The Honda CRF250L Adventure Traveler Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lost Roadie, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Weevrider

Weevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it is big but I love the way it transfers weight off the subframe to the area below the passenger's pegs. I had one on my TW200. Its also a great way to hold onto the rear of the bike when moving it around and offers protection when taking naps. I dropped into a local store yesterday and measured the straps on a set of E-12s. I would have to replace the straps with longer ones but don't know how they would look under the cyclerack. I was hoping somebody already had the combo.
  2. Doclonghair

Doclonghair Adventurer

Oddometer:

Cory, thanks for this little gem! I've been reading forums for a few days now and haven't seen this anywhere else. An economy/performance switch in the cockpit will be awesome. I think the real question is what labels to use on the switch. Hmmm.... Maybe 10 / 11.

-doc
  3. ScootToots

ScootToots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Central Okanagan, British Columbia Canada
    This works fine for anyone who has not modded their airbox and/or upgraded the exhaust. So just a note to those who have done those mods, if you installed the ground wire switch, you might run dangerously lean on the stock controller when you switch the EJK off.

Cheers,
  4. Doclonghair

Doclonghair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, quite true. Good disclaimer, hate to see anyone cook their bike.

The stock exhaust is heavy, but it sure is quiet. Until I find myself hitting the throttle open stop on the trails, I figure the bike is just fine the way it is.

-doc
  5. shiredevon

shiredevon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting new crf next week, gonna do the same thing, maybe we'll catch up some time, i'm in batangas city. cheers
  6. Falcon083

Falcon083 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Doclonghair

Doclonghair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lost,

Many thanks for the specifics! :clap I haven't pulled and patched a tire yet, but I figure I need to be able to if I'm riding dirt. (I also appreciate the advice to practice in my garage first.)

Can you be more specific about the "standard tire lever"? I want to make sure I get the right thing. If you're feeling charitable, I'd be happy to see pics of your fender knotches too.

Cheers! :freaky

-doc

Amazon shopping list:

Park Tool VP-1 Vulcanizing Patch Kit (Single)
    Offered by Trail This. $3.59

TEKTON 21341 17mm Combination Wrench
    $5.35

Kenda 695H5222 Heavy Duty Motorcycle Tube - 80/100-21(300/​325-21) TR-6
    $19.27

Motion Pro 08-0540 24mm and 12/13mm T-6 Combination Tire Lever/Wrench Set
    Offered by Powersport Superstore. $33.72

Slime 40020 Tire Top Off Inflator
    $10.97

Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug
    $5.18

2014 Moose Racing Spare Tube Fender Pack - Black
    Offered by MxMegastore. $19.95
  8. Sierra_Lima_Hotel

Sierra_Lima_Hotel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I'm getting my bike all kitted out for another adventure. First one was on my 650 w/ jesse bags. This time, we're thinking Africa / Mongolia / Stans etc... and going a lot lighter on a crf 250L. I want to use a system that doesn't require frames / racks. Does anyone have opinions on the older version of the Giant Loop bags vs the new ones? Are the new ones worth the extra $50?

Thanks.
    SLH
  9. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I did a spin around southern Africa last year with the larger set of these on a Sertao. If price is an issue this is another option.
    http://www.nomadrider.com/softluggagenomadriderbags.aspx
    I threw it on the CRF, it fits but it looks way to big on it.
  10. Romy

Romy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got new stickers, one for the helmet and one for the bike:

[​IMG]
  11. Fawky

Fawky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please tell me the CRF250L only has 2 valves... I don't want to have to take everything apart again and look for the other two.
  12. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Well... My ass is tired. Just started my TAT adventure riding from Sacramento to Salt Lake City. 660 miles of slab with another 560 miles tomorrow to Denver.
    Work a week in Denver and then pick up the trail near Rye, CO for the ride back breaking off at Great Basis and going toward Mono lake and Yosemite.
    Picks to come... Right now, only sleep.
  13. tirebiter

tirebiter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has four..
  14. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:

Now that's cool !

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro
  15. Fawky

Fawky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just looked at my pictures and yep there they are.

What's a better way to disconnect the gastank though? Last time I got gas all over me because I didn't know what to do after I already disconnected everything.
  16. Lapchik

Lapchik Professional Neurotic

Oddometer:
    Since the river went down about 5 feet, I decided to go snoop around a bit. I thought I could do a shake down run for my new parts and see how the flood was progressing. In Akron, the water is down and out of town, but still very high. These are pictures from behind the elevator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the view of the river from Butcher Road (Westfield, IA near Joy Hollow girl scout camp).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road to the bridge on the Westfield side going into South Dakota was about 10" higher than the water in the ditches. As far as I know, Westfield and South Sioux City are the only two places you can cross in NW Iowa right now.

[​IMG]

Found this sign in Richland, DS, but it did not say that the road was closed.

[​IMG]

The water wasn't even over the top of the front tire. Easy crossing.

[​IMG]
    [hr]
    Farther down that road, I came to this. Made it across easily, but beyond that there is about a foot of moving water across the road, and I felt that I had pushed my luck far enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the return to Richland, the bike decided to take a nap on the corn plants. I had no idea what to expect . . .I've never driven on corn before. Very interesting terrain.

[​IMG]

The first mud road on the way home was not too bad. Didn't even have to put my feet down more than three times.

[​IMG]

The next road . . .however . . .was a nightmare. I slid down the hill and could not make it back up so I had to soldier on through the goop. It was a lot of duck-walking and tail happy sliding around until . . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I eventually got it upright, cleaned some mud off, and then walked beside it with it in first gear, throwing mud everywhere. Finally reached dry land and took off for home.
  17. tirebiter

tirebiter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use a match, catch the tank on fire and run- guarantee to work.. :lol3
    Seriously, try and get a much gas out as you can beforehand, use a plastic bucket & gloves to catch & protect.
  18. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Made it to Denver last night from Salt Lake City. Decided to go through Price cannon and the Eisenhower tunnel. 560 miles of fun to my brothers house east of Denver.
    I have a week of work here then off on the TAT.
    Need to replace my rear sprocket so a little down time for it to show up in the big brown truck works out just fine. Got almost 4k out of a renthal aluminum sprocket on mixed trails and back roads. 1200 miles of slabbing proved to be asking a bit much as its dead now but looked great when I left. I lubed it a couple of times on the way but its done none the less.
  19. StupidDogCoffee

StupidDogCoffee IGNORE THIS TEXT

Oddometer:
    I figured out a five dollar, five minute topcase for my CRF250L.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All it takes is an ammo can, which can be had for free with the purchase of ammo, or for five bucks at any gun show. You'll also need a couple of bungie cords, which you should just have because bungie cords are awesome and everyone needs to have more bungies than they know what to do with.

I just drilled a couple holes in the can to line it up with where I wanted it to sit and put the bungies on. Inside the cans I bent the bungie hooks into loops so they couldn't pull out of the can and now I have a removable but very secure top case. It might not be enough for a full face helmet, but it's got enough space to be very useful. It sits tight and comes on and off in a snap.
  20. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    So I've suffered a bit of a set back. I finished up my work in Denver and rode down to my friends house in Rye, CO to start off on the TAT in the morning...
    Not five minutes after I arrived his dog up and bit me in the nuts. One of which is the size of a lemon now and I'm seriously consider abandoning this adventure and catching a flight home... We'll see in the morning if its too the Hospital or too the TAT.