Heated Grip Repair or Replace or?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by globalt38, Dec 12, 2013.

1. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle"

Oddometer:
    So - as I understand is not uncommon - my throttle side OEM heated grip has gone out (94 R100 GSPD). Did some research and have determined I have the following options more or less:

1. Remove the grip and find where the wire is broken, shorted, burnt, or whatever and repair by reconnecting, re-soldering etc.

2. In my research - It appears though that the OEM heated grips are not very efficient (per this thread) and since I would have to remove at least the throttle grip to repair another option would be to just replace the heating element alla products like at this link. which seem to be more efficient and less failure prone.

3. Or - I could do an even easier, cheaper DIY method placing the heating wire on top of the existing grips and covering it with shrink tube or a grip cover like described at this link.

So I'm asking for thoughts and input on the above - How difficult is repairing the OEM? Who has done it? Who has done option 2 and thoughts on it? What do you think of option 3?

I await your collective wisdom...:*sip*:gerg
  2. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    First check to obvious location to see if the break is where the wire enters the end of the handlebar... if so, solder back together.
  3. globalt38

Oddometer:
    Definitely Solo! Just to be clear - are you referring to the bar end where the wires attach to the heating element (which would be checked when grip is removed) or down where the wires enter the handlebars before I even have to worry about removing the grips?
  4. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Check the wires at the very outside of the bars, they run out of the grips through the end of the bars down toward the steering stem. When you twist the throttle, the wire may flex and break.

[​IMG]
  5. globalt38

Oddometer:
    Gotcha - what I thought - appreciate the pic! :beer
    More and more thinking though that I may just go ahead and replace the stock with symtec or similiar that does away with the whole resistor wire thing and hook up an adjustor knob for graduated heat anywhere from off to full instead of the full / half/ or off switch. Not sure yet but thinkin...:hmmmmm
  6. GCCR

GCCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. globalt38

Oddometer:
    Thanks GCCR - yeah saw that in my research which was one of the things that caused me to consider just replacing the heating elements...:huh

So - thinking what I'll probably do is pull the throttle grip - if it's just the wires at the bar end then I'll probably repair and put the grip back on. If it's more involved than that - I'll probably put the grip back on, order the symtec or similar kit and then replace.
  8. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    The only way to get the grip off without destroying the wires is to cut it and very carefully peel it off of the wires.

I would suggest cutting the end off of the grip to see if you can see the break in the wire. That or unplug the connections to the right side and first test for continuity to verify there is a break.
  9. globalt38

Oddometer:
    Figures it wouldn't be so simple :bluduh
  10. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    The foil heating elements as made by SYM that wrap around the handlebars work very well and are really cheap, one advantage is that you use them on earlier bikes such as my R90 without using the plug ugly later heated handlebar grips.
  11. globalt38

Oddometer:
    Until I wake up tomorrow - or I dick around and run out of time - or...:freaky

Short term - I'll cut the end of the throttle grip to see if it's the bar end wires - if so I'll repair so I have warm(er) hands for my trip to my 2nd cousin's place in western NC (Yeah - I know it's not the Great White North but mid 30's to mid 40's on a bike still means cold hands!:vardy). If it's not the bar end wires than I'm SOL until I get the SYMTEC units ordered - will be doing the "engage throttle lock and stick gloved hand on head for a minute" thing. (for any MSF instructors what I really meant was pull-over to a safe location when safely able to do so and then place gloved hand on head for a minute :deal)

Long term - I've already ordered some new grips and will sometime in the near future (very relative and dependant upon result of the short term path above) order the SYMTEC elements, cut the old grips off, remove OEM heating element etc. and install new elements and grip with a heat troller or similar adjustable knob controller :pot :wings