trying to eliminate fuel smell in Wolfman tank bag on '95 R1100GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by crazyred, Sep 29, 2009.

1. crazyred

crazyred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good day all. I have a '95 R1100GS that has a plastic fuel tank. The PO didn't take care of this bike, and it has around 88,000 miles now. I replaced the fuel cap with one I found on flea bay, for 1/2 of the new price, the old one was bent, and I still deal with the gas fumes in the tank bag. I have removed the bag, and now wondering what I should do for this. I thought of putting something between the fuel cap and the bag, but I might be just spinning my wheels. Anyone have any sugestions?? I would like to replace it with a metal tank, but have not had the money to do this as of yet. The carbon canister is gone, but the hoses are still under the seat on the right side, and are free of obstruction. Maybe I should just put the tank panners on it, and not have a tank bag?? Just looking for some more storage for things that are in the side cases now. Thank you for your time.
  2. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Is this an ongoing problem with a leaky gas cap? If not, then the smell will eventually go away- I overfilled my Jota once (hopeless seal on that one) and there was enough petrol on the underside of the (Wolfman) tank bag to slightly 'melt' the rubbery stuff, but the smell went away after a week or so.

Three Dawg
  3. crazyred

crazyred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is an on going problem, and have not fixed it with the new cap. Just the plastic tank I guess. The PO tried to paint the tank, and failed badly. Not sure if a net paint job might help or not.

4. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    How would a new paint job fix it?

Drain and remove the tank. Pressurize it off the bike and find the leak. Fix the leak. Then, paint the tank.

To remove the smell from the tank bag, place the tank bag in a plastic bag along with some crushed charcoal. Let it sit for several days. Remove and wash the bag to remove any charcoal dust.
  5. ggrjr

ggrjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just wnet through the same issue with my bag. I ended up removing the side plastic panels, and putting it in teh washing machine. After that I left it on teh porch to air out for several days. Smell is now completely gone, and bag is as good as new.
  6. crazyred

crazyred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your coments. There is no leak on this tank, has never dripped a drop. Just can't beat the gas smell. I guess I will be looking for a new-to-me metal tank.
  7. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fuel smell is coming from somewhere. Maybe the cap isn't seating correctly. There's a leak somewhere. Fill the tank full ride around without the bag stop and start sniffing around.

To get rid of smells in/on the tank bag soak it in a baking soda and water solution.

Those plastic tanks have a reputation for bubbly paint, not leaking.
    I got a spare one but it too far away to ship.
  8. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    I have the plastic tank with no issues...... metal tanks are lots of $$$ usually... try and recheck the gas cap.
  9. Teager

Teager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. crazyred

crazyred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have filled this tank all the way to the bottom of the neck, and rode it around, and not a splash of fuel ever gets past the gasket on the cap. If I put my nose right against the tank, I can smell fuel, and around the cap, but it has new o-ring under the reducer for the filler, and the cap I got isn't bent like my old one was. Thank you for the post on the grey tank, I looked at that one before, good price, just have to pay for shipping. I appreciate all you input on this inmates!! This poor bike has had a rough life, but it runs real strong, so trying to make it better as I go. Just working on a champagne budget on a beer income!!!