My r90 restoration.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by blaine.hale, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did they come with any plastic tube preload spacers? Usually just experiment with the tubes starting long and gradually shortening them until you get the spring rate you're comfortable with.

If you'd like to pass those old stock springs along to someone who'd appreicate a smoother ride, let me know!

cheers,
    Lornce
  2. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    This issue kind of just worked itself out, honestly. I don't have issue with sag or terrible dive anymore. I do suggest making or buying spacers though, I do have them installed with my progressive springs.
  3. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should probably add this to my thread as well. Still having some carb balance issues and not getting the full power out of the engine. The ignition is set slightly retarded because the carbs just won't stop acting up and idle way too high. I'm reaaaally debating buying a set of mikunis and just being done with it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aYl6sDgE8aA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. Lornce

Oddometer:
    Stick with the Bings until they're right, Blaine. Nothing going on there that can't be resolved with a bit of thoughtful effort. :thumb

Start a thread. Lots of opinions available to you on this site.

:lol3
  5. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Resolve the issue with the Bings first! High idle is caused by air leaks - look for a loose intake spigot or tubes or damaged jet o-rings. Mostly what I've found are damaged o-rings.

After having gone through everything like you have it can be frustrating going through it again. But check those o-rings - they've tripped me up enough times that's where I go first when it runs rough.
  6. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. I've actually replaced all the o-rings twice now just because I thought the same thing. There's an airleak somewhere because one carb acts like it's sliiiightly on choke. Checked and double checked all the boots and made sure they all we're clamped and sealed but just can't seem to pin point the issue. I've replaced about 90% of the internals too including jets, atomizer etc.
  7. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    have you checked the metal spigots where the carb boots attach to the heads? if those aren't tight you can get an air leak there.

8. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try the WD40 leak finder trick. spray until you notice an idle change so you can at least find the leak. The WD40 will block it long enough for the idle to change.
  9. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Starting fluid/ether works too and doesnt leave stuff as oily.
  10. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ooo. That's one thing I can try this weekend.
  11. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    Yea, I was just reading down, and was going to suggest the fluid/spray... I like using starting fluid, not only because it is cleaner, but if there IS a leak, it gets sucked in and makes a very noticeable difference in engine speed... revving up...

Try not only around the boots, but attention to the throttle "axle" where it goes into the throttle body. Remember you are looking for a vacuum leak, so pay attention to the vacuum side (between head and throttle plate).

O-rings are quite plausible, too: try a little squirt at the adjustment screw...

Good luck. Those Bings, for all the badmouthing they get, should make for a nice tick-over idle... keep at it! After all you've done, all the right things, just... keep doing it! Good stuff!

:D
  12. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    I just did a google site-search for ToasterTan, and you came up... that was an hour ago, I just re-read the whole thread. .... Gotta say, it was worth re-reading every bit of it... Kudos, mon!

Your carby issues: it may go back to the tank-liner problems: are you sure you are getting clean fuel? Full flow through the petcocks/filters/float valves?

And yes, do the air-leak test. I KNOW those Bings can be sweet, so getting into Mikunis isn't necessarily the solution...

13. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tanks actually been fully stripped and re-lined ;)
    That was a horrible process. By far the worst part of the build.
  14. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I'm out cleaning the r90 today (cause I love her) and I decided to give the ol spray leak test a go. Pull out the carb cleaner (it was the only flammable non-greasy thing I had.) Spray, spray, spray..nothing. Get to the left carby boot (cylinder side) and spray, the idle immediately picks up. Brilliant! I readjust the clamps and carb angle and it cleans up the idle a good bit already. It's still leaking, granted, a lot less than before. What looks like a minty fresh boot may need replacing :(
    Judging by how Fred had to heat his with a torch to get his carb on, I'd say mine are quite a bit looser than that 0_o so it may actually need replacing.
    Once again, the brilliance of ADV members pulls though!
  15. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice:thumb
  16. Lornce

Oddometer:
    I love happy endings.

:norton
  17. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    That's good news, hope it fixes the problem.:thumb

Mike
  18. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, time for a new starter :(
    Mine's on its last leg and pulling way too much amperage of the smaller stock battery (odyssey.) It will barely, if even, turn over after a full night on the charger.

Also, I'm getting some smoke out of the left exhaust when the starter turns the motor...what would that be a sign of?
  19. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    Exhaust smoke color...

White-Condensation or Moisture.

Blue-Oil.

Black-Unburned Fuel.

Mike
  20. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recall it being white...being that I'm in Georgia, I'm ok with that. (humidity and it was morning)