What Mods have you made to your Tiger 800XC Suspension?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MotoTex, Mar 5, 2013.

1. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Other that AV-Mech, have any of YFFs made suspension mods to your 800XC?

Suspension on the XC, though pretty darn good for OEM, could be worlds better. After riding the KTM 950ADV stock, then with a rebuilt/revalved fork, I know what "really good" can feel like.

Of course the 800XC isn't starting with quite the level of suspension found as OEM on the KTM, but what can be done to make it better?

There should be a way to make the existing 800XC suspension as smooth as butter on the small stuff, yet able to take a bigger hit with aplomb, and seldom bottom out. All without replacing the forks or shock.

Racetech doesn't yet list the XC in their spring or valves application guides. On the phone they indicate that they can "put together" a kit based on my weight and riding style that would include springs, valves on both sides and preset compression damping on one leg, and pre-set rebound damping on the other leg. Not sure, but it kinda sounded like I'd be the beta tester on this.

Pro Action hasn't even heard of the Tiger 800XC. (they did the forks on my KTM950)

A few other companies offer springs, but not valving.

There's bound to be someone out there doing the work or selling a kit to set up the springs, valving, etc. to get the action that Sasquatch Suspension (no longer in business) did for AV-Mech. The way he describes the changes to his suspension is what I would like to have.

I'd like to find someone who has done a few of these bikes, has the setup parameters for a number of weights and riding styles, and whom I would have some assurance would burden me with a bunch of repeated work and down time while getting it figured out.

Please post up what you have done. Who did it. Cost, reviews, etc.

Also, please, let's not make this a thread about whether or not the bike "needs" this. Frankly, for most owners it probably works well enough as is.

For those who would like to share their experiences, the thread might make a good place to compare notes.
  2. Chinookmark

Chinookmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    try this :D

[​IMG]
  4. Chinookmark

Chinookmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :drool:
  5. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    Have you tried it? Any info on improvements? Price?
  6. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    not really, since it was installed this winter i have not had good enough weather or timing to to give it a good go. however, this week it will be given a test run! :D
    price? contact your dealer or find it online. i believe it goes for around $1,200. i cant really speak of price. it was worked into my warranty claim with my stock suspension. (i blew it up...:evil)