ST1100 question

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by scapegoat, May 18, 2015.

1. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    So Im having hand surgery done in a few weeks and am getting itchy for a bike when Im ready to go again. Been pondering a RT but after sitting on one of the PD bikes in the shop its just an OK fit. I see alot about the ST and think it would work for care free riding. I rode one some time ago and cant recall if it was altered but it seemed like I damn near had to lay down on it to reach the bars and it was just a seeming really long bike. This I say jumping on the ST from my Ulysses which is a shorty IMO. Regardless, Im 6'2" a bit long legged and need a bike that I sit upright on with no pressure on the hands like the crotch rockets do ya. Bikes that were good for me were the Steamer,Girlie, Elefant, and the GS's, just thinkin more wind protection would be nice for winter when Im back on 2 wheels.. Thoughts appreciated.
  2. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
  3. rider33

rider33 Traveler

Oddometer:
    its always seemed like the largest and least tucked in of the sport touring class. I'm 6'2" with the 1300 varient and with the seat up, pegs down, and risers its nearly bolt upright. Its also stone reliable with killer range. 1100's are a very good value as well, give it a try & see what you think.
  4. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Instead of the ST1100 I would look for a good deal on ST1300........the power windscreen alone is worth the price of admission.
  5. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an ST1100 and find it very comfortable. It's definitely not lay down position, but mine has Helibars (came with them). I'm 5'11". It's hard to find a better, more capable bike for the money. Check cycle-ergo.com to see how it'll fit you compared to other bikes.
  6. GDI

GDI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had an ST1100 for 5 years and 35,000 miles. Like you, I'm also 6' 2" and long-legged.

It's a real. heavy. bike.

Mine had stock bars, stock pegs, w/ sargent seat. I noticed early on during the "honeymoon" phase that my hands would tingle, like so many folks complain about various bikes on the internets. My fix for that was to scoot up close to the tank, which put me in a more upright position while taking the weight off my hands. I never had any trouble with that again. . . .

What I did have was lots of knee, and foot pain. I suppose my riding position may have contributed. In hindsight, I should have done some sort of peg-lowering modifications to make the bike more comfortable.

I sold mine after buying a Versys. After that, I could only, very rarely, think of a good reason to get that heavy pig out of the garage! :lol3 My knee and foot pain cleared up nicely as well. :deal

Now the Versys is the one sitting in the garage. Weather protection is lacking, also not particularly fond of chain drive. I'm on to the Super Tenere. I've got a few niggles to work out with it, but it's looking like the best of both worlds. . . . . Will have to see how this plays out.

GDI
  7. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    ST1100 vs Ulysses is a stark contrast. Having tried the opposite direction -- daily commute on ST, then test riding a Uly -- I was struck by how short the Uly felt. Tight & maneuverable handling once you get past the "over the front wheel" feeling. But the riding position was roomier in the legs as I recall.

I have cheapo risers on my stock ST bar, retaining stock cables & hoses. Riding position is maybe 1/3rd - 1/2 the way toward Uly's, reach-wise? This mod, however, doesn't retain the stock handlebar cover. Helis are a much more involved mod.

ST1300 riding position is very close to ST1100's.

Really wanted to like the Uly but couldn't get past the wooden rear brake & the paint shaker vibration at stoplights. That was probably 5-7 yrs ago; ST1100 continues on as the carefree commuter.....

As mentioned: www.cycle-ergo.com
  8. glynb

glynb Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer:
    I had my ST1100 for 11 years and 53000 miles. Bullet proof tourer. Never had any mechanical problems at all. I too had heli-bars on it that made the riding position perfect for me.

But like a previous inmate stated the bike is very heavy. I picked it up after dropping it one time, and I thought it was going to put me in a wheelchair.:rofl

The only reason I got rid of it was that I wanted a lighter, more commuter friendly machine. I sometimes regret selling it because it was the perfect touring bike for me, but I wanted lighter and simpler.
  9. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    Hum, thanks for the input. Regarding weight Ive owned two Electra Glides so I cant imagine it being worst COG vise etc. There is a 91 locally, but the seller wants a mint for it. I don't care for misleading others, like Id really be interested at the price, but maybe begging the guy will get me a quick spin on it or at least I can have a close second try on one.
  10. GDI

GDI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it's been mentioned or if you're aware--later models have a better quality, higher output electrical system. That might be a consideration if you're going to be running lots of electrical accessories.

GDI
  11. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    ^^This^^
    '96 & beyond (I think) have an air-cooled 40W alternator. Pre-'96 had a 28W oil-cooled unit. Those older oil units are prone to leak or fail electrically, depending on the extra demands placed on them (lights, heated gear, etc), so it's not unusual to see older STs with 40W upgrades. However, it is not a trivial swap; remove the swingarm or the motor, your choice, to get access.

Not a deal-breaker IMO, but certainly an influence on pricing.
  12. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it's been a while. I have a 91 and a 92. To the OP, if you can get to Tucson, you could borrow my 91 for a weekend. To see how it is to live with an ST.

Both are great bikes, and I got them for very nice prices. The 91 has 117k on it, has a 40 amp alternator, cruise control, grip heaters, custom seat, and shiny, nice looking Tupperware. It was $1300. The 92 doesn't look as nice, but it's only got 40k on it. That one was $1600. Both have helibars, btw.

Yes they are heavy, and picking one up is a pain. But moving, they are not so heavy, they have great brakes, and lots of smooth power. Out on the Interstate, they pretty much loaf along. & IMHO, the V4 is the best.
  13. lulu

lulu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had one when I was a grad student, I put 20,000 miles on it and never was worried about breaking down.

The position isn't bad at all (I'm 6'1"). It's not really the lack of room for the legs that upset me, it's the fact that the fake tank was too large and it spread my knees apart too much. On long trips, it hurt. Reaching the bars was not a problem, but I never had hand surgery.

They're also heavy at very low speed, and they're difficult to maneuver on a parking lot. It's better to plan parking accordingly. I did drop it a few times but had no problem picking it up. You just have to push hard for 2 seconds. But I'm only saying this because you mentioned your hand surgery. It was just a small detail to me, because it is a great bike otherwise. Besides, I liked the weight on the highway. It's very stable in case of wind gusts.

I did try something more modern (a 2013 F700GS that I bought new). Compared with the st1100 there were various pros and cons; the wind noise in particular was unbearable at "high" speeds. Day long highway rides would be impossible. And I could buy 5 st1100 for the price I paid for that F700GS. Not worth it.

Babies, then seriously ill wife pushed me away from motorcycle touring but I wouldn't look for another bike if I could ride again. Thinking about it, I prefer to have a 2000$ motorcycle that I can just throw away if it breaks or if I fall rather than a 10,000 or 20,000$ one that's going to give me some headaches.

I gave the bike to a friend who never got used to it and did not make much effort to sell it. It is now located in Portland, and I think he could sell it for a very low price.