17" tube in an 18" tire.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blizzard Beast, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Blizzard Beast

Blizzard Beast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a flat today,rode with it to the nearest puncture repair shop.The tube had ruptured at 3-4 sites.The repair guy advised me to replace the tube but he didn't have one in 18"( stock size for my bike).He told me it was ok to put in a 17" tube into an 18" tire.

I had no option but to let him do it...Should I be concerned?
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer:
    I would be more concerned about the cross-section of the tube being large enough for your tire than about 17" versus 18" wheel diameter. The 17" tube will fit a little tighter on the rim, but can it expand to fit the inside of your tire without surpassing its specs?

You will likely be okay for a while, but I would be inclined to get a high-quality tube of the correct size ... and especially for a front tire.
  3. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    It should be fine.
  4. mudgepondexpress

mudgepondexpress Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I raced BMX we did it all the time to save a little weight...16" tubes in the 20" tires. In all my beating, banging, curb hopping, rock smashing and general holliganisms I never "popped" a tube.

Kenny
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think it would be ok. I've put 21" front tubes in (much wider 18") rear tires with no troubles, though I wouldn't consider the front-tube-in-the-rear a long-term fix, it'll get you home.
  6. Blizzard Beast

Blizzard Beast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Judging by the replies,I think my 17" tube is staying there for a long time.