ktm lc4 burning oil ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by F1paul, Jun 27, 2013.

1. F1paul

F1paul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is normal oil usage for the lc4 engine..bought it in march with 13000k's...first two months oil level stayed same....now it seems I am putting about 100ml or soI every 10 days to keep it up to the mark...is this normal.
    I'm not blowing smoke or anything like that out the exhaust and its not leaking.

BTW.... my manual says to check the oil on the side stand but read on here proper way is check with bike upright level so that's what I have been doing.
    Am i maybe putting too much in that way and its just burning off... reason why I went that method because on the side stand checking it was always the same whether hot or cold
  2. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the bike while vertical, not on the side stand.

We need more info to help.............if the bike is doing 100km's in ten days, then you might have a problem..........if you are doing a few thousand km's in ten days all could be fine.

Why don't you start by doing a complete oil change with the oil level correctly set.

Then note how many km's you have done when the oil level gets to the lower mark on the site glass.

Get back to us when you have those figures.:lurk

Cheers
  3. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    In my experience even a well worn LC4 doesn't use much oil, maybe a 200ml top up as it's coming due for the service every 5k km.

The level in the glass varies quite a bit. I usually look for it sitting at the top mark when stone cold & flowing through to a level at the bottom mark when well warmed up.

Cheers
    Clint
  4. F1paul

F1paul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies...
    clintnz..you mean the reverse of what you said I think...cold..bottom mark...warm..top mark..right?.

And as per K's I pit roughly 500-750 in 10 days as I commute with the bike(lots o fun) plus the weekend and after work blasts..(even more fun )
    PO said oil was fresh when I bought it and I have put just over 3000 on it..maybe I will change the oil early and monitor it after in more detail.
  5. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crankcase is full when at the top mark "COLD".

If you are using 100cc oil in 750km's that is not too bad.

Some bikes.......BMW boxers come to mind..........seem to use a little oil when the oil is first changed and at the high mark............then settle down and use less oil when the level drops a bit.

I think you are ok.

Cheers
  6. F1paul

F1paul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will do fresh oil change next week when back from vacation...

And....dint mean to argue but my manual says.....
    " If the engine is cold the oil level should be visible at the lower edge of the inspection glass"
    " if the engine is warm the oil level should be visible at the upper edge of the inspection glass
  7. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Assume no oil in the airbox....

bill
  8. Mat

Mat Tosser

Oddometer:
    Be aware that the level in the sight glass fluctuates a lot between rides, as mentioned.

So just get in the habit of checking every time you get to the bike (the oil needs some time to flow down), and make sure the oil level is roughly between the two marks in the sight glass at most times. Those motors are rather tolerant.

Also, 1 liter of oil per 5k km should be ok, even more I guess. Depending on how you use it.
  9. F1paul

F1paul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually there is oil in the airbox I'm noticing.....what would that mean
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    If your not grossly overfilling and getting oil blown into the airbox, that usually indicates piston/piston ring/ bore damage...
  11. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    My oily airbox problrm was solved with new seals for the valves and a regrind.

bill