690 Duke AND a 690 Enduro?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by r'elise me, Oct 16, 2013.

1. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should I get a new Duke 690?

I've got a 690E which handles great in the twisties with the stock wheels and MT21s. It's fun, but it's no motard. I also use this bike for dirt adventures pretty often and I'm too lazy to swap to motard wheels all the time (been there, sold those).

I've got the 450EXC that I could motard, but I'd be changing oil all the time due to all the miles. A 250 lbs street motard is hard to pass up though. not sure if it would handle right though (the 690 with motard wheels doesn't really imo)

I've got three bikes and I'm feeling a little OCD getting a 4th. Plus it's one more headache come service time. Should I stop obsessing and be happy with the enduro or should I pack a Duke into the stable?

Why am I asking you all to be the voice of reason?! I already know your answer! :rofl:ear

BTW - two of the local shops offered to sell 2013s for $9200 OTD (9.75% tax, licence, shipping, assembly)
  2. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I owned both at the same time, and the 690 duke first. For smooth, very twisty pavement it was awesome. For anything else I found it very uninspiring. The motor was in a very different state of tune from the enduro, much less low end. I was also always fighting for more rear end grip due to it's geometry. The stock seat was by far the worst seat I've ever had on any bike. Corbin used my bike as a model for their duke seat, and it wasn't much better.

When I bought the enduro, I stopped riding the Duke altogether, and sold it 6 months later. I did ride it to the Sierra's a couple times and it was absolutely the perfect bike there, but wasn't a good daily bike for any roads with pot holes, suspension was too limited and stiff, and that's after I upgraded springs, which were near impossible to find.

At 6' I also found the bike to be too short, and the gearing ratio's were lousy in 1-3 gears. Maybe they have changed it for the latest gen, mine was an 08.

I'm doing mostly offroad these days, but am also trying to decide whether to motard the 690 or 500, and will do that long before getting another street only small bike.

All that being said, more options are almost always better, so you can't go wrong either way.
  3. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh the voice of reason! Thanks. Exactly what the dr ordered. We r even the same height! I've heard the new duke is a far cry from the rough and rumble 08 that you had. Even that it's a decent sport tourer for the wild at heart given the suspension settings, vibration damping and motor upgrades. The cockpit feels downright toury but still narrow enough to play hard. Wondering if someone can offer some inside reporting on the new duke. As you can see, I don't trust the press.
  4. Jerome

Jerome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. I have a 640 Adv and spent weeks debating between an SMCR and a Duke and am so happy I chose an SMC:

- Big suspension movement (Duke crunches into potholes)
    - Can be converted to an Enduro (but easier the other way round). You''re stuck with a Duke.
    - High seat height for better visibility and handlebars not hitting cage mirrors when filtering. Duke's too low and feels like you're sitting in not on it.
    - Loads more tuning options - Tune/Vortex etc. (I've Vortexed mine and wow) Duke's twin plug engine is too complex.
    - Loads more after market options/tweaks/stuff etc - KTMTwins, Zen, Rally Raid, Quest etc. Duke's very limited in comparison.

However, it depends what you want it for, but perhaps given your 'tard tendencies in the twisties ......?
  5. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suppose now I have to show up and tell you the opposite! I just got the 13 duke 4 months back and its all I wanted it to be. But,, my purpose is really defined. Its a street bike that is really fun..and can do gravel real well and the seat is as good as anything ive rode. great mileage, and for me almost perfect ergo's. amazing brakes, really light relatively. etc,,,
    Since I wanted a street bike, a SM and a short distance adventure/gravel bike the duke fits everything. If I had a GS 800 a SMR/SMC and a town bike I wouldn't touch the Duke though.
    I think if you had a duke it would displace other bikes and make you wan't to consolidate then after 2 years of fun with the duke you would go back to a previous plan. I think it will overlap too much of your current machines.

From an adventure perspective the duke is short which is great for quick getting around but that suspension blows through pretty quick. Not really adventure suspension but not adventure weight either. Ground clearance is a real problem on the duke too.
  6. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not get a set of SMC wheels for your Enduro? Best of both worlds, no?