KLIM Badlands Pro

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mrt10x, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    +1. You really should try on the jacket.

I have broad shoulders, long arms, and a narrow waist (6'3", 210 pounds, 44" chest, 36" waist) and the Badlands fits me very well.

Everyone is different, even when they are the same.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Yeah at 900.00 trying it on seems like a good idea,I have almost all KLIM gear for dirt/dual purpose riding and the size large Badlands was a little snug with a single fleece layer under it,Made it a little constricting.
    I bought a size large Valdez jacket off an inmate and it fits perfect with some room.
    KLIM is the best stuff on the market,its just a matter of getting what suits your use.
  3. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. This jacket has a very wide temperature range and is waterproof on the outer shell (a must for me). For those folks with different priorities a mesh jacket with different liners can work I just don't like the idea of the jacket getting soaked.

I have done a lot of touring in the Rockies with morning temperatures in the 30's and daytime temperature as high as 90 and I think this jacket would be very well suited for those conditions. I have not really found anything to dislike about this jacket other than the high price.
  4. vintagebob

vintagebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a R1200RT and I tour with the Klim Latitude suit (Sequoia & Oregon last year, Glacier/Yellowstone this year in Sep.). The Latitude is a good bit lighter in weight but does not have as many vents as the Badlands. I tried both on before deciding. I thought the extra weight would be fatiguing on a long trip and I also didn't think that I needed the chest protector and kidney belt that come on the Badlands.

I wear an LDComfort shirt under my Latitude jacket and wet the shirt down when it gets hot. The air flowing through the vents evaporates the water in the shirt and keeps you cool (at least out here in the west). I imagine this trick is less useful in 95% humidity.

I really like the two piece setup for touring (I use a one piece Roadcrafter for commuting) . My only complaint with the Latitude jacket is that it is difficult to get gaunlet style gloves under the sleeves. The big pockets are going to let me ditch the tankbag this year I think.
  5. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    Bob,
    Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at the Latitude as well - it seems that it might suit me better. Do you have the black or the grey version? I'm thinking that the black would pull in more heat. Is there any issue with the collar flapping around if you open the jacket zipper up a little?

Thanks
  6. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I"ve worn the Badlands quite a bit----but would wear something else I have in hot humid weather.
    Not as bad as a stich tho.

If you were just breezing down the highway at speed without much of a windshield---you might live with it. I never do that.

You can see my vents in this picture are wide open --------the temps were about 80 that day with no humidity and I was OK----but the riding was easy.
    If I had been struggling in rough terrain on that same day----not going very fast------crashing-----picking up me and the bike--pushing it------I would have melted.

In those conditions I prefer to wear a pressure suit---and if the weather gets cold or wet----I put a gortex shell over it.
    I just got home from Baja and that was my setup.

BigDog

My warm to cold setup with the badlands

[​IMG]

My cool to hot setup in Baja----note the blue gortex shell is strap to the back of my bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. vintagebob

Oddometer:
    I got the light colored Misano version for the reason you mentioned. I thought the black would be too hot.

I have not had issues with the collar. There is no place on the stock Latitude jacket to fasten a loose collar though (or on the Badlands?). I know that some people have added a bit of velcro for this purpose. I would try it out behind the RT screen before I would modify the jacket. I tend to keep the collar closed most of the time anyway to discourage bees from entering the jacket. ; )

You should read through the Latitude thread for other opinions.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716773&highlight=klim+latitude
  8. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I'm not Bob, but I did own both the Latitude original and the Misano version. The collar didn't really flap around when riding, but its got no snaps on it so if it did, I didn't feel or hear it. I didn't like the fact that the collar when left open didn't have a place to secure it. The goretex is also a different version than the Badlands and I don't know if it was the lack of decent vents or the type of goretex, but I would sweat in my Latitude if the temps got above 70 degrees. I had the grey Latitude and it got dirty real quick. The light grey was practically white. I went with a black badlands this time to hide the dirt better.
  9. vintagebob

Oddometer:
    I see my original response to these questions didn't post...

I bought the light colored version because I thought it would be cooler than the black.

Hikertrash covered the collar. I had no issues with it but it does not have a way to be secured open. I don't think it will be a problem behind the RT screen but I normally ride with it closed so I may not be the best judge.

Hikertrash is also correct about the light color showing the dirt more. It hasn't been an issue for me in a road touring environment and I don't mind washing it once in awhile with Nikwax.

If you are considering the Latitude, make sure that you check out the thread that covers it.
  10. mrpete64

mrpete64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new 2013 Badland jacket will be available with high viz yellow panels. If you look at the current Badland's jacket in grey...the grey panels will be yellow. New cut to jacket and new updated armour.
    Can't wait to buy one.
  11. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    The Badlands does have velcro fasteners for holding open the collar and keeping it from flapping around.
  12. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    That's never worked for me when I've used them.
  13. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Different bikes, maybe. I'm riding an FJR behind a taller aftermarket shield. I'm not getting hit with much air at all, so the collar stays open okay.
  14. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    Any other info or spy shots of the new gear? Any idea on a release date?
  15. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    I had a firsthand demo of a Badlands suit being crash tested right in front of me.
    Rider had a high speed get off on the dirt and broke his clavicle.
    I have been wary of the effectiveness of built in armor in jackets compared to pressure suits.

The jacket did its job and I was very impressed with the level of protection with such a violent get off.
    Looking into the Badlands as my next all around jacket
  16. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Even his clavicle did its job protecting him, by breaking and short-circuiting all that energy absorbed on his arms and/or should and preventing that energy from reaching his neck/spinal column.

But it's good to know the Badlands will do its job.
  17. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Me likey....:evil
  18. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Me, too!!!
  19. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: