First Dirt Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by carockwell, Mar 13, 2011.

1. carockwell

carockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All this talk of adventure riding has me looking at a lot of places I would like to go, but not on a 600 lb machine. With no dirt experience whatsoever I am wondering what a good bike would be. So far the Yamaha TW200 looks to be the top choice. I don't know what people mean when they say this bike is underpowered. Does this mean I can't get the bike up steep hills? Would I be better off buying a more conventional 250 cc enduro style bike?
  2. Coastie3202

Coastie3202 King of MY Mountain

Oddometer:
    I think a lot of it depends on what you want to do, and your size. If you are tall guy, i.e. over 5'8" then the TW may not be too comfortable for you. If you are going to ride in the sand a lot, the TW may not be too stable, no matter how fast you go. The fat tires tend to float too much on sand. I think you may want to look at something the size of a 250 or 300, and if you can get one that is a dual sport you will be that much happier. My advice, research, research, research, then buy.
  3. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll second Coastie's advice and add that there are a lot of great older dirt bikes or even old style dual sports that could fit the bill. A better four stroke 200 for the dirt and casual riding is a Honda XR 200 and if you could find it, a Suzuki DR 200. A Kawasaki KDX 200 is a great two stroke for the beginning trail rider.
    The terrain and your size are the big factors for dirt bike choices too. In the east where tighter trails and smaller hills define the riding a smaller bike is much easier to learn on. In the wider open west a 250 will do better for sand and big hills.
    For a beginner, less power is better. The above mentioned bikes are quite competent to get you started.
    The TW is even heavier, less power, and fat tires to boot.
  4. mokosai

mokosai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not much of an expert, but I picked up my first dirt bike/dual sport last year and I've been really happy with it. It's an '07 KLX250S. I got it with less than 500 miles on it. It's been a really great bike, and although it's no rocket, it's got more power than a TW200 and a heck of a lot better suspension. It's a pretty tall bike, but it fits me (5'11") really well.

This summer I plan to sell it and buy something else as a replacement. The only thing I don't really like about it is it having a carb: we took it out to Colorado and I was too lazy to rejet for higher altitude. Result: way down on power.

For me, the problems with low power are: A) it might be hard to keep up on 50MPH+ roads on a TW200 and B) although you'll be able to climb most steeper hills, you'll need to be perfect to do it! With a little more power, your bike will be more forgiving about choosing an imperfect line and losing momentum on your way up. With a low power bike, hitting even a small rock going up hill could be enough to stop you.
  5. carockwell

Oddometer:
    I am 6 feet tall and long legged living in Southern California. My biggest factor in choosing a dirt bike would be the ability to go more places, ie more single track, steeper trails, sand, etc. So what you are telling me is that the TW200 is not as good at this as a more conventional dual sport bike like a Yamaha WR250?
  6. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes! stay away from the TW if you're that big.

6' tall- a Husky 310, any of the newer WR's, TE's, KLX's if you want something that is street taggable. the 450's are a bit of a handful, easy to get into trouble. A KTM 400 is a good size for you as well, not too powerful, good manners, a lot of grunt. Any way you try out a 250 4 stroke?
  7. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had 20 years of street riding under my belt before buying a DRZ400. I had a lot of fun, but it would have been easier to learn to ride offroad on something smaller. I'm 6' tall and the DRZ was too tall and heavy for getting started. I have a KLX250S now and it's worlds more fun. Lighter, shorter, and more confidence inspiring. Yesterday I had it out in some mud that would have left me gasping on the DRZ, but with the KLX it was a blast. If you're otherwise an experienced rider, I think the TW200 will be pretty underwhelming. You wouldn't outgrow a KLX250 or WR250 as fast.
  8. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' too, and I've got pure two stroke dirt bikes, and the easiest bike to ride in the shop is actually my XT350. Its a little to short in the frame department for me, but I do absolutely love thing.
    I think you could toss it to anyone that can ride a bike, and they could ride it over mountains, single track, you name it as long as your not going to race it. Cause the suspension sucks and will bottom out in a hurry when pushed to the limits trying to keep up with a DRZ400.

Check out the massive XT350 thread here in the thumpers.
  9. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A TW 200 isn't a dirtbike its a childs toy. Are they fun? Hell yes, ridden at a careful pace you can take them through some serious quagmire but everything about them is light duty.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    How would you get the bike to the fun places to explore?
    Ride it there?
    From what I understand, in California you often need at least a 350 (DR350) to manage the high speed runs to the remote places.

Weight is no fun in the dirt, especially when it falls on top of you or gets stuck in a mud pit, so its a real tradeoff, power/speed/weight/reliability.

The wr250 seems to do well for a 250, dr350, xt350, drz400, seem popular.

The 650's are great, but heavy.
  11. carockwell

Oddometer:
    No way I am riding the big bikes off road. I read about a guy on the boards here who tows a 250 dirt bike behind his 1500 Goldwing. Now THAT is the way to handle the California highways and go dirt biking.