Tuned to the Sound of Motorcycle Exhausts Screaming and Engines Humming

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by y0y02369, Apr 11, 2013.

1. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Took a wee spin on the roads I suggested to break in my new rotors. Thought I would inspire you to ride this area with a few pictures :wink:
    Up kings mountain road off woodside road (84), over and down on tunitas creek. Left on highway 1 to stage road followed into pescadero, pescadero road up to alpine then back onto 84, then skyline to old la honda and back home. Good couple of hours and the conditions are perfect, roads are clean with the recent wind and rain they are all washed and ready to go :D
    Tunitas creek road.
    [​IMG]
    This one is secret but the scenery is what you will have on most of the roads around here :D
    [​IMG]
  2. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

:clap:clap

Looks like a blast! Can't wait to get the new bike to enjoy the windies!!

Secrets aren't mean to be kept here!! :wink: I wanna know some dirt roads! Promise i won't tell! :rofl
  3. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    That one would come with a trespassing ticket :cry
    years back they would open gazo creek up to the fire look out, each time I go out it is never open, I think they have some housing up there now and locals hold the keys :dunno

I ain't much of a dirt guy so I don't have much info on those. potholed and goat trail types I am your man though :lol2
  4. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

ahah gotcha! I have been on some of those too! off calaveras there are a couple private dirt roads. But hey, it's not illegal till you get caught!! I'm not big on dirt but i do enjoy some fireroads. I have only been on a few but thought it was a blast! Hence why I am dropping the cruiser to get a Tiger! :rofl:rofl
  5. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Are you ready for dirt roads and rough, narrow, twisty, paved roads?
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    There are not many dirt roads in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>South</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Bay</st1:placeType></st1:place> area but there are a few. A lot of narrow, twisty, paved roads though, I find them fun. And often you need to go on roads like this to get to dirt.
    <o:p></o:p>
    I can’t seem to post a picture here anymore.
    <o:p></o:p>
    If you use a GPS I can give you some addresses to route too.
  6. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

I enjoy both dirt and small windy paved roads! I do have a gps!
    Anyone been to the tahoe roads?
  7. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but in many ways the riding is better here. More dirt up in the Sierra’s though.

I'll PM you some addresses
  8. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

Oh really? How come? roads are smoother or what? I've always wanted to ride to tahoe for camping trip! :evil not too fun on a cruiser though since i love leaning in. Hopefully will do it this summer!:D
  9. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    It’s a very popular tourist area, with a lot of enforcement. There are not a lot of fun roads to ride unless you like main arteries.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I like back roads and going to Tahoe takes me a day. And I am ready to leave as soon as I get there. It’s a fun enough ride but a lot of work too.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Have you looked at a map of the areas you want to ride? My Zumo has improved the quality of my rides but it doesn’t replace a good paper map. The Zumo makes routing easer.
    We have world class riding here in the Bay Area. Everyone should be so lucky but they are not.
    Anyway, if you want Tracks for the Tahoe area you likely be able to find them in the GPS forum here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37
    I am not a fan of dedicated routes and rarely save them <o:p></o:p>
  10. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

yeah i definitely know what you mean. The summer can be hectic there because of all the stupid newbs come out in the summer :lol3 I usually try to go up at the end of May or beginning June, before all the kids are let out of school for the summer. But I don't know, it's just always been a dream of mine to ride n camp up there!

I'm not fond of redoing the same routes either. Only time i do, is to plan it out. I have Nuvi but have a hard time routing maps... is the Zumo better for that kind of stuff?? Thanks for the forum though!

Ever thought of leading some rides through this area?? I have led a couple and it was awesome!
  11. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Have a hard time routing maps? You mean routing from a paper map?
    I use a paper map primly to get the Big Picture. However, I can use it as a source for routing points.
    I have an old Zumo, a 450 which I like very much. I can make routes up on my home computer with MapSource and download them to the Zumo if I want. And I can save a ride as a route. But I don’t like long dedicated routes. I always change my mind and want to go a different way. But the Zumo resist that and tries to bring me back onto my original course
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I like auto routing, it’s flexible, and if I deviate from the route it will just give me a new route to my target. It’s easer just to make a route up on the my home computer though.
    What it amounts too, with auto routing I can pick the roads I want to ride as I go. The Zumo just lets me know, very quickly, if the road I have chosen can get me to my target. I find it a lot fun to ride this way. And it’s an essay way to discover new roads and routes too ride.
    How many ways can I get to Bonne Doon? :D
    I have found this technique works best if the target is less then 30 miles as the crow files. However, I once crossed western <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Oregon</st1:place></st1:State>, south to north, all on back roads using only 5 points to route me. It was a great ride.
    If had to buy a new GPS, I’d likely buy the <st1:State><st1:place>Montana</st1:place></st1:State>.
    If you like Group rides; South Bay Riders forum has a Group ride folder. http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/
  12. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

I certainly like to change the plan at the last minute too! It makes he ride much more enjoyable. I have a set course every single day to either work or school so being able to change as I go makes it much more pleasurable.

I have not been able to plan a route on my computer yet... I have a Mac and Mapsource doesn't seem to like Macs :cry I will probably just run Parallels. I do not know also if I can pre-load a map on my Nuvi from a computer...

All through Oregon on backroads?? That must have been a blast! :D
  13. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Yep, a little planning and with the GPS&#8217;s helped make it easy and fun.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I think the Zumo is the best accessory I ever bought for riding. :D
  14. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
  15. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
  16. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe i will sell my Zumi and get a Zumo instead then! I never use the Zumi, Iphones work just fine!

Oh that look looks awesome! THanks!

:clap:clap
  17. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Oh, I am sorry; I am not advocating you buy a new Zumo. I don’t have one and I am not sure how well it works. I think the 660 works well but..... and they are expensive.
    Last year my 450 broke down and Garmin would not repairer it, it was a discontinued unit. There is a thread in Layin Down Tracks with gave me hope I could fix the 450.
    While I tried to figure it out, I bought a Zumo 220 which was a newer model and pretty expensive. It was a big disappointment after having used a 450, still useful though. But I don’t believe it would have worked well on my trip through <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Oregon</st1:place></st1:State>
    I was eventually able to fix my 450 and I’m a happy camper again. :D
  18. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

Oh don't worry it wasn't anything soon or for sure! More of a "just kidding" moment".:lol3 I really like the Zumi but for motorcycle i find it really hard to use because it always calculates 'shortest time' and when i chose a different route it tends to flip out on me! Also I do not think I can preload maps on there... or can i...?:eek1
  19. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually found this Iphone app which lets me plan and save maps too! Super excited for the next joy ride! :D
  20. DRGNHTR

DRGNHTR Dragonhunter

Oddometer: