Universal Enduro Fairing

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by aiMhi, Feb 28, 2012.

1. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    I HAVE PUT THIS PROJECT ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT

Update 09/19/12

Stealth II
    <!-- #dg-post-title --><!-- message -->I have been thinking about how I can make my Stealth fairing better. I considered customer and fellow ADV rider feedback and looked at the newer bike light designs (see below), DOT requirements etc. and came to the following conclusion -

I am happy to present the new STEALTH II Enduro Fairing

New Features:
    Unique design
    Overall shorter and more compact
    Slightly lighter - under 2LB
    Make the wind deflection lip at the top longer -if someone wants to trim it down they still have some left for deflection
    OEM lighting is coming along + LED OEM bulb plug in replacements are now available - why go non-DOT and spend 100's $
    Make a fairing that accomodate the new OEM lighting shapes (notice the V at the bottom of the lights below)
    Make the bottom section a bit narrower to accomodate more oversize tanks
    Provide a larger/ flatter, more flexible area (lower down) to accomodate the LARGE enduro lights and to easily surface mount non-OEM
    Attachment - flange bolts embedded in fiberglass
    Can provide "uncut" so you can modify the depth of the fairing yourself

This should give you a good idea of the size and overall design that I feel will compliment the new angular/ triangle design that is found in most of the newer bikes - but also backwards compatible to bring that newer look to an older bike.

Update 10/25/12

Here is the pics I promised of Stealth II

Sorry for the poor pictures - the snow is back!!! When things clear up I will take some more.

Fully mounted up with (1) Rigid Driving light which is plenty light. The attachment is simple and universal by means of my fiberglass flange bolts that are rigid and cannot vibrate loose. The light I am using is of course just my preference and using my attachment methods you can pretty much mount any light. The lower part of the fairing was made to accomodate OEM lighting and blend into the V notch on the newest bikes.

Keep in mind these come in brilliant white for those of you that are allergic to red - LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some pics of the mounting brackets. There is so many ways of doing this. In the examples below I show the simple bottom connection point/ recever and for the top I used some simple brackets to attach to my risers and also to HDB handguards. The brackets are simple, rigid and cheap to make. If your bike has turning signal mounts (DR650) you can just connect the top brackets on it. I dont make the brackets, and the reason why I cannot make it is because each bike has different geometly depending on the light, handlebar hight, risers, etc. Standard it comes with (3) bolts, two on top and one on the bottom. I include mounting instructions and concept templates.

If you are in the Denver area (im in Larkspur) you are always welcome to stop by and moc a fairing up or just see if it would fit your bike.

Bottom connection - in this case a simple plate mounted to the OEM fairing connections with a central receiver hole. It accepts a simple 2" x 2" L bracket that connects to the bottom fairing flange bolt.

[​IMG]
    Top view of bottom bracket
    [​IMG]

My preferred method is attaching directly to my HDB handguards which is a solid piece of hardware.

[​IMG]

This is (1) of two side brackets that support the top of the fairing via a A bracket. Just a hole drilled into the billet aluminium riser on both sides - hold solid. In the unfortunate event of a head-on collision the alumimium would bend before the bolt breaks. There are (2) of these side brackets for the top of the fairing with a crossbar in the middle - kinda like an A.

[​IMG]

Here is a frontal picture of the top A bracket - its not my best work and yeah I need to organize my wiring badly!!
    You get the idea. To get the fairing off = 3 bolts.

This shows the top and bottom flange bolts. The production fairing will have the bolts embedded into the fairing during manufacting however mine have always been surface fiberglassed and never had any issues even after multiple crashes.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the bottom L bracet that connets to the "receiver" mounted on the bike.

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whether you ride long distance Enduro, Rally, or a Desert Rat that like to tear up Baja, a Mountain Goat that cross the Continental Divide in a day, or even ride the TAT, this will prevent you from getting "wind-wipped" , prevent arm fatigue and protect you from roost and the elements.

As a fellow ADV rider I felt a need for a Universal Enduro Fairing that is affordable and functional without affecting bike handling and stable at high speed. This is a customizable fairing that you can use as a platform to add a dash, OEM or non-OEM headlights, paint or whatever you want. Additionally it has a "fairing forward" design like Dakar Rally style fairings with a typical location of the fairing 10" in front of handlebar to prevent an impact zone and provide room for an electronics dash (available per request). I offer the Rigid LED lights and can install that onto the fairing for you. (1) Flood Light is plenty and can be found here: http://www.aimhi-enduro.com/LED-High-Power-Lighting.html

Can I trim it down a bit - no problem! I have designed some sturdy brackets that are easy to make. At this time I have it figured out for the XR650R but the concept will work on any bike -adding more templates as we go.If you want it trimmed down or modified, let me know, I am good at it.

My pledge: :deal
    10% of my profit to organizations like RMAR and COHVCO to keep the Rockies open for all of us
    5% off your purchase when mentioning ADV and your handle

Design Objectives:
    1. Universal in designed to fit most any dirt bike
    2. A strong, yet light and flexible fairing that would be attractive and affordable without affecting handling
    2. Provide wind, element and roost protection
    3. Composite material that is tough, light and repairable - unlike most plastics
    4. Simple yet sturdy attachment points and bracket design
    5. Fit between large Safari type tanks
    6. More crash resistant than a full wraparound fairing
    7. Accomodate a Dash area to protect my aftermarket electronics
    8. Accommodate a wide variety of lighting systems from OEM to large aftermarket lights + LED's
    9. Easily removable
    10. Size adjustable with simple rotary cutting tools
    11. Comes in white gel coat, so you can paint it your bikes brand color
    12. Made in the United States of America
    &#8203;

The Enduro Stealth Universal Fairing is the result of my R&D and glad to be able to share this product with you at $175 excluding tax and shipping (before ADV 5% discount). Intended for off-road - use with discretion.

Please see my site for further details www.aimhi-enduro.com

Thank you for the interest.

[​IMG]

Carbon Fiber Dash - available by request
    [​IMG]
  2. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CONGRADULATIONS hope you sell a ton of 'em :beer
  3. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Dennis - I have it all dissassembled and written the instructions to go with the bracket assembly. I will take you but 15 -30min to assemble, if that. The instructions also include a paint recommendation for the Honda Red including an example fairing disk painted in that color, + another disk if you want to test another color.

Look forward to pictures.

Thanks,
    Bern
  4. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Lunger - Thanks for the interest. I need to track a Husky down close to me south of Denver or if I can have it for a weekend (yeah right). I will put a request in my first post. Stay tuned!

6. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Norcal Dog - You package is on its way. Any problems let me know.

I made up the brackets and dash for Dennis and cant wait to see it on his bike.

Thank you,
    Bern
  7. 4stksonly

4stksonly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can I trim it down a bit - no problem! I have designed some sturdy brackets that are easy to make. At this time I have it figured out for the XR650R but the concept will work on any bike. Adding more templates as we go.

My pledge: :deal
    $5 to Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition (COHVCO) to keep the Rockies open for all of us
    10% off your purchase when mentioning ADV and your handle
    &#8203;

The Enduro Stealth Universal Fairing is the result of my R&D and glad to be able to share this product with you at $175 excluding tax and shipping (before ADV 10% discount).
    Intended for off-road use, use with discretion.

Please see my site for further details www.aimhi-enduro.com

**** I am looking for voluteers in the South Denver/ Cospgs area to mock up brackets on these bikes. 25% Discount if you move to purchase ***

XR650R (donor located - bracket tempates available)
    CRF 450 (donor located)
    DR650
    KTM 450,690
    XR 650 L
    TE Models
    WR

Thank you for the interest.

Fiberglass Dash - available by request
    [​IMG]
    [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I am way to far from you. I have a XR650L and I am interested in this product. You stated you have the bracket templates for an XR650R available. For sale or free? And the example of the dash in red. Do you have one of these available? Trying to approach this from the bracket/dash perspective vs the fairing then dash/brackets.
    Let me know,
    Eric
    aka 4stksonly
  8. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    I know there are several folks with XR650L's interested in my area. I will be meeting them at the end of the month and should secure an example bike then (I am also traveling right now).

The dash has a dependency of the brackets for the fairing since they work as a system. Sorry I just cant give away my templates for free, I put some work into it. I dont make any $ out of the dash so only worth my time if someone buys the fairing - please understand :nod

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I am way to far from you. I have a XR650L and I am interested in this product. You stated you have the bracket templates for an XR650R available. For sale or free? And the example of the dash in red. Do you have one of these available? Trying to approach this from the bracket/dash perspective vs the fairing then dash/brackets.
    Let me know,
    Eric
    aka 4stksonly[/QUOTE]
  9. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bern,

just received the fairing

you've done a great job with the design & fabrication, the mounts is also a simple lightweight, yet hardy design :clap

will post some photos after it's painted & mounted

thanks again

D.
  10. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...wow, that's just what I've been thinking about for my WR. Great idea.
    I'd like to see some more pics on how you went about mounting it, what the options are, etc... :ear
  11. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:

Rapid Dog - My brackets are simple in design and super sturdy. Hope this helps.

All you need is (1) piece of 1/8" x 2" Flat Aluminuim $10.
    (5) 5/16 bolts/ nuts/ lock washers
    A vice and a 5/16 drill bit.
    Saw to cut aluminium (dremel etc.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    I have some in right now with just one left. Let me know if you are interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Find below a snapshot of my XR650R templates for reference. These can be adapted to any bike.

There is a template for:
    Lexan Lens
    Headlight light mount
    Headlight Hole Locations
    Bracket tempate

These templates are 100% to scale, so all you do is mark the cut, drill and bend lines over to the aluminium piece and there you have it.

[​IMG]
  13. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    I'll be mounting up this one up to my pig tomorrow, need to get ready for the Grand Juction to Kokopelli run which is going to be awesome :clap.

Notice the Lexan lens with the bend in it. I like it even if I have to say so myself. There is a trick to it but cake.

I think I found the perfect paint to match my Honda plastics Rust Oleum Automotive Enamel – Gloss Cherry Red 252459 (Home Depot).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Got my fairing all bolted up this AM and the lights mounted. Just need to add the dashboard and I am all ready for the Kokopelli Rally ride from Grand Junction to Moab and back :clap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Hello aimHi,

I'm quite impressed based on what I can see - looks sharp! On my DRZ, I have a fork-mounted fairing from Simpson Detour - and it's ok, but I'm looking to do an upgrade. I explored this way back here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522615&page=2, in post #25. For reference, my bike is in post #22.

So my questions to you are

1) Could this fairing be configured as a frame-mounted unit? As in the way the OTR product does in the link shown above (yellow DRZ)?

2) I'm assuming your price doesn't include the light kit? If that's the case, what unit did you use below, and what approx price should I budget for? Those look awesome - and I think a better option than OTR, and certainly better than my massive pair of conventional lights.

3) What is the weight with all lights, brackets, etc.? I weighed mine yesterday, and it weighed exactly 5lb. That's fairing (no lexan shield shown above, I've removed it) and lights.

4) Do you still have capacity for more - based on your answers to the above, I might spring for one - they're already in my colour? :)

Thanks
  16. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Hi and thanks for the questions and comments. I think you have your answers since we discussed it on the phone, but for the audience sake here are some answers:

So my questions to you are

1) Could this fairing be configured as a frame-mounted unit? As in the way the OTR product does in the link shown above (yellow DRZ)? Yes, if you are set on using the frame mount. Unless you are riding Baja races most likely not required.

2) I'm assuming your price doesn't include the light kit? If that's the case, what unit did you use below, and what approx price should I budget for? Those look awesome - and I think a better option than OTR, and certainly better than my massive pair of conventional lights. It does not include the lights. I used the Chinese LED lights that are available on ADV and elsewhere on the web. I do have a surpise coming soon as discussed....:lol3.

3) What is the weight with all lights, brackets, etc.? I weighed mine yesterday, and it weighed exactly 5lb. That's fairing (no lexan shield shown above, I've removed it) and lights. The fairing, lights, lexan and brackets weight 4lb.

4) Do you still have capacity for more - based on your answers to the above, I might spring for one - they're already in my colour? :) I will reserve one for you in white - LOL

Later,
    Bern

17. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bern!

There are no shortage of DR/DRZ riders here who will likely appreciate this ... to say nothing of the many KTM, Husky, Husa, etc riders who doubtlessly would enjoy such a setup.

Will send you pics now of the mounting hardware I made up for my SD unit - it'll show the difference in triple clamp bolts vs those of the XRR, in case there is some kind of alternative kit that could be made up for the Suzie bikes ...

Talk again soon,

CM
  18. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    I think I got it for the DR / DRZ. Will send you the concept tomorrow for review.

Nice to see Dr/Z top fork clamps are super stout.

Bern

19. polishadam82

polishadam82 black sheep

Oddometer:
    dude thats badass i will have to get one pretty soon :D
  20. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    It just occurred to me my phrasing of "DR/DRZ" suggests these forks/clamps are identical in these two bikes, and something tells me they are not. I don't know the details of the DR front suspension spec, others here likely will.

I should have restricted my comment to the model I know (DRZ). Not to say DR riders mightn'd enjoy such a product, though the more adv/tour bias of that bike might make those riders more amenable to a more back slanted fairing. But where I think this type of fairing could potentially make a splash is with the more enduro focused bikes (XRR, EXC, FE, TE, etc.) - and though less of a hardcore dirt bike, the DRZ as well.

Anyway - just wanted to clear that up if it was a bit muddled. Stoked to see the progress .... pennies should be lined up in a couple of weeks time to order ... :)

cheers,

CM