rnickymouse failure Mulholland fest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much started that way. :lol3

And, shame on you all for not commenting on my picture. :evil
  2. feldjäger

feldjäger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't completely disagree with you. I just think twice about certain roads when I ride my bicycle. I have this saying, you may have the right away, but you don't out weigh the car, truck or motorcycle that will hit you. As for the Angeles Crest, there were more than a few of those guys riding two or three abreast. It is important to share the road period! When you choose to ride like an idiot, not only do you put your life in danger but others as well, and that make you an asshole!
  3. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you watch the video from the "chase" motorcycle, you'll see that the Mishap Rider had plenty of clues that there were cyclists just ahead of him. IMO, he ignored all of them with predictable results.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Av5nQba0I3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I hope you are not being serious (but fear that you are.) Cyclists might be annoying but they have as much right to be out there enjoying a curvaceous road as you do. If you can't ride in a way that allows you to react appropriately when you come round a corner and find a cyclist in the road, how the hell are you going to manage when it's a broken down car, large piece of junk, etc. Then you admit to passing a vehicle (never mind the double yellow) without being able to see whether he might be making a manouver to avoid something.

This is either a really good troll or you are a clueless, unskilled idiot and you should strongly reconsider whether motorcycling is for you.
  5. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Oh... the irony!
  6. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    276 through the Pisgah National Forest is probably the slowest tightest road I've ever seen. I didn't care that much for it.
  7. Jocassee

Jocassee Petrolhead

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, the ADV nuclear response..."I disagree with your philosophy of riding and safety, so you should hang up the keys and get a Segway instead."

I can and have dodged junk and cars that try to kill me. My ill-advised passing maneuver aside, i have had bicycles wander into my part of road twice in the last year, placing my life and theirs in jeopardy. I'm not talking about riding on the outside line which is unsafe enough. I'm talking about failure to control their machine aggravated by an inherent weakness in the propulsion system, namely, the nut behind the handlebars.
  8. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Yep....I just checked, and your username is in the dictionary right next to fucking dumbass. GFYS.
  9. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Guy on a motorcycle objects to bicyclists being unprotected!

Heck if all the dead motorcyclists who had cars turn left in front of them hadn't been so foolish as to go out on a highway so unprotected, they wouldn't be dead! They shouldn't have been out there on a road without being inside a car with an airbag.

Dood, it's a PUBLIC road where bicycles are allowed. These bicycles were doing it right, pretty much riding on the white line. If a motorcyclist can't get through a corner due to the space taken up by bicycles in single file in the outer 6 inches of roadway, that person is some combination of too lacking in skills to be on a public road, and too lacking in judgement to be on a public road because they were riding it as if it were a private closed course.

It's a public road. Leave some safety margin for others you are sharing the road with. Cuz it's not just your road, it's theirs too.
  10. palinka

palinka nope

Oddometer:
    Do you also advocate running over grandma's who might take a bit longer to cross at an intersection?
    I agree with you, it is very inconsiderate of them to be old and slow.

:rolleyes
  11. Jocassee

Jocassee Petrolhead

Oddometer:
    Go back and read my first post again. The motorcyclist in the video was retarded. No question. I wouldnt say the bicyclists were retarded...but they were on, as you correctly pointed out, a public road, where vehicles much larger and faster than they operate.

I overstepped in my original post and and said bikes should be kept off the road, as in legally. There's really no sense in that and i'm man enough to admit it...but seriously. Would you ride a bicycle on the interstate? If not, then why on a twolane where the speed limit is 55?
  12. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    and if not a 55 speed limit, why not a 35 (the limit on Mulholland, if my research is correct, maybe a Californian can confirm this...). Maybe bicyclists should only ride downhill:deal. Or just on a sidewalk. Then, of course, those pesky pedestrians would be in the way.

outlaw walkers now!
  13. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Clear evidence of lack of road use laws.
  14. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    As your "philosophy of riding and safety" seems to be that another user group has no right to be sharing the road with you and you blame them for the consequences of your "ill-advised passing maneuver", then yes, I do disagree. Furthermore, I would not recommend a Segway as if you think bicycles are slow and unpredictable, you will certainly find the pedestrians on the sidewalk get in your way far worse. I suggest you pick a mode of transport where everybody is moving at the same speed in the same direction - maybe bus - or you could apply to be a Nascar driver :deal

Seriously though, cyclists are a lot better than dogs or children and no worse than texting drivers or gravel trucks. You simply need to adaptand advance your riding skills to deal with them appropriately when you come across them. Treat them as an additional challenge to enjoy overcoming. Your blood pressure will probably benefit too.
  15. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Pedestrians..... in Cali.......... surely you jest, there's no such thing. :lol3
  16. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    How to do it right:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yVV6K0ORUKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:freaky
  17. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    ...There's a bicyclist complaining about these guys:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s5vsj-9JEcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:evil
  18. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are those skateboards allowed on the road like that??? seems they would pose a hazard to everyone....:dunno
  19. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    They don't have a throttle to power out of danger. :augie
  20. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Nice bit of riding:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hKKSiYo-GNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>