2014 SuperTenere news and info

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Harry Potter, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
  2. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer:
    I like Guzzi's, they make great project bikes, even the new ones :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. AlsoRan

AlsoRan PNF

Oddometer:
    Not much different in touring mode between stock and the standard re-flash. 2-up mine used to run 48-49 mpg for normal touring, but a little less if running high speed interstate. I wanted more 2-up power without the snap of sport mode so I had a custom T-mode developed, fuel mileage is about 1 mpg less than the standard re-flash, 2-3 less if I'm running interstate.
  5. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you definitely won't be able to 'drop in' different-size valves without sending the head to a machine shop, or getting a new head. Not sure about the rest. The base-model ECU might work, but, as others have posted, a re-flash costs much less.
  6. Lerxstdawg

Lerxstdawg Wait...what?

Oddometer:

That's quite a "flamboyant" moustache. :lol3
  7. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it was a suggestion of what I would have looked like had bought a Raven color.:wink:

True blue .....:D

[​IMG]
  8. mrpete64

mrpete64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume that Yamaha "fixed" the flash issue with there new 2014. I cannot understand why this company just didn't come out and fix all of them. Why should someone have to spend $400+ to have their bikes work correctly.
    If they had fixed all of them every bike owner would have come across the "good will" of Yamaha instead of reading over and over the complaints of Tenere owners. With the internet the days of "pulling the wool over peoples eyes" is over!
  9. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:

Before EFI was around I think every carbed bike I owned benefited from jetting of some sort. Some more than others. We didn't blame the factory, usually EPA tied their hands and we simply went and optimized what they gave us. Nobody complained because it was a few bucks for jets, sometimes just drilling access to a mixture screw or a hardware store washer to shim the needle.

Now we complain because software is involved instead. There is no issue with the bike in stock form, either you like the power characteristic or you don't, nobody is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. So happens there is an EASY way to optimize what Yamaha gave us ,from third parties, and they want to be paid for it, no different than purchasing a pipe.

If Yamaha listened to their early customers and has tried to improve the Tenere based on a fair percentage of current owners that desire a flash, good for them for upgrading their product . A lot of potential customers passed on the bike due to the throttle response, I almost did myself. Yamaha owes current owners nothing, I bought a bike that worked correctly, just not up to my standards, and took it upon myself to modify it. Really like most EVERY bike I own.

My guess is the the improved model will STILL benefit from a third party flash.
  10. snakebitten

snakebitten Small Town Hick

Oddometer:
    Excellent post.

As amazing as this bike is, it's not immune from the human dilemma. :)

I bet you are right about the 2014 too. Regardless of what the throttle mappings are like, there will NOT be consensus that Yamaha got it perfect.
  11. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dave is correct in pointing out EPA compliance. Not trying to be critical, but you and others fail to realize how intrusive the EPA and other regulatory agencies are in this process. There are no laws passed by Congress that allow them to do what they do, they do it by regulatory fiat. The Supreme Court allows them to do through a series of decisions that claim it is constitutionally correct. I won't turn this into a political debate, but you (and others) have to realize that the EPA even regulates how noise the motor makes. Yamaha can not re-flash or anything else like that or else the EPA and/or CARB would put them out of business almost immediately. I'm sure the same goes for the EU too. Yamaha and all of the manufacturers do the best they can while playing ball with the world-wide eco-lobby.
  12. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    .... But many manufactures are able to do a far better job of enginee management, working within the same EPA restrictions, then Yamaha had done with the S10. My BMW, Triumph, he'll even my Moto Guzzi and my Vespa have better throttle response and more linear power delivery then the S10. I put saddle time in on my buddy's Wee Strom and that to is good to go.

Paul
  13. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:

I'd agree with you in this case. About, well, every bike I've owned has had better throttle response :lol3 the flash is the reason I bought the bike anyway. It's that I liked everything else on the bike so much.

I think (just guessing) some of it was a conscious decision on Yamahas part. maybe they were trying to make the bike easy to ride in the loose. Honestly I'm surprised how many with stock bikes say they ride in T mode and rarely use sport. I'd be willing to bet these same folks would ride a flashed Tenere in S mode and complain about it being to abrupt, and to some degree it could be on slow speed hairpins etc, but I could say that about most any bike with lots of torque.

Regardless, I knew exactly what I was buying.
  14. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:

Point well taken. However, I'd say that for every well fueled bike there's ones that aren't so good. Like the wee strom that is spot on, yet the V-Strom sucks. The KTM 950 Adventure was horrid also. The Tiger 800 is okay, but it's still not really "there". I know, I've own all of them at one time or another. So.....

Dave could be onto something also in that maybe Yamaha left it soft for other reasons and there are a combination of factors at work. :brow
  15. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well they fixed that too soft response on the FZ09. Every complains that they didn't get the fueling right because it's too abrupt (in one mode) and the other mode is too soft.

Maybe YAMAHA should just put infinitely variable throttle response adjuster on there with a memory button.
  16. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the USA even have a date we can start counting down to? How about Canada?
  17. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    No firm date in the USA. All we know is sometime in March Yamaha will announce plans and pricing. Patiently waiting here! :1drink

Paul
  18. Hellfish

Hellfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Canada website says to stay tuned for more information about the new Tenere on January 10th.
  19. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:

Good point. I think EPA requires lean jetting in the lower gears to meet their noise & exhaust requirements. Suzuki has a free fix for the 2012 DL1K.

The redesigned 2014 Vee2 meets the requirement . . . I have not heard of low rpm hesitation issues from early MC tests.

http://bruceatk.com/20130306_055_dl1000_low_rpm_hesitation_and_surging_service_bulletin.pdf

[​IMG]
  20. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    I remapped the Griso 2012, and it had a huge flat spot below 3800 rpm, turned out to be just retarded timing, fuel was fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.