Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 12:07 AM   #46
FRD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I have had 3 diesel pick ups. a 90 GMC 6.2, a 95 Dodge Cummins, and a 2003 Dodge Cummins. My dad still has an 83 Chevy 6.2 with over 300k miles on it.

Chevy 6.2's don't have much power, only 165 hp, and wont pull much. They are reliable and get 20+ mpg running empty. My 90 and Dad's 83 both get 20+ mpg day in/day out when running empty. they are LOUD and don't like to run fast. 60 to 65 was comfortable with 3.73 rears. Much over that sucked, They both get really loud.

95 Dodge cummins 5 speed. I bought it used with around 50k miles. Sold it with around 150k miles. Was a fun truck. Got great mileage, 20+ mpg, for a 4x4 truck. Was a 5 speed. Manuals get better mileage than automatics. Handled well, quick enough. I got rid of it because it was starting to have problems not related to the diesel. Pulled well.

2003 Dodge cummins 5 speed. I bought it used with 120k miles. It has way more power and is quieter than the 95 that I had. Fuel mileage is worse, 18 mpg vs. over 20 on the 95. Pulls great. I just really don't like the truck. I wish I would have bought a nice truck in the 95 to 02 range. Can't really explain it.

I have a friend with an 05 Dodge cummins automatic. I don't really like it at all. Mileage sucks. The auto shifts weird. Not quiet.

If I was looking for a diesel for $12K I would look for a 1st or 2nd gen. Dodge with a manual. Really, the advice to buy a gas engine truck is right. When you consider the cost of fuel you have to drive the diesel a lot of miles to break even.

That's all I have.
FRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #47
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
I went through the same thing last year, looking for a diesel under 12k in Colorado. I really needed a crew cab which closed off most of the market for that price range and I had to look for several months to find a good truck. I got a pretty clean 2001 f250 larriat crew cab short bed, matching topper, lots of engine mods with 230k, however it had the engine replaced under warranty by ford at 110k and a rebuilt tranny at 160ish. It by no means was perfect, but a really nice truck for my price range.

I am using the truck primarily to pull a 10k lb Nash travel trailer. I will echo what others have said as this was my first diesel experience......If the truck will not be used to tow, or tow very much, get a gasser. The maintenance on the diesel is stupid expensive. $100 oil changes, $150 tranny changes (23qts of fluid), 2 big batteries, and on and on just for normal maintenance. Add in anything else and the price goes up drastically. I have easily spent over $1500 in general maintenance on the truck since I got it. I am praying the tranny holds together That is my biggest bitch about this truck is the absolute shit (let me emphasize SHITTTT) 4r100 auto tranny. Not only is it the fear of it blowing up, but I have never driven a vehicle with such awful gear spreads that becomes very annoying and kills performance when towing. Just as a side note, if I had to do it again I would get a 6.0, spend the money to fix the engine, and have a good 5 speed tranny in a nice truck platform.

For gas mileage I was getting about 15 hwy and 8-10 towing. Using a tuner on the 7.3 really gives a bump in performance and with the DP tuner (a must in my opinion, but add in another $3-500) I get 18 hwy and about 10-12 towing in the mountains.

All things considered I love the truck and there is something to be said for having a heavy duty PU over a 1/2 ton. I actually feel like I am driving a durable truck and not a glorified car.

Have your son in law add up the numbers for maintenance items, cost of fuel, and the price of comparable diesel vs gas trucks and I bet it would be obvious what is cheaper and a better deal.

However, just like with a lot of the motorcycles we have, particle is not always the #1 consideration
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #48
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,200
In the total irony department I just found out that I will likely not be plowing this winter. Good thing I found out this morning as I was about to pull the trigger on the used V.

Sadly this makes the W250 kinda redundant. I no longer tow, won't be plowing and without a real reason to own it... Watch the FM for details.

On the other hand perhaps I should be looking for a used Toy Hauler.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #49
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
You sell that truck, RB, and you're gonna' regret it.

I have a great truck, but still regret the sell of my '01 Dodge 3500 4X4.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #50
bmw318tech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Mileage on the new DPF/EGR diesels is shit...all of 'em. I've driven 'em all, and owned two of 'em. Luckily, for the young man mentioned in the OP's first post, you can't even test drive one, for $12K.

I certainly don't wanna' get this thread pushed into CS&M, but...

Sometimes I wonder if we didn't bring this stuff on ourselves. The diesel "Arms Race", that has taken-off since the early 2000's, probably pushed emissions through the roof.

I'll be the first to say that the Nazi tree-huggers really screwed-up one of the most efficient inventions of the 20th Century. And, despite my aversion to conspiracy theories, I oftentimes wonder if all this DPF/EGR/DEF nonsense isn't really a way to kill the diesel motor. Afterall, look at how many stories you hear of certain guys/companies "going back to gas".

However, on the flip-side, I also wonder how much soot/NOx a modern 235hp/460ft-lbs engine, like my ol' 2001 VP44-pumped Cummins, would belch-out. I would bet it's a lot less than a 385/850 motor. I would also bet that the former would get a helluva' lot better fuel mileage.

YMMV...

Seeing big trucks belching coal up hills going 35mph (old mechanical injected dump trucks seem to be the worse), seeing bro dozers roll coal on the the joggers does not help the cause. People call the their congressman and bitch. Gassers went through an emissions crisis in the 70's and 80's and didn't come out until fuel injection was widespread. If joe blow needs to buy a 1k cat to pass emissions while a bro dozer blankets him in coal people get pissed.

Diesel emissions are funny. Having more particulates reduces the Nox since the unburned fuel (particulates) helps lower combustion temperatures. You can have one but not both. You could have what appears to be a clean diesel but the Nox would be through the roof.
bmw318tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #51
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,078
I talked to a successful farmer once who was more into the dollars and cents end of it than the fun-to-drive part. He told that he'd never own a pickup with a diesel and his reasoning was that "a gas motor will wear the truck down". I suppose he was correct in that regard.

It's still fun to roll some coal every now and then though

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
...but I am thinking gas engines are also going 300,000 + miles, and the only part of the truck that is diesel is the motor. Having a diesel doesn't mean your tranny will last longer, etc. I also noticed that several of the ads I saw had a long list of items that had been repaired or replaced.

thanks
I put the +80 Economy tune from DP on my dad's late '99 F350 dually. It didn't do diddly-squat for the mileage. It sure did make it move down the road though. Putting the stock tune back in now makes it feel like there is a loaded goose neck on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post

For gas mileage I was getting about 15 hwy and 8-10 towing. Using a tuner on the 7.3 really gives a bump in performance and with the DP tuner (a must in my opinion, but add in another $3-500) I get 18 hwy and about 10-12 towing in the mountains.

Carlo Muro screwed with this post 07-27-2014 at 07:11 AM
Carlo Muro is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: