airhead fork caps

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by JonnyCash, Mar 20, 2011.

1. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    Hi all. On my /5, I've got chromed fork caps, but I seem to remember that some were just polished aluminum. I think I used to have a set, but I sure cant find them. The reason I ask is that I have clubman bars on the bike and they hit the fork caps, preventing me from rotating the bars back as far as I would like. I was thinking that if I had a set of aluminum ones, I could grind out a trench in them to accommodate the bars, allowing me to rotate them further back than I have them now. I wouldn't want to do that with the chromed ones. The other thing I thought about doing is to have some caps made up that are completely inside the fork tube, allowing more room for the bars, but i'd rather come up with something I can do myself. Thanks all.
  2. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    The aluminum ones were pretty thin. I don't know how much yoy could clearance. You could use 1977-1980 /7 fork caps that use a 8mm or 10mm nut instead of the large caps.
  3. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    wouldn't it be easier to just build some shallow riser plates to put under the handlebar mount/clamp doohickeys?
    That's the road I would take, probably wouldn't take much as far as thickness is concerned.
  4. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    That would work but you might need longer studs.
  5. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Conbo of both - later nuts and slight risers?
  6. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I thought of the riser plates, but as was mentioned, I'd need to come up with some longer studs. As it is, there is about 2 mm of extra stud showing when it's all put together. I havent even tried to get the studs out. I wonder it they're threaded in, or cast in to the aluminum. Guess I should try. I'll try to see what the later fork caps look like, maybe they'll work. Thanks for the replies.
  7. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    They are threaded in.
    Even if you have to replace them with longer ones, that still seems easier and less unsightly as gouging your fork caps.
    If I remember correctly, there's lots of thread in the bases and you can easily and safely back them out 3 or 4 mm.