Taller 5th gear for XR650L???

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Jud, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to do alot of 4wheeling. In that hobby there is a huge cottage industry that sells customers steeper gearing for their Xfer cases. That way you can have your cake and eat it too. Much lower gearing when "wheeling" and the ability to cruise at reasonable hwy speeds.

Apparently the Japanese can't get their heads outta their rump and offer a dualsport with a decent wide ratio tranny. Close ratio for the first four or so gears for trail performance and a tall OD top gear for the hwy ala Husky 610. So question is, does anyone offer a set of drop in taller gears for the XR650L?
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Not to my knowledge. You could search different models, XR, NX for the 5th gear tooth count but I don't know of anything like your request. Going 1 tooth up on the front will be to much, The engine gust doesn't have the beans to pull it. Going down 1 or 2 on the rear might work as long as your not trail riding the bike.
  3. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    Change out the second gear too close the 1st-2nd gap with an NX650 2nd gear (16teeth) and leave the final drive gearing at 15/45..........you can crawl through the woods in 1st and 2nd and fly down the highway at 65-70 with no probs..i`ve had mine with some engine mods up to 110 mph on my GPS and if i tucked down i`d get a little more.........can`t see me doing that again.................how fast do you think a dirtbike should go:lol3 :lol3

B
  4. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to be able to keep up with traffic at around 80-85mph on the interstate while not revving the poo outta it. Then run rocks on OHV trails. Either a deeper 1st gear or a taller 5th will work.
  5. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't care if the engine can't pull 5th to redline. I just want it running at a much more relaxed rpm while cruising on the hwy. My wifes Ascot can cruise all day at 80mph because of the tall 6th OD. Husky seems to get it with their tall 6th gear, how come the Japanese can't seem to figure this out? They did way back in 83 then forgot it apparently.
  6. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see a KLR in your future
  7. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really?

Maybe as a commuter...then he could buy a dirtbike for the rocks. :lol3
  8. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    No interest what-so-ever in a KLR. Already have a DR650 and it sucks everywhere, just not as bad as the KLR.:evil :rofl

A cheaper, simpler Husky TE610 is what I want.:1drink The XR is cheap to buy and maintain. Cheap and easy to mod into exactly what you what as it arguably has the largest aftermarket support. It's air cooled. It's easy to maintain too but it has one problem, you can gear it low for fun or gear it high for the hwy but you can't have both like you can with the Husky. A tall top gear would fix that and why Honda nor Suzuki can do it is beyond my comprehension. Oh yea, did I mentien it's air cooled.:wink:
  9. Onederer

Onederer Crunch Nugget

Oddometer:
    Then buy something else :cry
  10. LRPct

LRPct Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately it seems carrying and changing CS sprockets might be the best solution for you.. Some guys actually do it, and rather quickly even. Not this one.. I just enjoy my "not simple" 610.. :evil
  11. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    and that's what this thread is about.:evil

If I can use the aftermarket or creative OEM swapping to fix what I see as the XR's main issue vs the Husky I'll get it. If not, I'll spend the extra money and get the Husky.:1drink
  12. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I have done a couple times on my DR650 {clip holding the front sprocket and no cover}. And yes, it looks like I might end up having a "not simple" and more costly 610.:deal
  13. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    Start shopping.
  14. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to update this thread with relevant info in case anyone finds this post during a search. Apparently Honda did make a taller 5th gear for the XR650L,,,,,,,,,,,,, it was installed in their FMX650 which was a Euro spec bike built between 05 and 09.

Getting it here will cost a bit due to shipping but I will be investigating it because from what I here, it's taller ratio is roughly equal to running a tooth less on the front or three teeth higher on the rear. If true, I could run a 14T front an a 48T rear and be fairly cool on the interstate.:evil

Will also try to get a NX650 2nd gear to pop in while the cases are split. The NX650 is a bit lower than the OEM XR650L 2nd gear and helps quell the huge hole between 1st and 2nd.
  15. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:

If you can get a part number, talk to some of our friends that traverse the pond and see if one is will to bring it home with them or willing to buy it and ship it to you.

If you do get a part number please post it!
  16. f-five

f-five Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm running a nx650 2nd gear, 15/43 gearing, JE hi comp piston, fmf power bomb header, super trap can, K&N filter, Dyno jet kit. The bike purrs at 80 and still has enough down low to play in the woods. I recently put 1000 miles on it over a weekend, rode it 80mph from northern Missouri to northern Arkansas, spent 2 days playing in the hills on twisty 2 lane, gravel, and single track then jumped back on the black top and headed home.
  17. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember a thread that had a part# in it. I'll look for it as I really would like to have that taller 5th. I read where the taller 5th is roughly equal to three teeth on the rear or 1 tooth on the front and to me, that would be well worth it. If and when I do it, I'll add the NX650 2nd gear to it to get 1st and 2nd a bit closer as I will admit, the big hole between those two gears is aggravating in some terrain.
  18. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

That 15/43 is very tall compared to what I'm running, a 14/45 right now and that is too tall for some trails I ride and too short for interstate rides on Ga400 {need 75-80mph cruise} so the taller 5th would do me perfectly as I would like to run 14/48 and still be able to hit the interstate.
  19. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like the taller sixth your bike has.
    The FMX650 fifth gear is 5% taller. 20 versus 21 teeth. I think in the XRL thread someone did a group buy and they were around $180.
    The lower 2nd gear from an NX650 is available at your favorite Honda dealer for around $40.
    If I keep my L long enough to need the bottom end apart both gears will go in.

One problem here is power. A bike with a true top speed of less than 100mph can't be expected to cruise comfortably at 85mph. Gear it super tall and it just won't pull the gearing.

My bike has been around the entire Bismarck national enduro trail with 15/48 gearing. Just never come to a complete stop, always keep rolling. Mo is your friend.
  20. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right, a stock bike with a tall 5th and stock 15/45 gearing may not be able to pull that tall 5th but I don't care. I want to run 14/48 and still be able to get on the interstate which the taller 5th would allow for. Additionally, even if one were to run stock 15/45 gearing with the taller 5th,,,, cruising at 75mph would be entirely possible and it would be at a lower, more sedate rpm. I love my wife's Ascot VT500 which has a OD 6th gear. While it way not be able to run much more than 100mph {if that's even possible}, it can cruise comfortably at 75-85mph all day long.:1drink

And power, that easily addressed,,,,,,,,, easier than the tranny's gear spread anyway.