Saturday after Thanksgiving Coke Ovens Loop 2011

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 4play, Sep 25, 2011.

1. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    We're planning to do the Coke Ovens loop again this year on the 26th of November. Kickstands up at 8am.

Here are the details from last years ride: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627072&highlight=4play & ride report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640879 and another ride report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535122&highlight=coke+ovens

The loop is ~55 miles. We've decided to do it backwards this year. That means ~10 miles of pavement to Battleaxe & another 15 miles of relativiely easy two track with one pretty choppy hill just before the ovens (If that hill makes you uncomfortable, you may want to consider going back the way we came in) After the ovens is starts getting more difficult & rocky with the usual trouble spots. On to Ajax mine & back out to the trucks Lunch at Los Hermanos in Superior. This is a very remote, very rocky ride. Competent, well prepared riders on well prepared bikes are welcome to follow along.

RIDE Details:
    Ride at your own risk.
    I was asked about liability forms.
    Myself & a few others are offering to show the route to & from the Coke Ovens. If you decide to join us, you must assume full responsibility for yourself & your safety. If that is not acceptable don't come.

Riders meeting 7:30am
    You should be unloaded & mostly suited up prior to the meeting.

Depending on the number of riders, we'll divide into smaller groups of 10 or less & practice bump n go. There are several places that would be easy to miss a turn, so this is not optional.
    Each rider will make certain the rider behind him knows which way they went. Showing up at a checkpoint without your "buddy" will not be taken lightly. If you don't think you can manage to look after your fellow rider then I'd prefer you did not join us.

If you come to an intersection & you're not sure which way to go :dunno , STOP AND WAIT, someone will come back for you while the rest of us are beating :thwak or at least verbally abusing the individual who didn't make sure you knew which way to go.

There will be traffic, other bikes, quads, side by sides & Jeeps frequent the entire route. Stay to the right & try not to become a hood ornament. Lots of rain wash outs that are not visible until you are on them. Lots of dust, don't ride faster than you can see, back off & let the dust settle. Remember the rider in front of you will make sure you don't miss the next turn.

If you show up late for the ride we will not wait on you. Nothing personal, but the rest of us did not get up early to wait on you.

This is a very rugged, remote, rocky son of a gun. Please use ATGATT. IMHO knee & elbow guards are not optional equipment, if you fall it will be on something hard and/or pointed. If you get hurt back there there is no easy way out, plan on paying for a helicopter ride.

You must be self sufficient, lots of water, snacks, tools/parts & ability to repair a flat etc. I'm thinking it'll be close to 2pm by the time we get to eat lunch at Los Hermanos so plan your snacks & water accordingly. I have no problem with beer AFTER the ride, but not before or during please.

We do not tolerate littering, you pack it in, you pack it out. We also try hard to be polite, give others plenty of room & gently pass them when it's safe to do so.

Only healthy riders with well maintained equipment should attempt this ride. Please air your tires up for this ride (I suggest 16psi minimum, I run 18 front & 16 rear on my 450), lots & lots of sharp rocks & ledges. I remember very few Coke Ovens ventures that did not involve at least one flat repair.

Please read all of the ride reports that where posted earlier & be sure you are up for this ride. This ride is unique in that there is very little "cruising". From start to finish it's loose rock, washouts etc.

I'm not KLR bashing, but if you plan to show up on something that big and heavy, you'd better be very, very good on it. I've seen guys on the big KTM's & KLR's make the ride look easy, but they were exceptional riders. Your call

Should be a blast :thumb
    In List:
    4play KTM450XC
    Big-E Hussaberg 570FE
    Slowred Honda CRF450X
    DOD KTM525MXC
    2 Spot ATK
    refokus KTM450EXC
    Seabee1 Honda CRF450X
    Montek Husky 450
    Nightstalker Honda CRF450X
    Riding Solo Yamaha WR450F
    FastPhil38 Honda CRF450X
    Yardstick KTM 530
    Utefan Honda XR650R or CRF450X
    Hoosiertrailmaster KTM450EXC
    Cyberdos Suzuki 400 +1
    Ybracing KTM525EXC
    Reidy008 Honda CFR250
    Kawi380 WR450F
    Dillon KTM525EXC
    YZCathy KTM450
    Skip CRF450X
    Javelina CRF450X (I think)
    RWAZ Robby Gordon Edition 4 seat RAZOR (Sweep)

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  2. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh Yea,.... IN!!

Thanks for hosting this year Buddy.

Everyone, please re-read the above post, it just might save you some serious grieef. This ride is harder than you might think it is.

Can't wait!!

BTW, is there going to be any Bacon involved??:lol3
  3. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Los Hermanos serves breakfast or if Big Jim doesn't ride with us, maybe he'll take your order? :evil
  4. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting this together this year 4Play! Last year was a blast.

Definitely IN! :clap
  5. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
    I'm in if my lawyer approves the waiver.

-dod
  6. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    its unclear to me, but i think the run is on dirt one way and slab back? if so anyone want to run the dirt back with me? could bring a different route back.
  7. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Good point Clay. The last ~10 miles is pavement back to the trucks. With OHV tags I believe you'd blend in with the group ok, but no gaurantees. You might be able to get somebody to stage a truck or trailer at the end of the dirt?
  8. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am definately IN! All the Coke Oven rides have been a blast. What a great way to work off a little bit of the food from the day before. I hear that the little side route to Martinez Cabin is closed. I hope not, that is a cool place.
  9. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    That's what I've heard as well. If we're making good time, we can cruise over to the river to add to the ride.
  10. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    just got the green light from my wife. no plans for that day except coke ovens! i'll ride sweep, if that's ok. this will be my third time to the ovens on the third bike! never repeat, i guess. so i'll need another bike for next years trip!

i'm in! :clap

there is one bail out point, though. if you make it to the turn off to the ovens in box canyon, you can go straight and make it to price road, which will lead you to florence. but getting to this turn is no small feat, though. but still, the worst is yet to come!
  11. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    I would appreciate the help. RWAZ is planning on helping sweep in his Robby Gordon edition 4 seater Razor. I want to pre run it once to see if there are any places he might have an issue, but he is awesome in that thing. If it's doable, it would be an great support vehicle.

You can bail out prior to that at the step down to the canyon, but there will not be any support for that.
  12. seabee1

Oddometer:
    i can only think of two places that may give him some trouble. although, knowing his driving skills, they won't be a problem. it'll be good to see him again.
  13. refokus

Oddometer:
    It's quite possible that there will be a Husaburg 570 for you next year........:lol3
  14. refokus

Oddometer:
    Did I hear Pre-Run? :ear
  15. seabee1

Oddometer:
    i'm definately in for that!

and the pre-run. let me know, please.
  16. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    My bike still looks like this with the engine disassembled on my bench.

[​IMG]

I should have the engine together this weekend, but I'm going to Bonneville the following week..
  17. seabee1

Oddometer:
    what the hell?! that was just a motorcycle yesterday!
  18. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    You don't disassemble yours to wash it? :huh

My last two rides were on loaners. Todd's awesome WR's & Brad's very cool 690 for Heber.
  19. seabee1

Oddometer:
    You mean were supposed to wash these things!?
  20. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    be heading back from yuma friday afternoon with the toy hauler. convinced the sweet little thing i should ride as payment for putting up with the her side for 2 damn days. be camped in the desert friday night night with the huskyvanna cuddled up with me.

SO IN ya cant get me out.

Read the intro - its rough, its tough, its so much stuff, and then ya get to the nasty part.

Monte