Yamaha TTR250

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tex_Aus, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Tex_Aus

Tex_Aus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 2007 model late last year, I've barely ridden it but so far I am pleased.

The TTR250 doesn't seem to be mentioned very often here, so rather than resurrect an old thread, I thought I 'd start a new one.

Any tips, pics or stories that anyone wants to share? Anyone?

Here's a shot of mine, taken last December:

[​IMG]

Some related threads:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638827&highlight=ttr250<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166254&highlight=ttr250<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601337&highlight=ttr250<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220970&highlight=ttr250<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574194&highlight=ttr250

Tex<o:p></o:p>
  2. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    i have one that ive been slowly turning into a dual sport.

ive done a few things to it.

[​IMG]
  3. johnrh

johnrh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sleeper of the decade
  4. johnrh

johnrh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    -------------------------
  5. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    i guess nobody rides TTR 250s ? :ear

just had my 2005 model titled today.

ported big gun race header with FMF Q4 slip on.

air box mod

Clark XR400 tank

trail tech endurance computer

trail tech led brake light , brake switch

acerbis headlight , cycra busters, taper bars, fastway pegs, giant loop bag

kick starter kit

.. for some reason mine had a decompression lever on it.. i deleted it and installed the OEM plug kit.

etc.

currently sorting out the carburetor (needs a larger main jet)
    the float bowl drain screw got stripped ... had to order a new one of those.

anyone out there know where i can find a jet kit for
    my 2005 ?
  6. supamanaint

supamanaint when in doubt - power out

Oddometer:
    The Riverina NSW / The Hunter NSW / SE Qld
    Nah the TTR250 is so good :clapthat we don't need to say to much about em and besides we are all out riding them so no time to reply.:rofl
  7. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    so, the float bowl drain screw is made out of cheese . i stripped the hell out of mine. does anyone know of one that will fit the TTR 250 carb that has an Allen instead of a Phillips head ?

also,
    if anyone can tell me where to find a jet-kit for the bike that would be great !
  8. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Just bought a 2003, did some trail riding and like it. It is easy to ride and might DS it later. The pipe is too loud for me, has a Pro-Circuit T-4.
    Clark XR400 tank, did it fit with simple mods and did the seat match the tank?
    enduro16 likes this.
  9. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Teikei carb? (Probably. The current TTR's have them, my XTZ 660 (MZ) has them.)
  10. dhally

dhally Hammerhead

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at the TTR-250 as a dualsport/trail bike. there is a UK site ttr250.com that has a lot of information including what jets to use (Mikuni jets will work).

Does anybody have any idea how this bike would compare to a DRZ400E?

- Obviously the DRZ has more power but does the TTR have enough for trails and 55 mph back roads?
    - Is the TTR much if any lighter than the DRZ-E? Or does it feel lighter and lower?
    - Does the TTR's 6 speed tranny give a better gear spread than the DRZ's 5 speed?

I would be hauling it on the back of my van and using it for single track, fire roads, and shorter Adventure rides.
    enduro16 likes this.
  11. Livotlout

Livotlout Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Well it was cheap and low miles...stock...not much power...but man...it handles tight single track just fine...plush suspension...electric start :evil and in the wide open desert roads it really is fast with the 6 speed trans....Hmmmm...I guess sometimes we forget that a small bore , air cooled thumper is all we need to play on the trails with...and low maintenance...Good Times...Cheers

Attached Files:

enduro16 and CoatsEast like this.
  13. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Well ...after the dez ride , then the mountain single track...I was suprised at how well this little thumper handled...however...she flies off the jumps just fine...at a local MX track today...yeee-haaaa

Attached Files:

14. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After much shopping and hunting around for bikes for the wife she settled on an 05' TTR250. She had a 04' previously. We looked at the DRZ 400, The WR250r, WR250f, CRF250x and even the KTM 300 EXC. She said the WR250f, CRF250x, and my KTM 530 EXCr were too "jerky" for her. The DRZ 400 was too heavy at 318 lbs so the TTR 250 weighing in at around 270 and having a not so radical throttle response seemed to suit her. It took a month of looking everyday to find one and she couldn't be happier.

Our previous TTR 250 had a Pro Circuit T4 exhaust silencer with the quiet insert and a JD kit in the carb. The TTR would walk off and leave my buddies XR250r with little effort even considering it was carrying an extra 40 lbs over my buddy on his XR.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  15. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I've had a 2005 TTR 250 for about a year now and really like it. Have made some mods, mostly based on what I read at the UK site (air box, skid plate, exhaust tip, bar risers, etc.) and other than trail riding have ridden it at just one desert race. At that race I wasn't paying close enough attention, hit a rock with the front wheel and went down hard. A buddy of mine who rides a KTM 300 suggested (strongly suggested) that I get a steering dampener on this bike, especially for desert. Anyone out there with some experience fitting a steering dampener to the TTR 250?

Here are a couple pics of my bike;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any information regarding fork or rear shock mods and any other useful tips to make this good bike great, would be appreciated! :D
  16. tdvt

tdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering if you ever fitted the steering damper? Mine can feel a little twitchy on the tarmac or hardpack with knobbies sometimes.

I've only had my '04 TTR250 since end of May, but now have it plated here in Vermont. Just really getting going with it.

So far, so good.
  17. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Have not installed the steering dampener (yet), still intending to get one on her this coming winter as I do plan to ride the Stump Jumpers Desert 100 next Spring on this bike. Have been busy since getting back from Baja catching up on everything I'd let go while prepping for the big adventure. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755786 :D

I do have a question for you other TTR250 riders; what battery do you recommend? The one I have is just a little over a year old and will not hold a charge, is there an upgrade battery for this bike? :huh
  18. tdvt

tdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did have to buy a battery for mine but I needed it that day. Got it from the Yamaha dealer but it was an aftermarket brand (not sure which) & certainly wasn't a burning deal (around $50). If I'd had more time I'd probably have gotten one off of eBay, they seem fairly inexpensive for what is likely a short-lived part anyway.

Your Baja trip looked pretty crazy!
  19. tdvt

tdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today, UPS dropped off a Polisport replacement fender (#351008) for a Gas Gas 450 that I had ordered from Motorcycle Superstore for $5 (closeout I guess). It's the same shape as the stock fender & the blue is a VERY close match. Had to redrill 4 holes (already marked in the mounting area) to put it on.

Way cheaper than a Yamaha replacement.
    tripodtiger likes this.
  20. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Sweet! :D