Loctite

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lightsorce, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I didn't read the whole thread, too lazy.
    I have used regular J-B on engine side covers, no problem. Is there anything you can recommend for my on road repair kit that will seal a damaged engine cover that doesn't take 24 + hours to set?
    Thanks Dirty
  2. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Metal Magic Steel Stick pn. 98853. I travel with half a stick and a few extra pairs of purple rubber gloves.

This stuff also kept my buddies boat from sinking at the mouth of the MS river years back when he ran it up on a rock jetty and holed it so bad the bilge pump couldn't keep up.

If you haven't already guessed it-I'mma believer.

Dirty
  3. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have loose threads on a shock reservoir schrader valve - the thread clearance of the shrader external threads to the reservoir body is terrible - i tried teflon tape and it leaks down over time... you have a thread sealant that might work for loose fit threads? 577 maybe?
  4. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    i have motor mount bolts that loosen overtime. i was hoping to find a mechanical lock that works, but nothing seems to work..so maybe a chemical product will work... i have tried nord-lock and they still loosen overtime. i tried blue loctite, safety wire, double jam nut, nylock, split lock washers, and toothed lock washer (din 6797) and they still loosen. i have to retorque every 8 hours or so. is there a anti-vibration product that works? i really do not want to use red loctite, as i can't torque check them at all ...not like i need to - you can feel/hear when they loosen up and prevailing torque goes way down... ... and a couple times a year i pull the motor...it's a small 2 stroke, it doesn't feel like it vibes that much, but it is constantly loosening the mounts....
  5. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    577, 567PST, 565, or 545 all would be just fine to use on this application.

We're dealing with small parts, so apply the product one thread back from the tip end of the threads on the schraeder valve, 360 degrees, smear it into the threads so that the thread trough if full and you see the crown of the threads on the schraeder valve so we don't run the risk of getting thread sealant into the shock internals.

Let it sit overnight and you'll be Ace!

Dirty
  6. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    all about the same price (567pst is a little more..) - so which one is best/whats the main differences?
  7. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    scratch that - mcmaster carries the .5ml bottle of 545 for under $2.00 - adding it to my next order. nice to have a single serving size!
  8. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Thanks Loctite for the racing help! never saw this thread but will keep an eye on it!
  9. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    A very good Loctite product that sticks things where most other things fail, is 480. A form of glue thats used to stick the studs into tyres fitted to ice race cars. Have succeeded in sticking rubber to plastic with it, and it seems to work on pretty much anything.
  10. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about your vibration issue with the 2 stroke. I have tried, with some success, to tailor fit the bolt/hole relationship. Having the bolt fit perfectly snug in the hole has helped stop the bolt from loosening.
    If you have the right sized reamer can you find a bolt slightly larger, then fit it with the reamer. Anyway, it worked on my old Triumph (not Henkley). The particular frequency of the vibration will have its own type of problem. That is to say; what works at one frequency may not work for another.
    Good luck.
  11. leonphelps

leonphelps TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer:
    @dirty_sanchez....

I am building an AR15 rifle and I'd like a recomendation for which loctite to use on the Gas Block screws. Most people say to use RockSet because it is good to 500 degrees. The forms say (I know, I know) that I want the equivalent of Loctite Blue but with temperature resistance to 500 degrees. The barrel gets pretty hot with sustained fire.....

Any help would be great. Thanks....
  12. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    no worky. i tried and it still leaked. i ended up redrilling and going the next size up (1/4npt)... fixed now. had to spend $20 for the tap and new shrader. oh well....
  13. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Some things are a dark science best left never to be fully understood.

Good to hear you have it sorted though.

Ride Safe.

Dirty
  14. GaThumper

GaThumper Road Less Traveled

Oddometer:
    Thumpin' in North GA - headin' for the Smokys
    There has been some discussion (again) over on the DR650 thread in Thumpers about the failure of countershaft seals and two Loctite products have been mentioned to improve retention of the replacement seal. Note: Suzuki has designed a retainer and installed on 2013 models. Anyone who has had a cs seal failure would probably be installing the retainer along with the new seal.

The two products that have been mentioned are 603 and 648. Would either of these products be preferable, or maybe something else would be recommended?

Thank You! :clap
  15. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    GAThump-On the LC4 thread last night we were just talking about a weeping sight glass on the stator side of the engine-a very similar application.

Here's what I responded:

The sight glass on my '07 weeped just a bit but never enough for me to do anything about it.

The rocker arm shafts where they exited the valve cover also were a place dust collected. A bead of 598 Black on the outside fixed this once and for all though.

From what I understand that thing is fitted from the backside of the stator cover. You have to remove the stator cover, lay it on the work bench and push out the glass.

I seem to remember the manual says to use a retaining compound as an adhesive to mount the glass. I'd come closer to smearing a bead of 518 or an oil safe RTV in the inner diameter (mating surface) of the sight glass hole which has been cleaned and degreased and dry before the replacement sight glass is gently pressed into place. I suppose any of the blue or red threadlockers would work as well though, but I'd use 518, 515, or 510 because of it's lubricity as the glass is pressed into place.

If you choose 518 Gasket Eliminator you have the luxury of time-you're not rushed to reassemble (it'll never cure until you mate your parts), if you choose Instant Gasket, 598 Black, or 592 Blue the clock starts as soon as you smear on that bead. You need to press that glass into place within 3 to 5 minutes before it starts to skin over.

This is yet another reason I like using Gasket Eliminators-I don't like to be rushed during reassembly. A rushed repair lends itself to a bad repair.
    ----------------

Hope this helps.

Shoot me a link to where the DR650 thread picks up the countershaft seal discussion and I'll jump in if you like.

Dirty
  16. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little clarification: the seal itself isn't failing, oil pressure is pushing it out of its boss. :beer
  17. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Post up a few descriptive photos of the issue if you could.

The cool thing with threadlockers, gasket eliminators, retaining compounds, etc, is that when they're used properly, they'll bond that seal in place and help prevent the thing from blowing out of it's position.

Dirty
  18. GaThumper

GaThumper Road Less Traveled

Oddometer:
    Thumpin' in North GA - headin' for the Smokys
    Thanks to ER70S-2 for the clarity, most of mine was lost sometime in the 70s!

Yes, there is a problem with the countershaft seal blowing out on the DR650s. We are documenting the best practice for re-installing the replacement seal and improving the retention of the replacement seal. Some owners will probably install the new OEM seal retainer to prevent catastrophic oil loss in the middle of nowhere.

If you want to see the latest discussion you can start at the bottom of this page and the following 4-5 pages.

Considering Loctite 603 or 648 to help the seal stay in place.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135295&page=5482

Thanks to ER70S-2 and emmbeedee for the photo!

Here's where the seal lives. I'll see if I can find a pic with the seal installed, but you get the idea I'm sure.

[​IMG]

From RamMan4x4 on drriders here are photos of the stock seal and the new retainer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl Mine too. :cry

My thanks to the fine gent whom took the photo.

[​IMG]
  20. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Guys-after looking over the way the seals are pressed in and the issues with them blowing out here's my take on the dealeo-

With the seal removed, you MUST clean and degrease the ID of the seal mating surface on the case half with a residue-free cleaner degreaser. We're not talking white lab coat clean, but take pains to give it a very good effort-contact cleaner, paper towel, Q-Tip...clean it right, whip it good.

I first mentioned using a threadlocker, but at second thought these products are designed to have strength in threaded assy's., and have a much lower shear strength than a retaining compound would have.

Threadlockers start off in the 2XX series, retaining compounds start off in the 6XX series.

Oil seals often have some sort of injection molding lubricant aka release agent on them which transfers to the part. Clean and degrease the new seal as well. If you want to increase the mechanical adhesion and make the seal fit a bit stronger scuff up the outside mating surface of the seal with a piece of 180 or 220 grit sand paper just enough to knock the shine off.

If you trust your skills you could do the same thing to the ID of the seal mating surface in the case.

Doing either will only make things better.

Now for the product application:

With a cheapie metal handle small Harbor Freight paint brush apply a thinnish coating of 603, 648, 638, or 680 on the ID of the mounting location in the case and swipe a real thin coating on the OD of the seal (thin enough to make the mating surface shiney again) and then quickly drive the seal into place.

Let it sit overnight with no oil in the engine if possible. If you don't have time to let it sit overnight, you'll need to do a light spray of 7649 Primer N (an anaerobic activator that forces the retaining compound to cure more quickly) on the seal lip before you press it into place.

Feel free to cut and paste this response into the DR650 Thread so the guys can look over my suggestion.

Dirty