Back in Black

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Geek, Feb 21, 2011.

1. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    You poor, poor thing, having to endure that awful Colorado existence... :D
  2. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Ah man I love that shot. I swear I can feel the sun on my shoulders.
  3. rnoliver

rnoliver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First off, love the thread- read it all last night (stayed up way too late). Thanks for putting your HDB guards review in the thread as well. I have one question. I see you have a Kaoko throttle lock with your HDB brush guards. Did you buy the one for the stock 990 or the one for use with Barkbuster guards? I'm thinking the latter, but wanted to double check. Thanks again for all the posts- hopefully we'll run into each other- (Well, not literally...)
  4. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geek, You are an electronics meister, I've really pick up a lot from your threads, here and elsewhere, on setting up all kinds of electronic and other "accessorizing" for the big KTM. My bike is a 2012 990 Adv R, my concern regards it's capability of handling a combination of additional electronic accessories mainly due to it's gen output. You've installed the voltmeter, obviously to keep track of what's going on with the power re your battery, my question regards just how much can the bike handle. Can one run aux lights, and heated grips, and heated clothing, and GPS, and cellphone/I-pod power and still be within the capability of this bike? I realize a lot depends on the draw of each, but they are fairly standard. How do you figure where the limit s/b other than trial an error?

5. CamelBill

CamelBill Ride It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have also learned a tremendous amount from Geek's posts (Thanks Geek!), and followed his lead and installed a voltmeter on my 950. Was out on it all day yesterday, and i can tell you tha the heated gear and grips do dry alot of power. Assuming your regulator is in good shape (mine is new), my experience is about 14.3 volts with nothing on. Grips draw it down to about 13.7, grips and heated vest down a couple more tenths. I avoid using my aux lights when I have two heat draws on, because they can suck a couple more volts. I don't like to drop below 13.5 volts for long, as I have a Shorei battery, and they need a pretty good charge.

I'm sure Geek can (and likely will) provide a much more technical answer, but I thought I'd share my personal experience FWIW . . .
  6. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Camel, for relaying your experience, I find it quite helpful. Would you mind providing the wattage rating and brand/model of your heated gear?

Looking forward to Geeks input as well on this subject.

elron
  7. CamelBill

CamelBill Ride It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the TourMaster Synergy heated vest with collar, no other heated gear. Per their website, it takes 51.6 watts and 4.3 Amps.

My grips are Warm-n-Safe with an in-dash variable controller.

It all works out to be sufficient heat for down to freezing temps, with First Gear jacket and pants, liners
  8. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    inspired by your idea I did this a while ago:
    [​IMG]
  9. gbowes

gbowes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Geek, I was wondering about the dash board on the handle bar mounts. what do all the switches do and where did you get it. I haven't seen one of those before.
    Thanks
    Greg

10. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    i think you're looking for stuff from Highway Dirt Bikes, of which Geek has the whole kit - Handguards / Mirrors, Top Clamp and Perch Switches
  11. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geek,
    Getting some winter maintenance out of the way and really want to do this - do you remember what size stud you used for this to get it "just right"?

Thanks
    M
  12. Douf

Douf Limey Bitch

Oddometer:
  13. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I know it's been a while since you posted in this thread, but I wanted to thank you for it. Some really good info here. Between you and Pyn, just about everything is covered.

So what exhaust did you end up with? :hide