2012 adv case locking meganism replacement

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 2712, Dec 25, 2012.

1. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Because of numerous drops the locking meganisms that lock the adv case onto the adv case rack on my 2009 gs adv have some play. The boxes rattle on the rack and im scared that it will get worse over time.

Ive 50K miles on my bike at the moment and i am considering to replace the locks of possibel.

Now i already got one of to check it out and i was browsing the web to find the locking meganisms (i know i can just swap the inner lock from a how to here on adv rider) but i cant find them.

Does any of the inmates know where i can buy the locks online or do ive to contact my dealer?

Thank you in advance and happy hollydays.
  2. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    And...your ALTERNATIVE source is what? (none) BMW makes it. (exclusively) You need it.

Welcome to the 'BMW' game. Open thy wallet.:cry

Some dealers offer discounts to local BMW club members.
    Some dealers offer discounts.

There are threads here.. SEARCH ...discount internet IIRC.
    here it is...
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840077

Thanks again for supporting WORLD WIDE COMMERCE.:huh

"Awesome site that sells every last bit you need."
    Your LOCAL Belgium dealer should carry, as well.
  4. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
  5. seniorasi

seniorasi Banned

Oddometer:
    Can't tell for certain without seeing the bike but is the play in the lock or is it in the pannier rack.. If the bike has been dropped numerous times the rack may be bent a bit...just bend it back if the play is between the rack and the lock.
  6. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its in the lock, when locked, it has like 1 mm play, i can wiggle the meganism... if you add the leverage over a foot of pannier, if i rock the panniers, that 1mm result in a 5 mm play:evil

I guess he has been napping a few times to much... dents you can bash out, scratches you can repaint but that lockingmeganism has to be replaced.
  7. seniorasi

seniorasi Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorry mate...
  8. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

ive to ask, if you have the panniers of your bike and you lock the lock that grips to the pannier rack. and then you take the metal part and try to wiggle with it.

If you do so with an ok pair of panniers, the lock should not wiggle for like 1 mm, it should be lockt firmly with no play right?:ear
  9. seniorasi

seniorasi Banned

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 GSA with BMW Aluminum panniers and top box. Mine are rock solid, now that I've tightened the hardware that attaches the racks to the bike anyway. Long story short: It takes some effort to cause the latch to go over center. When reinstalling the luggage I slide it all the way forward and then close the latch so the hook seats in it's resting place, there is a definite "over center" feel when the latch closes. It you so desire: remove the luggage, close and latch on the locking mechanism and test it for security. If it still has the 1 mm play you describe it is obviously the latch. I would think Parts should be available for repair but maybe a new latch is your best bet. I assume you can purchase new ones from the dealer and have them keyed to your ignition in one shot. Best of luck!
  10. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before you buy a new latch, try loooking at the pin that the lock engages and see if you can adjust it with a drift pin and tap it with a hammer. On the one I have, it was knocked off a little with a zero airspeed fall-over that made it loose.:huh