Rally West Virginia 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Stagehand, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jonnykilo

jonnykilo Viator

Oddometer:
  2. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
  3. Entrepre-neer

Entrepre-neer Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer:

Yep, I'll be there!! :deal It's close enough to home that I have one or two more talked into it. :freaky
    Are you and Doc coming down?
  4. Entrepre-neer

Entrepre-neer Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer:

Sweet.

I've used these for various projects. Might be a better fit for folks that have the narrow EnduroEngineering roll chart holders. These run off a 2xAAA battery pack that can be strapped down or tucked away without tying into the electrical. It will run for days continuously on that pack. Easy to take on and off with the holder. I'm gonna go try it...:evil

[​IMG]

http://lifelites.com/products/230 Individual $3

http://lifelites.com/products/144 Kit $10
  5. jonnykilo

jonnykilo Viator

Oddometer:
    I will. Not sure about Doc. I think he still needs to get a 'kitchen pass'
  6. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Killing time on a rainy day and trying to register and get my smiley faces for this event but.........where is the link to pay???
    Take my money while i am offering!
  7. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Good question, normally you will see it on the "Register" page (the page with the smiley/frownie faces) but it isn't there. I suspect that registration for RWV technically isn't open yet since it is so early. Anders runs the nasarallysport.com web site (I believe) and this is the one rally that he is not in charge of so I suspect he is just ahead of the organizers a bit.
  8. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I talked to Amy the other day and she said 6 weeks out before we'll be able to register..

On another note, how do you train for something like this? I mean, I have no idea?? Fast gravel? Straight or twisty? I'm really freaked about the nite stage because of deer. Is it up in the mountains at least where maybe there won't be quite as many? I just can't even wrap my brain around doing this but would love to know how you guys prepare. TIA
  9. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Doug Mo would tell you to pretty much stick with Bud Light as a training beverage and that mostly thats all the training you would need :lol3

Alternatively, you could practice riding as fast as you can for twenty minutes, then getting off and waiting by the side of the road for an hour, and doing it again about twelve times. :freaky

Seriously, It was once said to me that the really hard part is just having the adrenaline turn on and off a whole bunch of times a day. And it does become a pretty long day, even if things go smoothly. And I have found that unless you can find some roads where you can really just kinda haul ass for a while without getting in trouble, there is not a lot we can do on the east coast to "train." The events themselves are the best training there is. :D

Getting in a modicum of shape will make you ride better, but thats just true generally and isnt a dealbreaker for this at all.
  10. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Fast but twisty. Beware of off camber turns. There was one tricky one that just about everybody went wide on, Anders has a good video of him going off and dropping the bike on that one if you look at last year's RWV thread it is on there someplace.

Deer are a concern for me as well. I never saw any on the stage but there were a few that walked right by a bunch of us while we were sitting in front of Rally HQ 2 nights before the rally. There are tons of deer in the area. I still think that deer are more afraid of bikes due to the noise than they are with a regular car going down the highway. Also having extra bright lights doesn't hurt, at least you should be able to see them sooner.

As far as preparing, make sure the bike is in perfect condition and everything is tight. You don't want to be like the guy at Sandblast who lost his front fenter (oh wait, that was me). As long as you are comfortable on loose surfaces you should be just fine. The roads there are really pretty nice, nothing tricky.

Like Jason mentioned, hardest part is sitting around for a while then having to turn on your focus for the stage.
  11. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Ask and you shall etcetera... Here's what you're in for:

http://youtu.be/xqtC00P17KE?t=3m

You can see how that last corner was visually deceptive. :ricky

For training, I'd say go ride on some twisty gravel roads. The speeds won't be the same, but that's the surface that you'll need to be familiar with.

Cheers!
    Anders
  12. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dpRgP40wjLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    Anecdotes should hardly assuage your fear of deer, but the only time I've hit a deer (or otherwise come close) was when I was doing a measly 15 mph on the paved drive up to Spruce Knob. Other times I've done a good <s>60</s> 25 mph because that's the speed limit and never even seen a deer. The roar of a 4-stroke with no exhaust baffle will scare them right off. :D Lighting really doesn't play much into it (IMHO) because the deer I hit was in broad daylight; they have a knack for hiding where you don't expect them to be.

Time of day plays a big factor as well, early in the morning and right at dusk the deer seem to want to cross every road they possibly can.
  14. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Nonsense.

I'll be there, and I haven't even asked permission yet.

:hide

Good thing my wife doesn't read these forums.

dc
  15. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Last year we only had 8 bikes at this race. Registration isn't even officially open yet and we already have 9 on the list for this year :clap

My first 2 rallies (RWV and BRS) both had 8 bikes. I was afraid that it was dying out just as I was getting into it. Glad to see it is picking up again.
  16. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    might be 11 if Jason has his way with the ART.

17. Stagehand

Oddometer:

ARR AR ARRRR I just signed up, and signed up to volunteer at registration Friday morning, again. Looking forward :D
  18. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Hey Jason, do I have to provide plastic to mount my numbers in my luggage loops like you have?
  19. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    yeah, some arrangement for putting numbers on the side must be made. I just zip tie the plastic bits to the rack as you have seen. It could be made smaller or less obtrusive if you wanted to take the racks off, but I always figured they make good handles for hauling :wink in case I needed to, haha
    The plastics are cheap, simple things I think I got them from a motocross hsop for a couple of bucks. Can be made of almost anything, though.
  20. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    You _can_ just stick them on the side of the bike itself.