GS / ST Trippin', Trials - and an Evolution !

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Mar 28, 2014.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Update - Picked up another GSA. So, I will be doing some exploring on the large Adventure Machine - in between rides on the ST and EVO Road King. Got to mix it up. Variety is the spice of life !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the last 10 or 12 years a riding buddy and myself have both been threatening to buy a ST1300. Actually, I remember reading the write up about it the year it came out in 2003 within the (at the time) black and white pages of Motorcycle Consumer News. A couple friends and I were sitting around the break room at the old truck garage analyzing the spec sheet on the ST and thinking, now that is a mile eating machine right there !!!

Well, the time has finally come when the right ST at the right time in my life has come together.

Now to find a break in the relentless Northern winter that is supposed to be over so I can go get it and ride it home to Detroit.

Last Friday after work, I had a friend at work run me over to Cleveland, Ohio so I could ride it home. (Parma,Ohio to be exact)

We got the paperwork done and jumped on the road wanting to knock down some miles while it was still in the 40's and before the drizzle they were calling for came.

What an amazing machine !!!! After only a few miles - this bike felt like home.

[​IMG]

The bike has 49,800 miles on it from the original owner and has a good start on the FARKLES.

It has a J&M CB/Intercom system, Givi trunk, MCL risers, MCL Highway pegs, Aux. Fuse block, extra Clearview windshield and a few other things.

[​IMG]

2014 RIDES

-MOONSHINE LUNCH RUN 2014

-DETROIT TO OBX

-LAKE SUPERIOR 1000

-LAKE HURON & THUMB

-LOWER GREAT LAKES 1000

-SLEEPING BEAR DUNES NATIONAL LAKESHORE TOUR

-SOUTHEAST OHIO FALL HARVEST TOUR

2015 RIDES

- MOONSHINE LUNCH RUN 2015

- SKYLINE DRIVE & BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY

- LAKE HURON 1000 -

- YOOPER MADNESS 1000 -
    - 1,018 Miles in 15 Hours and 26 Minutes

-DETROIT TO MAINE -

- S.E. OHIO AND MARIETTA RUN-

2016 RIDES

- DETROIT TO KEY WEST -

- SMOKY MOUNTAINS & VIRGINIA COAST-

- DETROIT MURAL HUNTING -

- U.P. - COPPER HARBOR - PORCUPINE MOUNTAINS -

- TOLEDO MURAL HUNTING -

- AUTUMN VIRGINIA RUN -

- SOUTHERN OHIO -

2017 RIDES

- DETROIT TO CALIFORNIA -

- BUN BURNER GOLD -
    -1,620 miles in 23 hours and 30 minutes

- SADDLE SORE 2000 -
    - 2,300 miles in 41 hours and 46 minutes

- DETROIT TO THE OUTER BANKS -

- DETROIT TO NORTHWEST U.S.A.

- BUN BURNER GOLD -
    - 1,580 miles in less than 24 hours.

- SADDLE SORE 2000 -
    - over 2,000 miles in less than 48 hours

- SADDLE SORE 1000 -
    - Sturgis, South Dakota to Detroit

2018 RIDES

- MANISTEE NATIONAL FOREST

- MID ATLANTIC BACKCOUNTRY DISCOVERY ROUTE (MABDR)

- KENTUCKY ADVENTURE TOUR (KAT)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    maxjett, Oznay, PC7A and 4 others like this.
  2. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Congrats on your bike finally!
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    From Parma,we jumped on 480 West and took it back to the Ohio Turnpike.
    Then entering the Turnpike and heading West towards Toledo.

[​IMG]

The total distance we had to cover was only 160 miles,so even if the temperature dropped in the 30 ' s and some drizzle sets in I should still be alright.

I didn't yet have a plate for the bike so Kenny was following me.

Entering the Ohio Turnpike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has been about 5 years since owning a true road bike (I've been riding Adventure and Dual sport bikes lately) and this ST felt great.
    I appreciated the rock solid road manners,especially while passing Semi trucks.

[​IMG]

Shortly after sunset,with only 30 miles to Toledo we pulled into one of the very convenient service plazas that are spread out along the Turnpike.
    We went into the food court area and sipped a Starbucks as I raved to Ken about the attributes of the ST.
    I received the occasional weird stare from travelers as I walked by in full riding attire as they are not yet accustomed to seeing riders this early in the year.

[​IMG]

Back on the road and the bikes ambient temperature gauge was reading 34° and I was catching an occasional pocket of drizzle but nothing substantial.
    I am glad I took the time to hook up my power lead for the heated jacket liner before leaving !!!

After passing through Toledo, only another 60 miles were left to cover.
    Just inside the Michigan border I pulled into the Welcome center/Rest stop as the Starbucks and cold weather combined for a necessary restroom break.

[​IMG]

Around 10:30 PM , I arrived home feeling satisfied that this ST will make one fine mile muncher.

I figure as it warms up every ride can only get better.

I plan on keeping this thread ongoing and just adding to it as I go on rides and work on the bike.
    Hopefully some inmates will enjoy it and feel free to chime in with comments or questions anytime.
    Michaelc831 and sanjuanbum like this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Last Sunday we had some fair weather so I got out for a couple hundred mile ride.
    I'm still in the process of setting the bike up how I want it,so I am paying close attention to any annoyances and modifications I want to make.

The stock windshield,in my opinion,works pretty well and I could live with it but the bike also came with a Clearview with a adjustable vent.It is 3" wider and about the same height but has some curve in it to redirect the air more effectively.
    So I installed that to give it a try and will leave it.
    It is working fine.

The seat gets changed on every bike I ride.
    All the custom seat builders are on the West coast and riding season is about here so I am not going that route right now.
    So,I ordered a Sargent heated front seat.
    A few years ago I had a heated Sargent on a BMW GS and loved it.
    I could ride all day on that seat without any discomfort to speak of.
    Hopefully it arrives soon.

Running high speed expressway I noticed more high frequency vibrations in the handlebar grips than I am willing to accept,so I have a plan for that also.
    A pair of Bmw grips were picked up from the local dealer.These are the non heated open end ones with concentric groves that were common on most models before the 1200 series.
    These are known to make a big difference on the ST.
    Along with these I ordered a set of Symtec Heat Demon heated wraps to go under them.
    And to make sure the vibs are handled to the best of my ability I called up Ricor and talked to Don and ordered up a set of Vibranators to replace the factory bar end set up.(Inmates get a 20% discount by the way.)I have these in my KLR and feel they help alot.

While waiting for everything to arrive I have started setting up the electrical farkles and figuring out the J&M audio system along with fitting speakers in my helmets.

[​IMG]

The ST is known to be limited on tank bag choices due to the handlebars hitting them on turns.
    Well it turns out my small Wolfman Enduro bag fits perfect !!!

While out the other day I also topped the fuel and checked the fuel mileage from the last 217 miles and averaged 45 MPG.
    I am happy with that considering the cold weather and most of that was freeway with some high speed.

The bike also came with Audio Vox electronic cruise which for whatever reason isn't working right now.
    It's there so eventually I will diagnose it and fix it,but it's not on my priority list as I am getting along well with my Cramp buster and Omni - Cruise lever bought from an inmate in venders.
    Next winter during a major service I will dig into it while I have all the bodywork removed.

The low beam was WAY too low.
    Even adjusting it all the way up with the electric adjustment it was still too low.
    So I put the electric adjustment in the middle and then cranked it up mechanically with the knob where I still feel it won't interfere with cages.
    And I can trim it up or down with the electric motor on the fly.

Slowly but surely I am getting the ST sorted so it makes one fine Day Tripper.
  5. STinner

STinner any direction will do

Oddometer:
    I knew true ST went to a good home. I'm the proud owner of a Direct Lift motorcycle lift w/side extensions so the work on the 'wing will be easier. It still baffles me why the cruise doesn't work. its probably something silly. Jeff, you look good riding the ST. Will be waiting for future installments.

Dave
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave.
    I will do my best to post up some interesting stuff and cool pictures throughout the year so you can still enjoy the ST.
    And don't worry,the ST will be well cared for,as I have a HANDY brand motorcycle lift in the garage.Top notch treatment for the ST.:wink:
  7. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best motorcycle engine ever, I love mine
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The parts are starting to arrive along with the Sargent heated seat today.
    As soon as I pull the seat out of the box I am impressed.
    Nice and wide.

[​IMG]

Disregard the weird lines on the seat in the pictures,that happened in Photobucket somehow.

The stock seat is only about 12 " across of usable support area because the sides of the seat taper away so much and the stock seat is actually convexed instead of flat or dished.

The Sargent is about 15 and a 1/2 " across of usable support,and it is flat with a very subtle dish in it.
    It is also nice and firm.

[​IMG]

Now to get it on the bike and test it out.
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only a couple short test rides but I can tell this seat is going to work for me.
    I can keep both the front and rear adjustments in the middle instead of putting the front in the high which is necessary for me on the stock seat.

Another thing I like is being able to sit in 3 usable areas of the seat.
    You can sit centered on the seat or hug the tank or slide back of center,all of which are flat and supportive.

Now I just have to finish up the wiring for the heated seat controller and heated grips and I can head out to the MOONSHINE LUNCH RUN Saturday morning !!!
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    MOONSHINE LUNCH RUN 2014

Not knowing if the prior owner ever took the ST to Moonshine, I figured it only fitting to properly bond on the first big ride enroute to the notorious MOONSHINE LUNCH RUN in memory of Terry Hammond who was a ST owner.

Richard Buber (MTF and IBA member) is now the keeper of Terry's bike named Relentless and it has over 100k on it now.

We left Detroit Saturday morning heading into the horrendous Southwesterly winds most of the day,but at least it was warm and dry.

Just our fuel mileage suffered ,and the occasional pucker factor when the wind almost put you in another lane !!

4 of us rode together.

Gassguzzler and Big Truck Guy on their 1200 GSA's, my couzin Will Smith on his 1500 wing I sold him a few years back and myself on the ST1300.

We rode 23 down through Toledo, Ohio and took 24 to Fort Wayne, Indiana and then I-69 to Indianapolis.

Rolling into Indianapolis.

[​IMG]

Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis Colts).

You have to excuse my finger in the picture.I have yet to master this shooting on the fly business.

[​IMG]

Selfie

[​IMG]

After a few too many fuel stops due to Couzin Will's thirsty 1500 wing, we crossed into Illinois and rode out into the farmland to MOONSHINE.

The bikes were lined up for a mile down all the country roads in every direction.

I heard a couple thousand bikes made it out for the event.

[​IMG]

Hey look. Theres BIG DOG ,on the right. (AKA- Mark Sampson)

[​IMG]

Ahhh, theres the Moonshine general store and the moonburgers. I better get over there as the line goes way back down a little gravel road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But first, I am going to go get some of this Amish pie and Ice cream to hold me over while in the burger line.

Note the 2 Amish men back by the woodline with the bucket. I'm pretty sure they are making the ice cream.

[​IMG]

I had the Raspberry pie. It was ok - but too sweet and not tart enough for my liking.

Standing in the Moonburger line.

This burger had better be good - and we are going to make it a double cheese !!!

[​IMG]

More to come.....
    DuaKembara likes this.
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    ...Getting closer

[​IMG]

Finally made it inside.Its like a time warp.Really old fashioned.It would be cool to come here on a normal day without the crowd and experience a totally different layed back feel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got it !!!
    A double cheese Moonburger.
    Not sure if I was just real hungry, but this burger was delicious.
    I did not even put anything on it.

[​IMG]

In this picture you can see the population sign well.Population 2.

[​IMG]

On each side of this picture you can see the red Pacific Coast 800's.
    The one on the right had a fuel cell and an Iron Butt backer plate and if I remember correctly a Minnesota plate.
    Maybe affiliated with them Team Strange guys up North ??

[​IMG]

And an interesting KLR with huge side panniers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come ....
    DuaKembara likes this.
  12. hwunger

hwunger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow you made it to Moonshine !

this gathering usually has a good helping of ST's .... still the case ?

thanks for posting !
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    We arrived in Moonshine in the afternoon,and most of the ST's were gone but I saw many on the road on the way in.

Yeah,I was happy to finally make it to Moonshine.
    I have been meaning to go for years.
    The recent ST acquisition and favorable weather motivated me this year.
    Dooga likes this.
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    After leaving Moonshine we rode into Casey to locate the High school where the firefighters were going to put on the chili dinner later on.
    On the way there I missed a turn and had to take a offroad detour to get back on track.
    Oh well,it made the GSA guys happy.:wink:

[​IMG]

It was one thing running the ST down dirt and gravel,but trying to do it one handed and take pictures behind me was another.But I managed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here comes Couzin Will in the back on his big 1500 wing.
    [​IMG]

We arrived in Casey a couple of hours before the dinner and there was not any riders hanging around ,so we decided to skip the supper and just head to Effingham,Illinois where we had a couple of rooms at the Quality Inn reserved.

We got lucky and had an open parking spot right outside the window of our room.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But then we rode over to the Lonestar for dinner and lost them.

More to come....
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    After a minimal complimentary motel breakfast and coffee we hit the road running backroads across Illinois and Indiana.
    It was a treat waking up to 62 degree weather first thing in the morning.

[​IMG]

Along the way we stopped for a break along some woods and found a deer head skeleton.
    You can see it on Couzin Will's front fender.
    I told him it would make a nice fender ornament.
    [​IMG]

We stopped in Heltonville,Indiana for a fuel stop and leave it to Gassguzzler poking around in the back of the store to find a lady making up a big bowl of ground bologne,pickles,cheese and mayo spread.
    She pulled a loaf of bread off the shelf and made us a couple.
    She said they sell tons of the stuff there.
    I have not had this stuff since the 70's in Ohio when I was a kid.
    Not that it is some gourmet meal,but it was a cool blast from the past.
    [​IMG]

Along the way East were many nice fast twisty roads including this one at the edge of Hoosier National forest.
    [​IMG]

In Seymour,Indiana we picked up Highway 50 (The lonliest Highway) and followed it onto the bypass around Cincinatti,Ohio which dumped us out onto I-75 North.
    For the first time of the trip we were not fighting wind and gusts and happily let the southerly wind push us all the way back to Detroit all the while enjoying marvelous fuel mileage numbers.
    It did get hot,we saw 83 degrees,considering the nasty Northern winter that we just experienced.We still need to acclimatize.
    The 2 day trip ended well, with a little over 1,000 miles ridden and no problems.
    Moonshine Lunch Run is officially in the books.
    I can't wait till the next ST outing !!!
    manx16 likes this.
  16. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm glad i decided to hit the bricks ( and the dirt too :) ) with you couz. i was going back and forth about going and it really was a last minute decission
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Yeah,it did turn out to be an enjoyable ride.
    But,the Lake Superior 1000 in June is going to be better !!!
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The Vibranators arrived the other day,so its time to get them installed.

The little puller tool on the bottom is used to pull the factory Honda dampener out of the bar ends and the puller is supplied with the kit.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the comparison of the factory unit vs. the Ricor Vibranator.

[​IMG]

Installation is simple.The most difficult part is removing the factory unit and the supplied puller makes that a breeze.
    The new bar ends accompanied by the BMW grips make for a neat package.

[​IMG]

This is how I have my throttle side configured.
    With the Omni - Cruise and Throttle rocker,and these can transfer to any bike.

[​IMG]
  19. tmills

tmills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ST 1300 looks great I ride an ST 1100 they are great bikes [​IMG]

Sent from my SGH-I957M using Tapatalk
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks,The ST1100 is still an effective Mile Eater also.
    I had a ST1100 years ago for a short time and was impressed.Electric Smooooth.