reached 15,000 km. Bought it from an estate in Florida. Kids didn't know much about, but could tell it was well cared for, some parts were upgraded by PO.

Now I don't worry about bashing about in the mud and water like I did tonight. Drilling a hole to mount a light or something won't bother me as much as it would if it was new and shiny. With what I saved over buying new, I can replace most anything that might break. Compared to BMW parts, Ural parts are Dollar General prices. Parts and pieces can be adapted from other sources too. Today I replaced a dry cracking air intake hose with a Gates hose from a local small engine repair shop. If I had a new machine, would probably try to keep it with all OEM parts. But since it is used, anything that works is fine. It ain't beauty, it's all about utility and function.:bert

If you want a garage queen, buy new. If you want to use it like it was intended with fewer worries, go used.

Just my 2ยข.
  4. WhoGotYa

WhoGotYa n00b

Oddometer:
    Matt,

Thanks for the suggestions on the sites. Been trolling a few of 'em already.

The 2009 has almost 10,000km on it and apparently the owner traded it in for a 2012. I'm a bit leery about buying someone else's problems but as you mention, the 2009 has got most of the newer goodies and if there's an item or two that need work, the $8,000 I'm saving would sure go a long way towards repairs.
  5. WhoGotYa

WhoGotYa n00b

Oddometer:
    CCJon,

I agree that if I bought new, I'd be worried about getting mud on something or heaven forbid, a SCRATCH !!

Seriously, though I would prefer new just "because", that $8000 in the bank would go a long way to ease my mind and if I needed to fix something, I can probably buy a few widgets with that money if needed.

Not to mention the fact that this would be my first hack and so if I truly fell in love, I could always sell this one in a few years and then sink into a newer model.

WGY
  6. planzman

planzman commie bike rider

Oddometer:
    I bought "Clay" with 6440 klicks on him, he had just finished half the tran am trail (Atlanta to Oak city) during his first of 200 miles of lifw he had both a rocker arm failure and a final drive complete lock down. Since i got him in Dec 2010, i have abused him out at the deer camp every weekend, ridden all the local dirt roads trying to keep up with some buddies on litlle 250's, and as of right now since i sold my car , he is my only ride! He now has about 19k on the clock and runs better and better.:clap and we are looking forward to both Dove and Deer season starting in a few weeks (early Sep).

Put down your money on one or the other and start riding the darn thing.
  7. matman1972

Oddometer:
    That 10000km would make me feel better about buying it than a few hundred. And the fact that they traded it for a 2012 in my mind says they did not have a lemon in the 2009.
  8. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep reading & check out the units for sale by member in Soviet Steel....some of these members have 2 & now want something newer.

Test ride one before you buy.
  9. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The few most important differences between a 2009 and a 2012 will be,

Alloy rims
    Stronger final drive hardware
    Stronger front brake linkage
    Improved alternator drive
    High quality precision matched pistons, rings, and cylinders
    Needle bearing rockers

There have been several other changes, but they are the main ones.

The age old question of new vs. used, the only "best" answer is what fits your budget and what makes you happy.
  10. SmellyGoatBoy

SmellyGoatBoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just went through the same thing. I decided on the new 2012 Gear-up. It had all that I wanted and the warranty sealed the deal. But I still wonder if I made the right decision. As you will with whatever choice you make. Either way, you'll be happy. Ural's are great, but beware, you are buying a slow, old technology. If you don't like to tinker, you'll hate this bike.

Good luck.​
  11. Paint shaker

Paint shaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in your situation back in Feb of this year. I had decided to settle and buy a brand new Patrol T. When I arrived, Holopaw Gene had another bike sitting on the floor; a 1997 with 2008 engine/tranny/final drive. I saved about $5000 going with the used one. Approaching 9,000 klicks on the klock with no regrets!
  12. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you've done any research at all on the Ural (which I hope you have), you know you are going to have to wrench on it eventually - period. So I really wouldn't worry about the issue of warranty because a warranty is going to expire eventually anyway. Like someone else said, with the money you will save buying used, you'll have a few thousand left over to fix it if something goes wrong. If you're looking for something more along the lines of peace of mind, you probably want to look at another bike :D
  13. ivel_86

ivel_86 Chair Ranger

Oddometer:
    I got my 2010, after going thru about what your going thru happy I got the new one. Not sure why but I am. And I didn't care at all that I rode it and got it muddy and didn't mind. ALso my dog put scratches in the paint on the tub I didn't care. It is def not like any there bike thats for sure.
  14. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 3 years warranty, last December, got my decision... New!!
  15. RickH

RickH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a really good deal on the '09, if it's otherwise as you describe. The PO probably couldn't resist the allure of the new M70. 10km is a reasonable mileage for a well sorted-out rig of that age. I bought new in '11, but I didn't have anything else available. I'm at 5k km in 11 months and have had no problems worth mentioning.
  16. UralNorm

UralNorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding an '09 Tourist here in Oz. I have no idea of new or used Ural values elsewhere so I can't comment on prices.
    My '09 is reliable. I ride highways, secondary and dirt roads, and in 32 months it's covered 67,000km. Reliability has been good, but after sales support has been great. I buy all parts either from the local importer, 1,600km away, or from Crawfords.
  17. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's hit or miss and I'm looking pretty hard. I'll find some '07 to '09 models where they want anywhere from $6500 to $9000 for them. Then I'll find someone with an '05 or older wanting close to the $6500 or more range (even if it's a Tourist model). Every once in a while I'll find someone with a not too old one for the $4000 range, it's hit or miss.

From what I've seen, these bikes seem to be getting more popular and I think the prices are beginning to reflect that. Nobody has to *give* them away anymore, but that said, I still see people selling five year old bikes for nearly the price of a new one. It's whatever someone feels comfortable spending the money on like anything else.
  18. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I was in your position in 2008. I decided that my approach would be to by used, and to get the best I could afford, regardless of model. I found a 2005 Tourist with very low mileage, and have had no major issues and only a few minor ones. I neither baby it nor abuse it, and it sees regular offroad use.

The 2009 you mention is pretty much broken in at 10k, and any kinks should have surfaced and been dealt with by then.
  19. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    I thought it was 2 years unlimited mileage. Yes?
  20. matman1972

Oddometer:
    3 now. I believe they made that change for the 2011's but I may be off on that.