73 rd350

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Bravo73RD, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bravo73RD

Bravo73RD Bravo73RD

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    Wanted to start by saying hello and I am happy to have joined ADVrider. I am new to the forum/ thread world so please bare with me as I am learning as I go.
    I have just purchased a few (four) 1973 RD 350's that need a lot of work. I purchased these bikes for a very fair price and I most certainly saw the beauty and potential of these bikes. I have four of these bikes and I plan on building 2 of them... maybe 3 depending on what I have left from these part bikes. . (Note: I am not trying to build them all at once) I did not have to much knowledge of these bikes when I first bought them and was a bit weary of getting into a 2 stroke bike. I have done a lot of reading and research on these bikes and since I am now very excited to get started. I have also learned these are desirable bikes. I plan on doing a complete rebuild and cafe mod. I've done some restoring/mods in the past but, have never gone as in depth as I plan on with these lovely ladies. I will post photos of all the bikes as soon as I can. I have a lot of spare parts (heads, pistons, engines and carbs), and I am sure I will still be opening my wallet to more parts new and used as I move forward. I pretty sure I have everything I need to start, I am just in the middle of organizing my garage so I can get started.
    I was wondering if anyone has any advice or input as I embark in my journey on bringing this classic beauty to life. :evil

Thank You in advance
  2. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    This place is a great resource, but for RD specific stuff, you should check out 2strokeworld.com . If it weren't for the guys on there, I would have thrown my RD350 off a cliff in frustration. There's a lot of guys on there who have been obsessed with RD's since they were new. I had the advantage when I got my RD that it was running, albeit shitty. You're definitely going to be spending some money, but it will be fun. The bikes are super fun, way beyond their actual abilities. Every time you fill it up with gas(often!) people will come up to you and tell you grandiose stories of how they had one that would do wheelies in 5th gear, etc. I've had a lot of fun with mine.
  3. Bravo73RD

Bravo73RD Bravo73RD

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thank you for your reply and advise. Do you still have your RD or do you have any photos?
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

RUN!!! :lol3
  5. spo123

spo123 Man About Town

Oddometer:
    Is that you Navin? NAVIN JOHNSON...
    Have you been working on your "natural rythem"? I can't even get the spelling correct...

LOVE RD and R5's......Just began some sorting on mine....after 6 years
  6. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I do still have my RD, but I don't have any pictures to post right now. I plan to sell it in the spring, but I know I'll regret it. I've put a lot into it. It's built to the hills, engine-wise. Ported cylinders, pipes, squished heads, MZB ignition, and a bunch of other stuff. Last summer I had it and my BMW /5 plated and insured, and it was all I could handle and justify. Currently I'm building up an old Moto Guzzi, and I'll NEVER let go of the BMW, so something's got to give. I figure, the RD is the one that I'd most likely kill or maim myself on, so I guess it is the one to go. I swear, I just CANT get on it without going 100mph. I tell myself at the beginning of the ride that I'm going to take it easy, but before you know it, I'm on the pipe and I can't stop. With the ported cylinders, it's kind of weak below 7K, but kept above that, it just pulls and pulls and before you know it you're turning 9500 in fifth with another gear to go. What a blast!
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

RDs were a big part of my youth, a DS-6 was too, what a turd! I found my special purpose! You gotta know the difference between shit and shinola! :lol3

Not talking about the OPs project, a lil inside Jerk humor is all!
  8. spo123

spo123 Man About Town

Oddometer:
    Oh, NAVIN! It IS you. :freaky
    Glad to hear.
    Please keep up with the bike information.
    Have fun.